EVSE question - weatherproof?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemo1904

I am waiting on a RAV4EV, and am preparing to install a home charger. I would like to charge in my driveway - is anyone aware of a definitive statement by toyota or leviton about any risk in rain ( I'm in San Diego)?
I've gotten 2 conflicting answers from leviton reps answering their 800 number. I've seen outside chargers advertised for the leaf. I've seen other EVs plugged in at public stations in the rain.
Does anyone have an EVSE setup that's been through a rainfall?

TIA

I have the Leviton EVB40 amp unit. The guts are within a powder coated? steel container that has a fairly robust rubber seal. The lid fits rather tight against this seal. I suspect that it will take a lot of moisture. Not sure how you would install. However you could have an overhang to protect the system from direct heavy rainfall. As for connecting to the car in the rain. From what I understand the system is pretty robust. Even in the rain you have a decent seal when you plug the J1772 into the Rav4EV. I have not looked but would imagine that there is some sort of drain around the female connector inside the door where you plug your unit into the car. I have enclosed what is on the brochure as far as environmental conditions. I think the system is well made. They did a lot of testing to get their UL approvals.
Environmental Specifications
Operating Temperature -35°C to 50°C
Storage Temperature -50°C to 80°C
Operating Humidity 95% non-condensing
Enclosure NEMA Type 4*
Cat. No Description
EVB40
NEMA Type 4 Enclosure - The EVSE has a watertight (NEMA 4) rating. Use of UL listed watertight conduit compression fittings is required to maintain the watertight (NEMA 4) rating. Use electrically conductive UL listed thread sealant (KOPR-SHIELD®) to prevent water/moisture from entering or accumulating within the box, conduit body or fitting.
• UL and cUL Listed.
For outdoor installations, hard-wire connection is required. The EVSE has a watertight (NEMA 4) enclosure which houses critical electronics. Use of UL-listed watertight conduit compression fitting is required to maintain the watertight (NEMA 4) rating. Use electrically-conductive, UL-listed thread sealant (KOPR-SHIELD®) to prevent water/moisture from entering or accumulating within the box, conduit body, or fitting. Per NEC Article 250, the conduit must have continuity from the hub to the service entrance.

Hope that helps,
Manny

I've got a refurbished Clipper Creek CS-60 mounted on the side of my house and I park my Rav out in the open in my driveway. No problems in the rain whatsoever.

The Leviton EVB40-PST is advertised to be waterproof. Per the user guide " NEMA Type 4 Enclosure - Protects electronics against exposure to weather. Outdoor rated to be water-tight, dust-tight, and sleet resistant." See http://evsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/PK-93979-10-00-0A-X2_0.pdf

I have mine mounted outside on the side of my house, under an overhang. No problems at all, but this winter hasn't been much of a test.

Not being 100% sure myself, I installed mine in the basement, with the disconnect immediately adjacent. Then I put a weatherproof cover on the house, and cut a hole thru the exterior wall under it. I can pull the handle and cord out to the car, then in the morning put it all back thru the hole into the basement. Nothing shows on the exterior, I can reach in and grab the cord and pull it all out, and it feels safer overall. I've plugged in and unplugged while its been raining a pretty fair bit - no problems so far!

Thank you for your responses. My idea is similar to Tadol's.
I appreciate your input.
Will let you know how it goes.

nemo,
Many of the EVSEs are rated for indoor/outdoor use but to be installed outdoors, my understanding is that the unit has to be hardwired. My suggestion is to install the unit indoors in your garage, just inside the garage door; I think this is the most flexible installation location. If you also have a 25 feet J1772 cable on it, I bet you can reach the driveway. I had this Blink unit installed that way, closing the garage door on the cable at night charging and it works well.

ehelmholtz said:
nemo,
Many of the EVSEs are rated for indoor/outdoor use but to be installed outdoors, my understanding is that the unit has to be hardwired. My suggestion is to install the unit indoors in your garage, just inside the garage door; I think this is the most flexible installation location. If you also have a 25 feet J1772 cable on it, I bet you can reach the driveway. I had this Blink unit installed that way, closing the garage door on the cable at night charging and it works well.
Be careful closing a garage door on the cable. The Leviton 40A unit has a substantially thicker cable than the 30A units so I would provide some relief in the area where the cable goes under.

As I stated this is from Leviton's install sheet for the unit. It says

"For outdoor installations, hard-wire connection is required. The EVSE has a watertight (NEMA 4) enclosure which houses critical electronics. Use of UL-listed watertight conduit compression fitting is required to maintain the watertight (NEMA 4) rating. Use electrically-conductive, UL-listed thread sealant (KOPR-SHIELD®) to prevent water/moisture from entering or accumulating within the box, conduit body, or fitting. Per NEC Article 250, the conduit must have continuity from the hub to the service entrance." Further in the install they spell out what materials you can use to insure the unit is water tight.
Manny

If the EVSE is rated for outdoors and is properly installed to code... then it is perfectly safe to use in ALL weather conditions.

The only issue I have read is water freezing in the connector preventing proper insertion.

Picked my Rav4 EV this week, and it's charging in the driveway. Of course, this is SoCal, so no weather testing for about 6 months.

Back