EV Rookie: Timeline Help

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gov

Thanks to everyone that has posted on this forum. Your insights have been very helpful. I'm new to the EV world and have lots of questions. I live in the Bay Area and I have a 78 mile roundtrip commute into SF. I've test driven the BMW I3, Mercedes B Class, Leaf, Model S, and the Rav4 EV. IMO the Rav4 has the greatest amount of value for my needs and commute.

I've read quite a bit about the Lease vs. Purchase. It seems the lease is the better option for me as I am looking at the Rav4 as a stop gap between now and a Tesla Model X or III. I want to save on gas and enjoy the carpool lane. I have never leased a car before so I know I sound "green" but need some facts as the Toyota Dealers I have worked with give lots of contradicting answers.

Leasing Questions...

What have most of you paid for your lease? (I saw mentioned a no money down recommendation)
What happens if the car breaks down during the lease? Is that covered?
What happens if the car shows wear and tear (Have 3 small kids) after the 36 month lease? Charged for it?
Did you have to pay Disposition Fee of $500?

Now for the Timeline questions...

After you sign the lease what is the process?
- Did you pay DMV fees at dealership? If so how much?
- How long to get the white HOV sticker?
- How long does it take to get a charger installed? Permits?
- Anyone recommend an installer/electrician in Fairfield area? Price?
- Can you get your car serviced at a different toyota dealership? How often does car need to be serviced?

The dealers I have talked to seem completely uninformed and quiet. They don't want to give out wrong info so they don't give out any. I have chatted with Berkeley, Walnut Creek, and Hilltop. Test drove at Hilltop but then they were asking for $421 per month with 4,500 down. Were super shady when I asked about fees and said they would make me a special offer that required $5k down and $365 per month.

NEED HELP! Thanks!

Call Dianne, she can answer all of your questions, give you the best price, and has the best service.

Dianne also has free shipping to Northern California through 8/4/14.

Edit: wow. like minds race to post...

Walnut Creek has a good reputation for servicing the RAV4 EV. You need to check which dealers are "EV Certified". They are listed prominently on the RAV4 EV pages on toyota.com, but their site is not easy to link into.

smkettner said:
35 x $500 = $17,500 + ~$19,000 residual = $36,500 effective buy price.

Don't forget that you'll have to pay CA sales tax - and whatever else you city / county piles on - on the $19K residual if you decide to buy at the end of the lease.

Just contacted Dianne... That was easy!

Docs sent. Will have car in the driveway late next week!

My lease payment from Berkeley Toyota is $487.23/month including tax for unlimited mileage. My first payment was due one month after I took the car. All the signing costs -- sales tax on capitalized cost reduction, DMV fees, and first month payment were paid by Toyota cash. I signed my name and drove off with the car. Expect your lease payment to be a little higher because the residuals dropped this month.

As far as price negotiation goes, the most important thing in my admittedly limited experience, is still the agreed upon sale price of the car. The lease financing fee is based on your credit score and dictated by Toyota. Residual value is also fixed by Toyota. I believe that this car is a break even for the dealer at $48,551 (including the delivery fee). When I negotiated my price, though, they quoted me an inappropriately high monthly payment, but they fixed it when I called them out on it. Remember, it doesn't matter if the dealer gets you to you sign your initials or get your verbal promise on a particular monthly payment -- there is ONE legally enforceable dealer lease contract in California, and words are meaningless until you sign it. If it doesn't look right or what you thought you were getting with the finance manager, walk out.

Here's an example of a no-money-down lease contract with unlimited miles: http://imageshack.us/a/img15/8920/bwt9.jpg

riderbike37 said:
Here's an example of a no-money-down lease contract with unlimited miles: http://imageshack.us/a/img15/8920/bwt9.jpg
Your contract shows a Toyota contribution of $15,400. I thought it was supposed to be $16,500, but I don't know when your contract was executed and what the actual Toyota contribution was at that time. The "Total Agreed Upon Value" of $48,195 seems low though. Did they fudge the numbers and push some of the Toyota money to the selling price? This would have a slight benefit for you as the taxes would be ever so slightly lower.

Now the clock is ticking to get some charging installed. Vehicle comes with 120v L1 cord but that is good for maybe 40 miles per day max.
For best results you need a dedicated 50 amp 240 volt circuit to connect a 40 amp evse such as Leviton.
I have 30 amp Schneider and it does fine.
You could get by on 20a L2 if you have an unused dryer outlet but that will be a bit slow.
If you pull wire go 50 amp.

miimura said:
riderbike37 said:
Your contract shows a Toyota contribution of $15,400. I thought it was supposed to be $16,500, but I don't know when your contract was executed and what the actual Toyota contribution was at that time. The "Total Agreed Upon Value" of $48,195 seems low though. Did they fudge the numbers and push some of the Toyota money to the selling price? This would have a slight benefit for you as the taxes would be ever so slightly lower.

No, that's an old example from the forum that I reposted because it's hard to find, but still useful for knowing what to look for even though the numbers have changed. It's not my contract.

smkettner said:
Now the clock is ticking to get some charging installed. Vehicle comes with 120v L1 cord but that is good for maybe 40 miles per day max.
For best results you need a dedicated 50 amp 240 volt circuit to connect a 40 amp evse such as Leviton.
I have 30 amp Schneider and it does fine.
You could get by on 20a L2 if you have an unused dryer outlet but that will be a bit slow.
If you pull wire go 50 amp.

If you want the full 40 amps into your new Rav4, put in a NEMA 14-50R outlet in the wall of your garage and buy a JESLA.

Back