Hood Struts add-on

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered 2 sets of the Sokietech struts and just put one on my car, my wifes will go on in the next couple days -

Not noted in the instructions - install the one on the drivers side - 12mm socket on a ½" drive helpful as the hood bolt was very tight. Pull back the weather strip to expose the little 10mm fender bolt and undo that, slide bracket under weather strip and install new bolt/washer. Once tight, fit the weatherstrip back into place - I cut a little of it away to better expose the ball the strut attaches to. Snapping the strut on not too bad, but compressing the strut to get it on was an unexpected challenge. Definitely a good morning to take your vitamins.

When you do the other side, after you have both brackets bolted in, snap one end of the strut on, then remove the old hood support arm BEFORE attaching other end of strut. It just needs to be rotated and slid out of the retaining hole. But once the strut is in, its not possible -

So thats done - now I just need my JdeMos !!

Tadol said:
Snapping the strut on not too bad, but compressing the strut to get it on was an unexpected challenge. Definitely a good morning to take your vitamins.

Imho there is an error

I received 2 sets as well.
one set had the little brackets labeled opposite of the other set (left and right exchanged)

I started measuring and decided it would be unwanted to still have force on the strut when the hood is in the maximum open position.
So I mounted the lower mounts with the ball facing forward of the car:

This is my drivers side:

lower_mount.jpg

This way the strut is exactly long enough to mount without having to compress it.

So thats done - now I just need my JdeMos !!

I didn't have to compress anything. The most confusing part may be that they label each side as L and R, but with reference to what? I believe I mounted them the same as Fromport and it was very easy to install the shocks.

Yep - just checked, and thats how mine is - I think I may have not had the hood as far open as possible - I just gave it a little more "up" push, and it was willing to go a bit more open than it had with just the fixed strut - That'll make installing the wife struts a bit easier -

Back