Just bought a used RAV4 ev

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I am making my first "long distance" drive in the Rav4. Concord-Modesto, ~ 10 miles around modesto, then returning to Concord. Have the car on extended charge right now.
Plan is to leave about 1 hour early, take Marsh Creek to Tracy where I will plug-in for a hour or so get a cup of coffee and do some computer work. Continue to Modesto, eat lunch, go to meeting and head home on the 680. If necessary I will stop somewhere along the 680 and charge, I suspect with some careful driving I may be able to get home on the charge!. I suspect marsh creek will be better for KW discharge but want to have the 680 recharge options on the way home.
I don't think I will need air conditioning, and the heater doesn't work so I won't be using that. Slow lane on the freeway maybe I'll get lucky and find a truck going 55 I can follow.

Results
68.8 miles to at 3.6 miles per kw. About 19.1 kw used. Took marsh creek, skipper Tracy. 1 bar less than half is missing, suggesting my battery degradation is probably closer to 80 or 85%? Says 55 miles remaining (I suspect that is wrong as I've never reset the GOM.

Golfpilot said:
68.8 miles to at 3.6 miles per kw. About 19.1 kw used. Took marsh creek, skipper Tracy. 1 bar less than half is missing, suggesting my battery degradation is probably closer to 80 or 85%? Says 55 miles remaining (I suspect that is wrong as I've never reset the GOM.

Basing "real travel" on the GOM it's probably not wise, even if it was reset.

You can get a good estimate of your battery degradation using this process :

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1625

Use the appropriate range chart based on your degradation:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67

So the final results.
I drove 151 miles total.
At 85 miles I added 13.5kw to the battery at a dealership. The car had 8 bars left when I charged.
I drove 62 miles down marsh creek and towards the end it ticked down to one bar, the gom meter literally ticked 1 mile every mile I drove the entire day. It said 7 left I had 3 to do. But the 1 bar and the constant note from the car to plug in gave me too much anxiety. I pulled in my parents and added 30 minutes of charge on their 220 and pulled into my garage at 151 miles, two bars, and 16 on the GOM.
My meter thing which I reset at the beginning of the day said I averaged 3.5 miles per kw. Which seems about right going by Tony's chart.
151/3.5 is 43. Given 90% degradation and I started with and extended charge, I should have only needed 5 kWh to get home, I added 14 and with 2 bars at arrival left 3 kw in the tank. So there is a missing ~10 kw.
I didn't run heat inside. . But it was 42 out coming home, is that cold enough to run the engine heater?
Does the running of ac/car heater (didn't run) and engine heater count toward the miles per kw calculation?
Where could I have lost those kws?

Golfpilot said:
Where could I have lost those kws?

You gave me a headache trying to following along. What are you trying to accomplish? Is it to know the degradation of the battery?

You can't drive some, add some, drive some more, and hope to get rational data. How much did you add at your parents? The 13.5kWh (presumably read from some charge station?) isn't the actual energy into the battery, which is about 87% of that.

If the battery heater was operating, it would reflect in the miles per kWh. The one measurement that is pretty accurate is the total miles driven divided by the miles per kWh from reset (you reset the trip odometer and miles per kWh at the same time).

So, assuming you did that (reset both) and drove 151 miles at 3.5 miles per kWh average, then 43kWh was in fact burned.

You started about with some value that I don't know (that depends on how much degradation you have), but lets say that you do have a 90% battery capacity, then 0.9 * 41.8 = 37.62kWh is what you might have started with (plus or minus some value).

You added some value, let's say 13.5kWh * 0.87 = 11.7kWh

I don't know what you added at your parent's house (we don't even know what charge rate to guess).

About 49kWh available, maybe 5kWh left in the tank... 44kWh burned, without knowing what you added at your parent's.

I'm due to update this. couped up inside with the rain, good time.
I finally got my heater and DC-DC replaced. Cost was $6200. It took a special visit from a warranty guy to approve it but after a week it was replaced under the Platinum Warranty! The dealership gave me Prius to drive around for that week and I drove it like gas was worth the price of gold and got 66mpg over that week! fun car to drive, gave me a whole new view on why prius drivers drive like they do.
After getting the Rav4 back I made a 30 mile trip around concord area then to danville where I had to make an impromptu trip to Modesto for an overnight. I only had about 70% of my charge which was way more than enough to get there, but I immediately had range anxiety about getting back. That night, in modesto, I plugged into the apartment garage's 110 with my C-max's charger (I already had it plugged in there since I have a 240 at home in concord). After 10 minutes I got a notice on my phone the car stopped charging. Went out, swapped for the Rav4 charger. Got another error, tried one more time and that worked... not really sure what that was about... maybe the outlet. But i went from 27 on the GOM to 63 overnight, had some early morning work to do then headed back to concord
I had to go to danville within 2 hours of getting home so I had a lot of anxiety about getting home quickly to get two hours of charge so I could go to danville and back. So I stopped in tracy for 1 hour to get enough to get home comfortably got home and had a whole 17 miles left. Basically I cut it really close on this trip.
I started to venture at buying another car because I simply don't want to have to (don't have time) sit one hour in Tracy every time I need to go to Modesto same day to get 20 miles of charge...
so I took my c-max to Monterey for the weekend and spent sometime researching options and cars because 2 hour charges to get home is too much. I took a second look at the JdeMO option. I emailed Tony and he gave me a call. I wouldn't say he "sold" me, but he brought a whole new insight on the car to me and made me feel comfortable doing the JdeMO option. Having the heater repaired (6k) right away I didn't want to get something that would null my warranty if I had to do that repair again. Its my understanding now that certain dealerships may do the warranty work if I pay the extra to work around (remove replace) the JdeMO parts. Well worth it to me. Tony, you are really involved in all this EV stuff. Enough to change the way people view EVs for the better. Thank you for your efforts and your personal touch, its huge.
next update will probably be after I have my kit installed. Likely after I return from a two week trip.

you want the Jdemo option.

It totally transforms the way you use your Rav4EV.

Since i got mine, i've been up north of Sacramento and as far south as Buellton. I never went further than about 100 miles from Fremont before i had JDEMO. Its literally like its a different car (because i'll do things like use the heater on longer trips now etc.)

It most definitely is a completely different car with JdeMO and lots of public DC fast chargers, like there is in California, Oregon and Washington state.

With a 200 mile range, I'd say it was nearly a perfect utility car for me.

Back