ECO Coach

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starlight

Does anybody know what it is that makes the efficiency percentage higher or lower?

Currently my average says 65/100

What I am hoping for is actual advice that tells you what to to improve the percentage- for example- accelerate fast vs. slow, driving slower or faster, or does it mainly depend on the type of area you are driving in, steep up hill climb vs. down hill, etc?

Thanks bunches :)

I'll bite.

I've been watching my acceleration patterns and have found that keeping the power bar (green and white vertical indicator to the left of the GOM) in the green will give you at least 80% score. BUT, I don't think that's the whole story. On occasion, I've had to give the car more juice to keep up with the initial surge of traffic when the light turns green. I have also found that the short blast of power doesn't penalize you so long as you let off the power slightly but CONTINUE to accelerate steadily (but slowly) up to your desired speed. Conclusion, the acceleration score will not show up until you've reached a steady speed, so you CAN get away with a short burst of power early in the process.

I'm at a total loss for how to maximize the SPEED score... Total loss.

Braking, I'm not very good at either. I've ridden the brakes and gotten 100%, and also gotten 40%. I've used B mode and gotten 100% and also gotten 20%. I'm trying to feel the transition from regen to braking, and I just can't quite figure it out... I will say this... I hate having to come to a COMPLETE stop in order to see my braking score... Didn't Toyota know that they were selling these cars to Californians??? LOL!

Jscifres said:
I'll bite.

I've been watching my acceleration patterns and have found that keeping the power bar (green and white vertical indicator to the left of the GOM) in the green will give you at least 80% score. BUT, I don't think that's the whole story. On occasion, I've had to give the car more juice to keep up with the initial surge of traffic when the light turns green. I have also found that the short blast of power doesn't penalize you so long as you let off the power slightly but CONTINUE to accelerate steadily (but slowly) up to your desired speed. Conclusion, the acceleration score will not show up until you've reached a steady speed, so you CAN get away with a short burst of power early in the process.

I'm at a total loss for how to maximize the SPEED score... Total loss.

Braking, I'm not very good at either. I've ridden the brakes and gotten 100%, and also gotten 40%. I've used B mode and gotten 100% and also gotten 20%. I'm trying to feel the transition from regen to braking, and I just can't quite figure it out... I will say this... I hate having to come to a COMPLETE stop in order to see my braking score... Didn't Toyota know that they were selling these cars to Californians??? LOL!

Thanks for your input. I was getting confused as to why suddenly after being at 77/100 I would be at 29/100. And the point you made about trying to stay in the green was great. That advice to try to stay in the green helped me to do better so far :). But I'm going to have to weigh out the importance of getting good ECO numbers versus getting someone upset about the slow speed I'm going :)

I would have gladly given up a hundred "ECO Coaches" for just one measley battery energy (charge level) gauge! :mrgreen:

Yes, the Eco Coach is a mystery. I drove 55 miles to the office and averaged 3.5 mi/kWh and had a score of 85. Then on the way home I also averaged 3.5 kWh but I had a score of less than 50. Seems odd to me that my "Eco" score is so disassociated from my driving efficiency.

I have chosen to mostly ignore the coach (bad coach!) and pay attention to the efficiency average and the shorter term bar graph. Also I glance a bit at the GoM and the odometer.

One time it was very confusing as the whole 20 mile trip it looked like I was at least 80/100 or higher, and then when I parked the car, it said I had a 52/100 average.

I probably should just not worry about what the percentages are, and just drive the car :)

When I use the eco coach I found out how to get hi 90s and I occasionally see a 100. To get a good acceleration score you use the power meter on the left side of the instrument cluster. Try to keep the power meter steady in the middle until you reach the speed you want. For speed you need to try and maintain the same speed without fluctuating. For braking you have to try and coast as long as possible to a stop. Doing this will get you good numbers. Each score affects the Cycle of accel, speed, and brake. The score resets after every cycle and after you turn off the power your average score for the drive is displayed to you. I'm going to try to drive like this for the month but its not as much fun as driving it like you stole it.

The really odd thing is that in a BEV, I think it is imperative to have an auto-resettable trip odometer. If you forget to reset it, you really have no simple "at-a-glance" way to figure out how far you've driven since your last recharge to use as a backup to the GoM. There should be another "special" odometer controlled by computer, dedicated to that function that auto-resets after completion of a full charge which is not manually resettable.

Btw, there is such a feature in the Chevy Volt - displayed on the center console in the "LEAF" mode - even though it is not a 100% battery powered drivetrain. It automatically resets itself after every full recharge. In addition, it has two manually resettable trip odometers (A and B) just like most ICE cars, same as the RAV4 EV. However, the VOLT does not have nearly the same battery depletion (or so-called "fuel") gauge. Rather, it has a readout (also on the center console LEAF display mode) that keeps track of how much useable battery capacity has been used. That being about 10.5kWh on the VOLT. A similar readout of used up battery capacity on the RAV4 EV would be desireable as well.of

A little update- this past day or so I have been really concentrating on staying in the green, and of course it means going extra slow up steep hills, and have been able to average 85/100. . . .

starlight said:
A little update- this past day or so I have been really concentrating on staying in the green, and of course it means going extra slow up steep hills, and have been able to average 85/100. . . .

Congratulations, and I noticed you are currently sitting at 2nd place on the Entunes ECO Ranking!

I'm at 6th! And really want to move into the top 5! :)

Jscifres said:
starlight said:

Congratulations, and I noticed you are currently sitting at 2nd place on the Entunes ECO Ranking!

I'm at 6th! And really want to move into the top 5! :)

May you reach the top 5 Very Soon !!!

Starlight,
I see you are now #1 on Entune for the ECO Score with a score of 91.....what have you figured out about how the scores are calculated since your last post in January?

Based on my experience, it's probably calculated using a random number generator between 1-100.

Does it take you guys forever to get a Braking rating? On many trips I never even get one.

Then, Speed and Acceleration ratings will reset (disappear) if I stop for too long at a light. Is that normal?

Back