Just purchased one, couple random questions

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie1600

I am sure they probably have been covered at some point, but kind of hard to search since they seem specific and weird. They are

#1 Does the VIN# match how many they have produced? So would the car that ends with 2600 be the last RAV4 EV?
#2 How are these cars built differently than the standard ones? Do they get pulled to the side and have mostly manual install or did they setup an assembly line for them? In Canada right?
#3 Since the Tesla model S/roadster doesn't use the same motor and battery, why do people keep saying this has a Tesla drivetrain? I understand they designed it, but it doesn't seem to be the same thing that goes on their car.
#4 The test drive I drove had an annoying rattle in the driver side door cup holder. Is that comment?
#5 Can roof rack from regular RAV4 fit on it? Cargo cover?
#6 I just noticed there was a security deposit in my lease contract ($400). I assume that is refundable at lease end, of course this will probably be eaten up by disposition fee.
#7 For those who got their car straight off the truck, how many miles did you have?

On a side note, freaking Toyota made $20 in interest over the life of the lease where Nissan tool $2500. Toyota is really trying to blow these things out!!!

Thanks guys

Regarding #4, it is confirmed that Tesla produces the drivetrain for the RAV4 EV. Apparently its the same as the motor in the Model S, just "detuned" for less horsepower and torque. You can see part of this by opening the rear door and looking behind the left side interior panel.

cossie1600 said:
#1 Does the VIN# match how many they have produced? So would the car that ends with 2600 be the last RAV4 EV?

It seems the numbers start at 1000 so the max would be 3600

cossie1600 said:

It has been reported here in a post that the RAV4EV has the roof fitments and the standard RAV4 roof rack is just a screw in process

cossie1600 said:
#7 For those who got their car straight off the truck, how many miles did you have?

mine had 10 miles on the ODO

cossie1600 said:
#4 The test drive I drove had an annoying rattle in the driver side door cup holder. Is that comment?

cup holder IN the drivers door?? Do you mean the left cup holder in the center console down below the climate controls??

#2 How are these cars built differently than the standard ones? Do they get pulled to the side and have mostly manual install or did they setup an assembly line for them? In Canada right?

I was told by the dealership that the Tesla drivetrain for this car was manufactured at the Tesla plant in Fremont, CA and then shipped to Ontario, Canada for assembly on the RAV4 line. While there is always some manual installation work for this type of thing, given that so much of the car's build is the same as the ICE RAV4, I would be shocked if they were substantially manufactured off the line.

#3 Since the Tesla model S/roadster doesn't use the same motor and battery, why do people keep saying this has a Tesla drivetrain? I understand they designed it, but it doesn't seem to be the same thing that goes on their car.

The drivetrain wasn't just designed by Tesla, it was manufactured by Tesla, and the motor and battery pack appear to be close cousins to the ones in the Model S. While Toyota has done a good job of hiding any Tesla branding - likely due to contractual terms - if you look at the battery pack, motor or ICU you'll find they have the Tesla logo. As commasign mentioned, if you open up the left interior panel in the rear cargo area, it's easy to take a peek at the Tesla-branded gateway ICU.

While we haven't installed the roof rack or the cargo cover, the fitments from the standard RAV4 are certainly present on the roof and in the cargo area.

#5 rear trunk roll cover. I purchased this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18116558109...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Real economical and matches the car. Only thing is Rav4EV was not designed for any cover to attach to seat so the two flaps hang down, but when reclined normally you can not see into trunk, so it does its job. The cover clips into place snugly. Make sure you get the 2012.

----------------
I guess the clips go to the head rest learned something new from post below

The really good hing about the like is the cover only costs $70 not $250 or $300 as I was quoted from deliver at "cost".

David Grigg said:
#5 rear trunk roll cover. I purchased this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18116558109...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Real economical and matches the car. Only thing is Rav4EV was not designed for any cover to attach to seat so the two flaps hang down, but when reclined normally you can not see into trunk, so it does its job. The cover clips into place snugly. Make sure you get the 2012.

I'm not quite sure what David is referring to here, but I got my cover directly from the dealer when I got the car. It fits perfectly (since the car is like 90% the same as the ICE version, and maybe even more so on the inside). Mine has clips on the cover and I also have headrests so the clips fit perfectly onto the headrest posts of the back seats and do not hang down as David's do.

cossie1600 said:

It does seem to be the Model S motor with the current draw lowered for the smaller battery pack (same as Tesla does for the 60 vs 80 kwh and had planned for the 40). I was at the Toyota parts dept. and you can see the Tesla branding on the side of the motor in the parts diagrams on the dealer computers.

Mike

mikegerard said:
It does seem to be the Model S motor with the current draw lowered for the smaller battery pack (same as Tesla does for the 60 vs 80 kwh and had planned for the 40). I was at the Toyota parts dept. and you can see the Tesla branding on the side of the motor in the parts diagrams on the dealer computers.

You can see for yourself here in these "cut away" photos:
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=93

Also, Tesla did not limit the current because of the smaller battery pack. It is pretty well known that Tesla limited the current to the motor only after Toyota told them to do so (and doubtlessly paid them for it). The first prototypes delivered by Tesla had astounding acceleration - well beyond that of the V6 RAV4. Toyota would have none of that - they were afraid that this would make the EV too popular. This was told to me by a Tesla engineer on the RAV4 program and has also been reported by others.

What a pity! Even at that the RAV4 EV still has phenomenal acceleration for a 4000 pound, "electrified" SUV. It was the very first thing that convinced me to buy it! :mrgreen:

Dsinned said:
What a pity! Even at that the RAV4 EV still has phenomenal acceleration for a 4000 pound, "electrified" SUV. It was the very first thing that convinced me to buy it! :mrgreen:
Says the guy with a Corvette Z06....

Back