Help replacing a coolant pump

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Lido,

See your post and what's going on.. Seems you're kinda local to me. I'm up here in the valley / Burbank area. If you've replaced the pump and all is well but still have the "CHECK EV" after driving it for awhile and it hasn't cleared, you're more than welcome to bring it by. I have all the techstream/ TPD software (as you can see in my posts) and we can reset / read what going on with yours. Just FYI.. ;)

Since it's nearly impossible to hear that pump when it's running, you could run TPD (and if you have the special cable) and it shows some percentage of full speed that the three drivetrain pumps are running (see here)

If you don't have TPD, did you do a vacuum evacuation of the cooling system to remove entrapped air? If not (experience speaking here), you may have some difficulty in getting it stable.

Thanks. I'd like to use the software to remove trapped air if that would work. Will DM you about a cable and Jason for some assistance if I can make it to his shop.

The "Coolant Air Purge" procedure, which takes 32 minutes to run, runs the three pumps at various speeds, opens & closes the 3-way valve, and is supposed to burp the majority of air in the Tesla cooling loops . . . but it's not infallible. Still, on level ground it seems to usually work. I think I got into trouble by being on an incline when performing it, even though I performed it twice (once nose-up, once nose-down).

I am out of town today, but I'll ship your cable tomorrow (Friday).

Last edited:
Looks like the pump is working. The purge air procedure completed ok. Later ran the Clear THC DTCs function and the warning disappeared from the Currently Active Alerts list, but the car still showed "Check EV system" warning. Then this morning after a trip or two, the message disappeared.

Side note: I don't know if there's something needed to be done before running the Thermal System Test, but it ran for a few seconds and stopped with the message Temperature Sensors Failure.

Thanks for the help here! Now I need to see if I can find a shop that will help with the coolant delete mod or think about selling it to someone who can handle that.

IMG_3655.jpegIMG_3657.jpeg

Later ran the Clear THC DTCs function and the warning disappeared from the Currently Active Alerts list, but the car still showed "Check EV system" warning. Then this morning after a trip or two, the message disappeared.
The Toyota side "remembers" that the Tesla side requested a MIL, and if the Tesla side stops requesting MIL, the Toyota side will still light it for anywhere from 3-5 cycles of the car. I thought it was always 5, but twice I've seen the MIL clear off the IC in 3 cycles, so [shrug].

IDK what's up with the "temperature sensors failure" message.

Back