EVSE permits in San Diego

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longschlng22

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for a couple months before finally leasing a Rav4 EV. I had a question to everyone in regards to their EVSE chargers and getting the electrical work done for it. I bought a Siemens Versicharger that will pull 30A, but have gotten quotes for installing a NEMA plug and a 40A breaker in my panel. I have got 2 quotes at the moment, but they include some other electrical work. The plug and breaker for the EV alone have the 2 quotes differ significantly. One is 4 times the amount as the other. The more expensive option states in the quote that they are doing the permits and such, whereas the cheaper option does not mention anything. Do you guys have any details about the permits required if needed in Carlsbad?

longschlng22 said:
The more expensive option states in the quote that they are doing the permits and such, whereas the cheaper option does not mention anything. Do you guys have any details about the permits required if needed in Carlsbad?

I would just put in the plug whether a permit was required or not. This is stone age simple stuff, and I'm not keen on handing cash to a government employee for their permission.

Obviously, your threshold of rebellion will determine the outcome.

I have no idea if a permit is required in Carlsbad.

It is simple and I would do it myself, but wifey does not want me touching the panel to wire up some 220 V breaker.

Check your city's building inspection web site - or call them to see if a permit is required.

srl99 said:
Check your city's building inspection web site - or call them to see if a permit is required.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=15184

18.12.080 Permits—Required.permanent link to this piece of content

No electric wiring, devices, appliances or equipment shall be installed within or on any building, structure or premises nor shall any alteration without first securing a permit therefor from the building official except as stated in Section 18.12.090

Permits shall be obtained before or at the time work is started, except in cases where emergency or urgent necessity can be shown to exist provided a permit is obtained within twenty-four hours, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.

A separate permit shall be required for each building or structure which stands alone.

Permits for privately-owned conduits or other materials in public places and in and across streets and alleys may be issued only after approval has been granted for the installation by the city engineer. All work shall be done in accordance with law and special regulations applicable thereto.

Permits shall only be issued to contractors licensed by the state of California to engage in the business or act in the capacity of a contractor, relating to electrical inspection installation, and to persons holding a valid master electrician certificate of competency for work performed only on the property of his employer, or the owner.

(Ord. No. CS-129, § 1, 4-5-2011)

18.12.090 Permits—Exceptions.permanent link to this piece of content

No permit shall be required for minor repair work such as repairing flush or snap switches, replacing fuses, repairing lamp sockets and receptacles when such work is done in accordance with the provisions of this code.

No permit shall be required for the replacement of lamps or the connection of portable appliances to suitable receptacles which have been permanently installed.

No permit shall be required for the installation, alteration or repair of wiring, devices, appliances or equipment for the operation of signals or the transmission of intelligence (not including the control of lighting or appliance circuits) where such wiring, devices, appliances or equipment operate a voltage not exceeding twenty-five volts between conductors and do not include generating or transforming equipment capable of supplying more than one hundred watts of energy.

No permit shall be required for the installation, alteration or repair of electric wiring, devices, appliances and equipment installed by or for a public service corporation in the operation of signals or the transmission of intelligence.

No permit shall be required for the installation of temporary wiring for testing electrical apparatus or equipment.

(Ord. No. CS-129, § 1, 4-5-2011)

2nd contractors words:

"I'm sure the city would love to take your money but there's no need for a permit."

haha...

longschlng22 said:
2nd contractors words:

"I'm sure the city would love to take your money but there's no need for a permit."

haha...
They say that a lot because all the liability is on the owner. There is never a penalty on a contractor not pulling a permit. The owner has to pay the penalty, or it can be tacked on to your property tax bill. Of course the chance of anybody from the city finding out you added a circuit to your panel is slim to none, but the penalty thing is true regardless.

Also, while we are talking about "doing the right thing" - if you are not applying for special EV rate from the utility, you should tell them you have an EV anyway. It is a significant load that they should know about.

miimura said:
Also, while we are talking about "doing the right thing" - if you are not applying for special EV rate from the utility, you should tell them you have an EV anyway. It is a significant load that they should know about.

Read through this thread for SDG&E special rates for EVs.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=139096#p139096

longschlng22 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for a couple months before finally leasing a Rav4 EV. I had a question to everyone in regards to their EVSE chargers and getting the electrical work done for it. I bought a Siemens Versicharger that will pull 30A, but have gotten quotes for installing a NEMA plug and a 40A breaker in my panel. I have got 2 quotes at the moment, but they include some other electrical work. The plug and breaker for the EV alone have the 2 quotes differ significantly. One is 4 times the amount as the other. The more expensive option states in the quote that they are doing the permits and such, whereas the cheaper option does not mention anything. Do you guys have any details about the permits required if needed in Carlsbad?

I believe you should get a permit if required but it is pretty simple to do so. Some city's require you to let your utility know about an EVSE installation so the utility can make sure they have the infrastructure to handle the increased load. Tony mentioned that is the right thing to do. The different quotes may have been because the high one figured on a couple of hours to pull the permit. You don't need to pay electricians rates to pull a permit, you just need information about the work that is being done.

I would say regardless of whether or not a permit is required, that you should get one for an EVSE circuit. It is providing a continuous load that will let you know the hard way if you made a mistake when the new circuit was installed. The RAV4EV chargers are particularly capable of testing the limits of EVSEs and circuits. If it causes a fire, and you are found not to have a permit, you are opening yourself up to some seriously liability, not the least of which is your homeowners insurance having an out for not paying for repairs.

For me, the permit was $90 and I could do apply for it online. Even though the inspector did a half a$$ job inspecting it, the fact that I did pull a permit and allowed the circuit to be inspected is good peace of mind in case something in the future did happen.

And, like a previous posted mentioned, you might want to mention the fact that you're installing an EVSE to them too. Someone, either in this forum or another EV forum, didn't and after a transformer went out in his neighborhood, the utility tried billing him for the repairs. In my case, I was encouraged to mention my EVSE to my utility since they provided generous rebates for installing them, but even if they didn't, I still would make sure they knew about it.

Back