Entune and Pandora/iHeartRadio No Sound

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshAndClean

I've had a ton of problems with Entune. One of the annoying problems I've noticed has to do with the Pandora Entune app.

I have an iPhone4S with iOs 6.2.1. When I run the Pandora app from the Rav4 App Touchscreen with the USB connected to my iPhone, no sound comes out. Looks like the Rav's USB/iPod connection overrides the bluetooth (Pandora/iHeartRadio) sound input to the radio system. When you have the iPhone disconnected from USB, bluetooth audio from the Entune's Pandora works normally.

Anyone else experience this or can test this out too?

Is it possible you inadvertently have your iPhone speaker output turned off, or volume slider at zero? If so, that would explain A LOT! :mrgreen:

Dsinned, yes I've tried both turning up the sound on the Rav4 AND my iphone handset. This was a suggestion by the Entune technical support that I've spent this whole week talking to.

Did you try what I am describing? Get Pandora to work in your normal fashion over bluetooth, then plug your phone into the USB/aux connection. Does Pandora work after you plugged your phone into the car?

This happens to me on the iPhone 5. It's the phone I think. I get it to work two different ways. After you plug the cord into the iPhone either hit pause and than play on the phone or close and relaunch pandora on the phone (you have to quit the app not just close the winow). I think this happens to me because of the 8 pin connector on the iPhone 5. Less pins for communication.

No, I haven't tried Pandora yet either way. I usually only listen to my own recordings of songs via my iPhone 4S iPOD mode via a USB connection in my car(s). Have you tried disabling Bluetooth on your iPhone BEFORE trying Pandora via USB? An existing Bluetooth connection with your phone may take precedence so you don't miss incoming phone calls.

Pandora works over the USB connection when you run the native Pandora app on the iPhone because it knows to use the "portable player". But it does not output sound when connected to the USB connection when you run the rav4 Entune app (which uses your phones Bluetooth connection and is controlled through the rav4 touchscreen). Entune uses the Bluetooth and your phone's cellular connection to download data to the entune native pandora app. The phone itself does not output sound because it is used solely as a data connection for the rav4 apps... But since you are connected via USB there is a bug in the rav4 radio which thinks that it needs to pull sound from the iPhone which is only used for data. Thus there is no sound. When you pull the iPhone off the USB connection, it plays audio correctly via the Bluetooth data connection.

I have noticed the same problem. VERY annoying when you want to charge your phone but use an Entune app for music.

Definitely a bug, not a feature.

I normally use the entune pandora function with my iPhone 5. I stopped using the USB port in the Rav because of the no sound situation. I also make sure that the entune app on my phone has been opened. It can be on in the background and doesn't have to actually be on the screen of the phone. Doing this makes it so the Rav connects to the phone and starts playing music from pandora everytime I go for a drive. It makes it nice and seamless. Anytime it hasn't worked I found that I had forced quit all my apps. I will then reopen the entunes app and cycle through sources on the steering wheel control until apps is the selected source. I have a USB power cord in the cigarette power port.

FreshAndClean said:
Pandora works over the USB connection when you run the native Pandora app on the iPhone because it knows to use the "portable player". But it does not output sound when connected to the USB connection when you run the rav4 Entune app (which uses your phones Bluetooth connection and is controlled through the rav4 touchscreen). Entune uses the Bluetooth and your phone's cellular connection to download data to the entune native pandora app. The phone itself does not output sound because it is used solely as a data connection for the rav4 apps... But since you are connected via USB there is a bug in the rav4 radio which thinks that it needs to pull sound from the iPhone which is only used for data. Thus there is no sound. When you pull the iPhone off the USB connection, it plays audio correctly via the Bluetooth data connection.
Same thing with my '12 Plug in Prius. Might be across the entire Toyota/Entune lineup. I too have found the cig. lighter adapter the only way to get audio.

I have several issues with iPhone 5 and Entune.

1) When using the USB port, things get wacky and I get no sound. So avoid the USB for now if using Entune.

2) Usually when using Entune and iPhone is connected over bluetooth, things work. However, once in a while Pandora gets stuck where there is no sound and I cannot "unpause" the music. There's a foolproof way to easily get it unstuck. I click the Radio button and select either an FM or AM station. Make sure the radio audio starts to play, then flip back to Pandora and it should be unstuck.

This is clearly a bug, and I've tried to talk to the Entune tech support about it. The tech support person I spoke with was of no help and was even less informed than me. In fact she stated that iPhone was not supported by them and that if I was even able to get iPhone working, then that was great!! Can you believe that?!

I have also found that when listening to Pandora/iHeart Radio thru Entune and I shut everything (the car) off... the next time I get in the car and don't have Entune launched on the iPhone the audio reverts to the iTunes music library on the phone. I am then having to fumble with my phone to shut off iTunes and whatever song ends up playing. Usually happens when I'm backing out of the garage and down the driveway. No big deal really but as long as we are bitching...

skuld177 said:
The tech support person I spoke with was of no help and was even less informed than me. In fact she stated that iPhone was not supported by them and that if I was even able to get iPhone working, then that was great!! Can you believe that?!
I have encountered the same. Maybe even talked to the same person... :)

Yes I had same issue, and just got a 12v cig usb adaptor to keep my iPhone charged without having it plugged into the USB port.

Back