Electronic Brake Assist Vacuum/Pump Really Loud

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locman

In new member thread I complained about the noise when braking. I believe Tony correctly identified it as the brake assist. It's the brake vacuum/pump? I would describe the noise as electro-mechanical like the lowering of landing gear in airplane.

So I guess the noise is normal. But the noise level is really loud!
I say this because I drove another rav4ev, and I could hardly hear it. I would say my car is 4x as loud compare to the other rav4ev. Loud enough to be a distraction.

I'm thinking of bringing it in for a look. But should I be concern and bring it in immediately? or should I "break-in" the car a bit more and give it a chance to work itself out. Maybe the noise will subside after it's "broken-in"? Otherwise it's driving/braking perfectly at 400mi so far.

-locman

My 2012 Rav4 EV makes the same noise when braking, and it's the loudest sound the car makes. That having been said, we've gotten used to it. However, if it's not supposed to be that loud, please let us know so we can get it fixed!

Blastphemy, If I may ask how many miles do you have on your RAV? And is the noise level the same now compare to the day you got it?
I really don't know if it's harmless or a potential problem, but for sure it's much louder than one other rav i drove.
I'm going to drive it for a while and see. I really don't want them to touch it if it's harmless.

The noise level is the same now as it was 5,138 miles ago.

I hear the sound when I first turn on the car, when I'm using the brakes, and sometimes just when the car is slowing down. It sounds like either an electronic "grinding" sound, a compressor, or a toy motor revving up to add pressure to the brakes.

But aside from a little whine when accelerating quickly, I don't hear the "engine" at all - just road noise from the tires.

Sounds like I have somewhat a different noise than you guys when I brake or maybe the same. I usually hear it during the first drive and anytime letting the car sit more than a few hours. It almost sounds like using a bike brake how the plastic sounds when you apply the brakes on a cheap rubber brake. The sound would only happen when I slightly apply the brake pedal. Any more and the sound goes away.

Back