Leasing a new Rav EV, Should I refuse to sign this form?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pchilds said:
Just never admit to using a non-Leviton EVSE. Toyota makes ridicules requirements, you should respond in kind. I personally have never used, a non-Leviton EVSE on my RAV4 EV.
They don't specify the percentage of the EVSE that is made by Leviton must be 100%. My OpenEVSE was made with many Leviton parts. :lol:

Blastphemy,

I think you are reading too much into it. If Toyota had a problem with anything but Leviton Toyota would have to restrict all public charging also.
Toyota knows if Leviton EVSE is installed by a Leviton approved electrician all will be fine as part of their exclusive agreement.
Otherwise Toyota cannot anticipate what the vehicle owner might do with home built EVSEs or self installed wiring.
Also Toyota wants no pushback if your install turns out to cost thousands more than expected, not approved by HOA or landlord etc.
That is all. And there have been plenty of these home-brew issues posted. I see no real effect on warranty with proper equipment.

I'm not an attorney (nor do I play one on TV), but I read that disclaimer as Toyota covering themselves against the idiot buyer who doesn't understand electric vehicle charging requirements, or who can't get a 240V EVSE installed after buying the car. Of course it is written by a good lawyer so that it could cover any number of circumstances.

I think Toyota understands practicalities of real world EVSE charging and that different models will be used. If they insist on Leviton then they should have supplied one with the car itself!

Just to repeat previous info, here is the list of EVSE's that Toyota says should function properly:

From the press release at bottom of:
http://green.autoblog.com/2012/11/0...av4-ev-might-display-warning-at-some-level-2/

... the following Level 2 charging stations* have completed a basic level of confirmation with the Toyota RAV4 EV and should function properly: Manufacturer Models
  • AeroVironment Level 2 EVSE-RS
    Blink / ECOtality Level 2 Charge Station [EDIT: Removed from list]
    Charge Point / Coulomb Technologies CT2000 Series
    Clipper Creek CS Series
    Eaton Pow-R-Station (Commercial), EV Charging Station (Residential)
    Schneider Electric EVlink Indoor Charging Station (EV2430WS)

The "Leviton only" provision is a direct result of Blink melting and damaging the charging port.

They also removed Blink as an "approved" charge station, as it had been previously.

Yes, they can limit your public charging, because you agreed to it with this clause. How many Leviton charge stations are "in the wild"?

Zero.

I got the full kangaroo court on this issue during my Lemon Law arbitration. If you fight them, and they fell like fighting back, it will be an uphill battle when you agree to these clauses. I had not, since these had not yet transpired.

The quote below is no longer accurate:

kiwiguy said:
Just to repeat previous info, here is the list of EVSE's that Toyota says should function properly:

From the press release at bottom of:
http://green.autoblog.com/2012/11/0...av4-ev-might-display-warning-at-some-level-2/

... the following Level 2 charging stations* have completed a basic level of confirmation with the Toyota RAV4 EV and should function properly: Manufacturer Models
  • AeroVironment Level 2 EVSE-RS
    Blink / ECOtality Level 2 Charge Station
    Charge Point / Coulomb Technologies CT2000 Series
    Clipper Creek CS Series
    Eaton Pow-R-Station (Commercial), EV Charging Station (Residential)
    Schneider Electric EVlink Indoor Charging Station (EV2430WS)

TonyWilliams said:
The quote below is no longer accurate:
That's the main problem I see with their "approved EVSEs" is that they haven't actually given us a list of them. All we have is that old (and obviously obsolete) press release hosted by a third party. There was no document sent to owners, or sticker for the manual, or even TSB available on Toyota's website. I've searched extensively but been unable to find any Toyota-supplied documentation on these EVSEs.

It's hard to comply with a rule that they won't actually tell people about. If someone really had to push it in court, they'd probably win based on Toyota creating unreasonable restrictions and failure to communicate them effectively. But that won't happen because arbitration.

Looks like in the future the vehicle owner would need to go after BLINK.
I still do not see that the entire warranty is void. Just that if the EVSE (other than Leviton) causes damage it is not Toyota's problem.

I mostly use a 16a Leviton at work :) Schneider at home has been fine so far....

smkettner said:
Looks like in the future the vehicle owner would need to go after BLINK.
I still do not see that the entire warranty is void. Just that if the EVSE (other than Leviton) causes damage it is not Toyota's problem.

I mostly use a 16a Leviton at work :) Schneider at home has been fine so far....
Schneider has had some problems too. A "Product Safety Alert" (recall) was issued too. See this thread.

My Schneider was an early model with no recall. Subsequent change of suppliers caused the issue.

The shippers are picking my car up tomorrow morning. It looks like I got away without signing the form. They never asked for it! Thank god!!!

Back