Cruise Control System died

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry_in_Seattle

I use cruise control often. Today it worked great, as usual, until it didn't. After using it on the freeway I exited onto surface streets. When I tried to set it (while going maybe 25-30 mph) it just wouldn't activate. The Icon was lit, but when I pushed the lever down to set it... nothing happened. hmmm

After my meeting I didn't try using it until I got back to the freeway. This time the icon didn't light up at all and the "Check Cruise Control System" error message came up instead. Anyone else experience this? Haven't tried power cycling 4-5 times yet but hope it's a temporary problem. Outside temps in the 40's at the time, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it.

view

(Any idea why my image file link doesn't work? It's a google drive file.)

I can consistently get the "Check Cruise Control System" if I use CC, stop place in park, then on my way again without cycling the main power switch and the CC will give error when I press set or resume.
Resets and works fine again when power is cycled.

If the Cruise Control still doesn't work after a full power off and power on, engage over 30mph with your foot off both pedals, then you have a problem that requires attention. Most of the time, this error will be cleared with a full power cycle. Annoyingly, it is completely un-usable until you pull over and do the power cycle.

davewill said:
The couple of times I've run into this, I've found that I was in "B" mode without remembering that I was.
The difference is that in B mode you can turn on the Cruise and there will be no error message, it just won't engage. Once you get the Check Cruise Control error on the screen inset on the right side of the dash, you can clear it by turning off the Cruise. However, it will chime at you and put up the error every time you turn the Cruise back on until you park and power cycle the car.

miimura said:
davewill said:
The couple of times I've run into this, I've found that I was in "B" mode without remembering that I was.
The difference is that in B mode you can turn on the Cruise and there will be no error message, it just won't engage. Once you get the Check Cruise Control error on the screen inset on the right side of the dash, you can clear it by turning off the Cruise. However, it will chime at you and put up the error every time you turn the Cruise back on until you park and power cycle the car.
No, I've managed to get the error, and have the fix be get out of "B" mode (and possibly turn CC of and on, I don't remember). I agree it doesn't usually give an error, but there is some state the cruise control gets into where you get the error every time you try and set speed. It may not require using "B" mode, and maybe that was just coincidental, but it seemed to be so for me.

Back