First RAV4 EV Outside of California

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@SeattleRAV4 - have you contacted anyone from Toyota USA regarding their position on servicing the RAV4ev outside of CA or just your local dealerships? I'm in AZ and facing a similar issue, in fact it's one of the only things that's holding me back right now. If they refuse to service outside of CA I don't want to end up with a $50k boat anchor. Shipping back and forth to CA for service would add up quickly :(

It seems like most of the vehicle is a standard RAV4 platform with the exception of the drivetrain. I would guess many of the components such as rack and pinion and A/C are similar as on a Prius - just a plug-and-play electronically driven component.

Richard C. said:
I need to wait until Jan. 1 however, since I currently own a Volt, and have already used this year's federal rebate.
It's NOT a "rebate"! It's a tax credit and you don't have to wait . . . you are eligible for the tax credit on EACH qualifying EV you "buy" even all in the same year! I refer to this as "double dipping" from the Federal government, but there is absolutely no restrictions whatsoever for this tax credit even on multiple EV purchases. However, if your tax burden is substantially less than $15,000 in 2012, you may want to wait so you get the max benefit spread over two tax years.

I checked this out thoroughly before I bought a "second" EV (i.e. my RAV4 EV) this year. It is perfectly legal! It even says so right on the tax form.

As you must know, if you wait . . . after January 7th, you will potentially lose the 0%APR financing "AND" the $5000 discount on a new RAV4 EV purchase! :shock:

SparkyAZ said:
@SeattleRAV4 - have you contacted anyone from Toyota USA regarding their position on servicing the RAV4ev outside of CA or just your local dealerships?

Toyota USA told me to check with local dealerships, and if they're willing to service it (and have techs trained), it's cool. My local dealership has 3 techs with the training required for the Rav4 EV. As you know, dealerships make more $$ on servicing than new car sales, so you should be able to find a nearby dealership willing to commit to servicing your EV.

Dsinned said:
It's NOT a "rebate"! It's a tax credit and you don't have to wait . . . you are eligible for the tax credit on EACH qualifying EV you "buy" even all in the same year!

Thanks, Dsinned .... my mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

My wife and I each purchased 2013 Volts, so with a $15,000 tax credit due, I better wait until Jan. 1 to purchase the Rav EV. Not sure if my tax liabilities are sufficient to handle another $7,500 credit! Comfortable, but not a wealthy man. The Volt is a great car, but I purchased it because I thought at the time that the Rav EV was unobtainable for me. Glad that isn't the case.

After a lot of hoops and questions, I settled on a white one and signed the papers yesterday. Folsom Lake Toyota has been great. It should go on the truck today. Now I need to get to work on choosing and EVSE and deciding where to mount it.
My wife saw another White RAV4 EV the other day so including mine and Vancouver there must be at lest 3 in WA state now.

Richard C. said:
Toyota USA told me to check with local dealerships, and if they're willing to service it (and have techs trained), it's cool. My local dealership has 3 techs with the training required for the Rav4 EV. As you know, dealerships make more $$ on servicing than new car sales, so you should be able to find a nearby dealership willing to commit to servicing your EV.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping would be the case! I checked with two local dealers, one said "they can service anything" even after I made clear that this is not the standard RAV4. The other dealer (Right Toyota) said they have two techs who are certified on the RAV4ev. I know Right Toyota has a couple Level 2 chargers in their lot, so they seem to be committed to plug in hybrids and possibly EVs if Toyota ever decides to start selling them in AZ. :D

@Sparky - I spoke to Dianne at Carson, and she stated there are 17 Rav EV's on their lot. 10 silver, 5 white and 2 blue. I told her that you referred me, and she'll be calling me back on Wed. January 2nd to complete my paperwork for the sale. I'm having the same company transport too. Thanks for all your help ... much appreciated. Things are finally moving along!

Then I can post my location on the owner map, as Seattle has just done. ;)

So I was at my dealer this afternoon to buy some parts for my Prius and started browsing the brochure rack to see if I could pick up a standard RAV4 brochure. Much to my surprise, I found they had a small green and white pamphlet on the RAV4ev. When I asked one of the sales guys, he said their dealership was scheduled to get 6 of them but they got "re-routed" to CA dealers without explanation. He said they did not have any pre orders for them, so it wasn't a big deal but it does seem likely that Toyota may begin selling these outside of CA in the not so distant future.

SparkyAZ said:
... but it does seem likely that Toyota may begin selling these outside of CA in the not so distant future.

No way are they going to sell a money losing car any place except where they are required to be sold. That place is California for three years, 2600 total production.

They have already paid Tesla $100 million, or $38,000 per car, for the sole purpose of Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) credits with California ARB. The car is based on the now discontinued 2012 body.

Toyota didn't sell the gen 1 Rav4 EV out of state, and it won't happen with this one. The gen 1 Rav4 EV was also based on a discontinued body. The gen 1 was built specifically and solely to comply with California ARB rules at the time.

See any patterns?

I will add that Toyota was talked into making a few extra gen 1 cars at the end of the run. Because the assembly had been shut down, and not all the parts were even available, the cars weren't exactly "Toyota" quality.

That won't happen again.

Why didn't Toyota just pay the "fine" for ZEV non-compliance? I'm sure the fine would not have exceed the millions of dollars paid to Tesla, and building/selling 2600 RAV4 EVs at almost no profit whatsoever. Selling even a couple hundred cars at a loss is pure madness. Are ZEV credits that valuable that ANY car company can afford to lose so much money just to keep selling all their other cars in California?

Having said that, I'm sure glad Toyota did it anyway. The RAV4 EV is truly a very fine car, EV or otherwise, and it deserves a chance to succeed in the marketplace. I hate when people refer to it as a "compliance" car, like that is some kind of excuse for the car's very existence. Maybe that's true, but the car itself - in the form of an compact SUV, is well engineered and definitely serves a purpose in the market that no other EV can match.

Dsinned said:
Why didn't Toyota just pay the "fine" for ZEV non-compliance?.... in the form of an compact SUV, is well engineered and definitely serves a purpose in the market that no other EV can match.

I don't think there is a fine. You either meet the ZEV threshold, after which you can sell your millions of oil burner cars in California, or you BUY the credits (I think Fuji Heavy Industry "Subaru" does that), or you don't sell cars here. Simple.

Imagine how much money Tesla will make selling ZEV credits? And Nissan, too.

Unfortunately, less than 40 people agreed with you last month on how awesome the Rav4 EV is.

Happy New Year!

I just got a note that said my RAV4 EV is on the truck. :)
It should be out of CA by tomorrow. Now I need to get that EVSE ordered. I'm calling Leviton tommorrow and checking on what the website calls the "Special Promotion".

Congrats, Seattle! How long to you expect transport to take? 2 or 3 days?

I start my paperwork tomorrow morning, then they'll overnight it to me for signatures. Purchase should be complete by Friday.

Ok, this is a note for future out of California (Oregon, Washington and British Columbia) Rav4 buyers.

We may hire a truck for the 2013 edition of this BC2BC; 1380 miles from Canada to Mexico, starting Saturday, June 29, 2013. It is possible that we may have room on the truck to transport some Rav4's north.

The truck will likely leave San Diego sometime in the second week of July, 2013 on the way north with all the cars that completed the event. Some will get dropped off in San Francisco, meaning that there will be room on the truck returning to Seattle.

Tony

I just got the call that my car is in Tacoma! :D
Now I have to figure out how to pick it up.
And the EVSE is going to be a little late!

SeattleRav4 said:
I just got the call that my car is in Tacoma! :D
Now I have to figure out how to pick it up.
And the EVSE is going to be a little late!

So cool! You're going to beat me to the Rav punch after all, darn it. He he. Are you picking it up in Tacoma instead of Seattle?

No the first one outside of CA, and possibly not even the first one in WA but my RAV4 EV has arrived home. My wife saw another RAV4 EV last week in Bellevue on the street but we have no data on it.
Very cool. I will work on some photos and some kind of trip report.

I contacted a couple of the Toyota Dealers in SLC to see if they had any trained mechanics. Karl Malone did not and did was not interested in the financial burden until Toyota starts selling the car officially in Utah, but LH Miller 'might' be willing to maintain the car... they are going to call me back.

Back