Clipper creek portable level 2 20amp

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSki

This doesn't look too bad for a portable solution.

http://insideevs.com/clippercreek-launches-lcs-25p-worlds-smallest-cord-and-plug-connected-20-amp-charger/

Yes. It's a solid choice but I don't think it does 120v so building an openEVSE in a small box is the best option. Some people like the upgraded L1 from EVSEupgrade but with the Rav4 bricks it's only 12A at 240v. 20A would require the Nissan unit but that's expensive.

In case it's not obvious from the above posts, Clipper Creek is now selling the LCS-25 with a cord and plug for $549. It can deliver up to 4.8kW (240V 20A) to any J-1772 equipped EV. Since it has a plug, it's no longer rated for outdoor use even though you could use a weather resistant plug-in box. They offer it with either L6-30P (Twist-Lock) or NEMA 14-30P (typical clothes dryer) plugs. This is probably the cheapest and easiest solution if you need to charge at a friend or relative's house that has an accessible outlet for an electric clothes dryer.

I don't see why you would fault this device for not supporting 120VAC. The car comes with one that supports the maximum power you can draw from a normal 15 amp outlet.

I built a Open EVSE.

$130 for the DIY board, display and current transformer.
$22 for a 50 amp relay.
$12 for a 6X6X4 box.
$15 for a 14-50 plug.
$6 for 2 foot of SOOW 6-3.
$175 for 20' 45 amp J1772 cable.
$30 for misc hardware, switch, solder, strain reliefs, misc electric parts.
$390 total.

My Open EVSE will do 120V at up to 20 amps and 240V at up to 45 amps, weighs about 8 lbs plus the cable.

Back to the original topic,

I bought the Clipper Creek 20a EVSE. Put my own plug, made an extension cord, ect.

Drove to the parents house last weekend. 104 miles each way, so did the extended charge

Plugged into the dryer outlet, 9 hour charge to full. No issues. Charged while I slept.

I think this is nearly ideal as a portable charger for $495. I probably could build my own, but didn't want to go through the effort. I think the only time I'd need this is on overnights to family/friend's homes that would not have easily accessible 240v power at more than 30a.

Still waiting for Chademo

Weekdayskier said:
Back to the original topic,

I bought the Clipper Creek 20a EVSE. Put my own plug, made an extension cord, ect.

Drove to the parents house last weekend. 104 miles each way, so did the extended charge

Plugged into the dryer outlet, 9 hour charge to full. No issues. Charged while I slept.

I think this is nearly ideal as a portable charger for $495. I probably could build my own, but didn't want to go through the effort. I think the only time I'd need this is on overnights to family/friend's homes that would not have easily accessible 240v power at more than 30a.

Still waiting for Chademo
For half the price you can have the OEM brick upgraded to 12a 240v by evseupgrade.com. Sure it is slower but if spending the night it is an option for less money.

Thought about that, but charging for 12-14 hours doesn't appeal to me. Also thought about open evse, but decided to go with one already built, from a local company with a good reputation. Guess that's just me

ehelmholtz said:
Yes. It's a solid choice but I don't think it does 120v so building an openEVSE in a small box is the best option. Some people like the upgraded L1 from EVSEupgrade but with the Rav4 bricks it's only 12A at 240v. 20A would require the Nissan unit but that's expensive.

Some are on sale:

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=25

Back