EVSE Lvl-2 Charging Station Questions

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ground_gainer

Guys,

I am in the process of doing the paperwork to get a Rav4 EV shipped out here to Colorado and have a few charging station questions (this will be my first EV).

I already have a 240V/40amp plug in my garage with a NEMA 14-50 connector.

What kind of charging station will plug into this? It seems impossible to find out what the charging station 240V male plugs look like short of buying one and checking.

Any recommendations?

I was looking at the Leviton EVB32-5ML since I heard the Levitons were the ones Toyota recommends for the Rav4 EV. So I assume I will need some kind of adapter to plug this thing into my NEMA 14-50 female receptor?

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVB32-5ML-Evr-Green-Kilowatt-Charging/dp/B007Q0YYV8/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1368071259&sr=1-1&keywords=leviton+evse

I appreciate any insight you guys can share with an EVSE newbie.

Cheers!

Id just swap the nema 14-50 outlet to a 6-50... its Easy (i had to do the Reverse). Its only $8 at lowes or home Depot

Leviton EVB32-5ML product page is here and installation manual is here. The pre-wire kit is here and it includes the proper outlet (NEMA 6-50) and mounting bracket. The $75-$90 price for the pre-wire kit is exorbitant, but it will give the best installation. I bought the EVB40-5PT and the 6-50 outlet was only $10 at Home Depot. I just bought some 1/4" lag screws and screwed mine directly to the wall.

Me, I think converting from a NEMA 14-50R to a NEMA 6-50R would leave the "center-tap" wire dangling, no?

That said, why not purchase a very short converter between the two. The advantage of this approach is that you'd be able to deal better with the very typically extremely short lead coming out of the plug-endowed EVSEs I've seen (like my AeroVironment).

I'd also recommend looking hard at the length of cable you'll need. Many of the EVSEs have 15' or 16' cords. In my garage, the 25' cord was barely long enough given the unfortunate location of the charging port on the Rav4 EV.

ground_gainer said:
Any recommendations?
Before you get all caught up about matching your plug/receptacle, let's back up a minute and consider whether you even want that Leviton. I would first read through this thread about all the options out there. Lots of us ended up getting a really good deal on refurbished Clipper Creek CS-60s through this ebay seller, although it looks like he's out of stock for now. Right now, I'd say the best overall choice is picking up a Model S Mobile Connector and sticking a J1772 plug on it. It's a Tesla-powered EV so why not get a Tesla-made EVSE, right?

Getting back to the plug business, first thing you need to do is check whether your 14-50 receptacle is on a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit. Despite being a "50 amp" receptacle, code allows for it to be on a 40 amp circuit. And if it is only a 40 amp circuit, you can't then run a 40 amp EVSE on it without some work, so that'll limit your options a bit. And if it is a 50 amp circuit, why settle for a 32 amp EVSE like the Leviton you mentioned?

edmc said:
Me, I think converting from a NEMA 14-50R to a NEMA 6-50R would leave the "center-tap" wire dangling, no?.
When I changed my outlet, I put a wire nut and electrical tape on the Neutral wire and pushed it to the back of the electrical box. Regarding the length of the inlet cable - you're right it is very short. However, the EVB40-5PT is designed for flush mount, so you just mount the whole box so the plug is in the right place. The red and white plastic cover hides the plug and provides a nice way to coil the 25' cable.

fooljoe said:
ground_gainer said:
Any recommendations?
Before you get all caught up about matching your plug/receptacle, let's back up a minute and consider whether you even want that Leviton. I would first read through this thread about all the options out there. Lots of us ended up getting a really good deal on refurbished Clipper Creek CS-60s through this ebay seller, although it looks like he's out of stock for now. Right now, I'd say the best overall choice is picking up a Model S Mobile Connector and sticking a J1772 plug on it. It's a Tesla-powered EV so why not get a Tesla-made EVSE, right?

Getting back to the plug business, first thing you need to do is check whether your 14-50 receptacle is on a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit. Despite being a "50 amp" receptacle, code allows for it to be on a 40 amp circuit. And if it is only a 40 amp circuit, you can't then run a 40 amp EVSE on it without some work, so that'll limit your options a bit. And if it is a 50 amp circuit, why settle for a 32 amp EVSE like the Leviton you mentioned?
Toyota should just buy the Model S Mobile Connector from Tesla with a J1772 nozzle and include it with the car. So much hassle and extra expense for owners the way it is now.

Whatever EVSE you choose, I would retain the 14-50R on the wall and put a 14-50P on whatever you buy.

If you get the Tesla Model S 40 amp UMC (the portable), those can be purchased with a 14-50P and use at home and every RV park in the USA. Also, for about $45, you can get interchangable plugs for all kinds of things.

These plugs are "smart" and limit amps based on the plug used.

miimura said:
fooljoe said:
ground_gainer said:
Any recommendations?

Toyota should just buy the Model S Mobile Connector from Tesla with a J1772 nozzle and include it with the car. So much hassle and extra expense for owners the way it is now.
I second that suggestion... especially with the cost of the 120V Panasonic supplied unit. Question though... is the Tesla mobil connector 120V compatible as well as 240V?

TonyWilliams said:
Whatever EVSE you choose, I would retain the 14-50R on the wall and put a 14-50P on whatever you buy.

If you get the Tesla Model S 40 amp UMC (the portable), those can be purchased with a 14-50P and use at home and every RV park in the USA. Also, for about $45, you can get interchangable plugs for all kinds of things.

I was wondering - how would the Mobile Connector handle a 14-50 receptacle on a 40 amp circuit? I believe with a "real" Tesla in such a scenario you would be expected to dial down the amps from the dash, but of course we can't do that. Is there an adapter to purchase for a 40 amp receptacle? I can't even think of any 40 amp receptacles.

AvLegends said:
I second that suggestion... especially with the cost of the 120V Panasonic supplied unit. Question though... is the Tesla mobil connector 120V compatible as well as 240V?
Yes.

fooljoe said:
TonyWilliams said:

I was wondering - how would the Mobile Connector handle a 14-50 receptacle on a 40 amp circuit? I believe with a "real" Tesla in such a scenario you would be expected to dial down the amps from the dash, but of course we can't do that. Is there an adapter to purchase for a 40 amp receptacle? I can't even think of any 40 amp receptacles.

On a 40 amp circiut, I presume it would typically have a 30 amp plug, like a NEMA 10-30R, so you pop on the Tesla 10-30P adapter on the UMC and voila!, it only draws 30 amps.

I'm thinking about put a hard wired 14-50P on my UMC, and adding a rotary knob to manually change the resistance value to signal the amp load.

fooljoe said:
TonyWilliams said:

AvLegends said:
Yes.
If you have a 40 amp breaker with a NEMA 14-50 socket, you probably shouldn't use the Mobile Connector with the RAV because you would have no way to run it at the proper 32 amps. If you wanted to upgrade to a 50 amp breaker, you should verify with an electrician or building inspector that your existing wire can support it safely.

TonyWilliams said:
fooljoe said:
TonyWilliams said:

On a 40 amp circiut, I presume it would typically have a 30 amp plug, like a NEMA 10-30R, so you pop on the Tesla 10-30P adapter on the UMC and voila!, it only draws 30 amps.

I'm thinking about put a hard wired 14-50P on my UMC, and adding a rotary knob to manually change the resistance value to signal the amp load.
With a 30 amp plug, the EVSE should only pull 24 amps, right?

fooljoe said:
AvLegends said:
Yes.
Indeed, the "default" kit from Tesla comes with two "smart plug" adapters: 1) NEMA 14-50P, and 2) your friendly 120VAC plug (NEMA 5-15P)

Check it out on Tesla's Website

TonyWilliams said:

I think it's quite common to have 14-50 receptacles installed on 40 amp circuits, in which case a switch/knob like you suggest would really be needed. I checked Tesla's site and they have no 40amp plug adapters for the Mobile Connector, which means you're either charging at 24 amps (on a 30 amp circuit) or 40 amps (on a 50 amp circuit.) This seems to be an oversight on Tesla's part, as 40 amp circuits with 30/32 amp charging have become the most common scenario out there for home charging now.

One more question, since I have a 40A breaker on my circuit, can I get a 40A charging station like this one? http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=EVB40-SPT&section=37741&minisite=10251

Or should I stick with the 32A charging station? Clearly I don't want to be tripping breakers.

I really appreciate all the insight here--pretty close to making a decision on the way forward.

Cheers!

ground_gainer said:
One more question, since I have a 40A breaker on my circuit, can I get a 40A charging station like this one? http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=EVB40-SPT&section=37741&minisite=10251

Or should I stick with the 32A charging station? Clearly I don't want to be tripping breakers.

I really appreciate all the insight here--pretty close to making a decision on the way forward.

Cheers!

These are easy questions to answer. You can use a 30/32 amp EVSE now on that circuit, or change to a 50 amp breaker and pull through the appropriate gauge wire (typically 6 gauge)... then you can use the 40 amp EVSE.

http://www.amazon.com/AeroVironment-Plug-In-Residential-Charger-EVSE-RS/dp/B00AHG8XVA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=25FDA7GRFZ7L4&coliid=I27PFU2DHC6M7P

I love this idea because you can easily carry it with you. Visiting friends, grandma's house... and in desperation, a laundromat!

ground_gainer said:
Guys,

I am in the process of doing the paperwork to get a Rav4 EV shipped out here to Colorado and have a few charging station questions (this will be my first EV).

I already have a 240V/40amp plug in my garage with a NEMA 14-50 connector.

What kind of charging station will plug into this? It seems impossible to find out what the charging station 240V male plugs look like short of buying one and checking.

Any recommendations?

I was looking at the Leviton EVB32-5ML since I heard the Levitons were the ones Toyota recommends for the Rav4 EV. So I assume I will need some kind of adapter to plug this thing into my NEMA 14-50 female receptor?

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVB32-5ML-Evr-Green-Kilowatt-Charging/dp/B007Q0YYV8/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1368071259&sr=1-1&keywords=leviton+evse

I appreciate any insight you guys can share with an EVSE newbie.

Cheers!

I bought this one. It works well so far, isn't too ugly, and is reasonably priced.

(link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Evr-Green-Level-2-30-Amp-Indoor-Outdoor-EV-Charging-Station-with-Free-Installation-Kit-P00-EVKIT-030/204088633#.UY2JZILufe8 )

FYI this is a handy looking dongle I found on amazon for going from NEMA 6-50 to NEMA 14-50.

Saves you from having to splice some cables and might be good to throw in the trunk with the portable charger for those RV campgrounds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003J8NMF0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back