Lemon Law, Arbitration, Song-Beverly, Magnuson-Moss Warranty

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been in a 2013 Prius since Sept 21 when my Rav4 went into reduced power mode and wouldn't start again after I pulled to the side of the road. The prius, I find to be noisy and under powered for my liking but it's not bad; I can see why it's so well liked; it can easily keep up on the California highways. I own a Volt too and over the last year and a half of ownership, I get an average of 92 mpg so not the 250+ mentioned above. It's a lot more fun to drive than a prius.

Blastphemy said:
cwerdna said:
On the contrary... the Prius has improved significantly over the generations.
The Prius has improved marginally, but the drivers are stereotypically some of the worst on the road. When my friends and I see a Prius on the road, we stay far away! The Prius fills its niche perfectly (hence the robust sales), but it's still the same sluggish, pretentious, overhyped hybrid it was eight years ago.
:roll: What a ridiculous and untrue stereotype! It does remind me of http://www.mercurynews.com/mrroadshow/ci_11917435 though (which Mr. Roadshow fortunately put back up, he also drives a Prius). As for sluggish, yes. Pretentious and overhyped, no. I fail to see how either is true.

It's still the most efficient non-plugin mass market car and does great at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/02/the-most-fuel-efficient-cars/index.htm?loginMethod=auto and http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/best-worst-fuel-economy/index.htm.

Why 8 years ago? It first showed up in the US in August 2000 (NHW11) and in Japan (JDM-only NHW10) in December 97. Some of the NHW10 have ended up in other countries where they drive on the same side of the road as Japan.

As for marginally, let's see, it's gone from 41 mpg combined to 50 (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=26425&id=19813&id=16705) while growing from a not-so-versatile compact sedan to a larger, heavier midsized hatchback while acceleration has improved and net system power has gone 98 hp to 134 hp. It also gained AT-PZEV certification. Where are the other 50+ mpg (or even 46+ mpg) combined hybrids or non-hybrid ICEVs from others at a similar price? How are they doing in sales? How do their reliability records compare?

Tons of features exist on current gen Prius that were only a dream in car in its price range and class back then (e.g. smart key system, lane keep assist, lane departure warning, dynamic radar cruise control, HUD, 3 driving modes, EV button, solar roof, remote AC, nav w/traffic, A2DP music streaming, backup camera, Bluetooth support, etc.) and various features to improve efficiency and warmup time (e.g. coolant thermos (ditched after Gen 2), exhaust gas heat recovery system, etc.)

It's very annoying to drive non-hybrid ICEVs now. It's ridiculous that the ICE uselessly runs when stopped, needs to run at low speeds and that all kinetic energy when braking is lost as useless heat and brake dust.

Sounds like you're one of the Prius haters, w/a lot of misinformation. We on Priuschat hear of plenty of those. :roll:
ehelmholtz said:
I've been in a 2013 Prius since Sept 21 when my Rav4 went into reduced power mode and wouldn't start again after I pulled to the side of the road. The prius, I find to be noisy and under powered for my liking but it's not bad; I can see why it's so well liked; it can easily keep up on the California highways. I own a Volt too and over the last year and a half of ownership, I get an average of 92 mpg so not the 250+ mentioned above. It's a lot more fun to drive than a prius.
Even though I'm a Prius fan, I do admit that compared to my Leaf, the Prius feels like a noisy rattletrap. In the past 2 days, I've put ~200 miles on it. It tends to sit not driven for fairly long stretches now that I'm leasing a Leaf.

And yeah, compared to the Rav4 EV, the Prius is definitely slow.

Anyway, as I said to the other before, if Toyota's the "enemy", don't support/reward them buy buying and leasing their products. Spread the word to others as to why they're the "enemy".

I have a 2010 Prius, 2013 Leaf and 2013 RAV4. I found the Leaf to be the noisiest and most uncomfortable car out of them all. The car is also limited by its range. At 80% charge, I get 50 miles under my normal type of driving. The RAV4 can get me about 90-95 miles under the same condition. (My climate control is always on auto with AC on). The Prius gets 43-44mpg driven the same way. Even if the Leaf can do 500 miles, I would never take it to any roadtrip as the seat is too narrow and have absolutely no thigh support. It currently gives me cramps if I have to drive it more than an hour. I do have to say the Leaf is less plastic than the Prius, but it is still nothing to brag about. Noise they are all noisy, I would say there is the most noise in the Leaf, but the Leaf has mostly wind and tire noise while the Prius has a mix of both. RAV4 is noisy too, just not quite as bad.

As far as problems
2800 miles on my Leaf=no problem except the rear bumper never lined up from the factory and the range really really sucks. You beat on the car, the range drops dramatically while the RAV4 stays pretty much the same
2100 miles on my RAV4=no problem except for some design flaws rather than defects
87K miles on the Prius=Replaced 4 rear hatch strut, door lock mechanism wore out and the oil change plastic plate broke off

Fun to drive? None of them really are, but the RAV4 does have enough power to keep me entertained at every straightaway.

cwerdna said:
Blastphemy said:
The Prius has improved marginally, but the drivers are stereotypically some of the worst on the road. When my friends and I see a Prius on the road, we stay far away!
What a ridiculous and untrue stereotype! It does remind me of http://www.mercurynews.com/mrroadshow/ci_11917435 though (which Mr. Roadshow fortunately put back up, he also drives a Prius). As for sluggish, yes. Pretentious and overhyped, no. I fail to see how either is true.
I wrote that most of the Prius drivers I see are stereotypically some of the worst drivers, not that they're the slowest drivers; but in many cases it is indeed bad driving in slow motion! ;)

While the Prius is overall more sluggish compared to the Leaf, Rav4 EV, and Volt, it's still has an electric motor that allows for bursts of speed. Problem is that most Prius drivers I encounter have no idea how to manage that speed. Either it's some slowpoke driving in the carpool lane or a leadfoot driving in the slow lane. So, as you can imagine, I really enjoyed that link you provided from Mr. Roadshow!!

But as I noted, it's just a stereotype, and I'm sure there are many Prius drivers who aren't horrible. (Probably the same percentage as good Asian and elderly drivers!)

Regardless, I see I've hijacked this arbitration thread by drifting into Prius-bashing, and I apologize. My future posts in this thread will be on topic...promise.

Are you really stereotyping Prius drivers when you are driving a RAV4/Volt/Leaf? Sorry to get in your way Michael Schumacher

In an attempt to bring this thread back on topic:

I was at Tony's hearing as an observer and I didn't really have a dog in the race as it were, but just showed up as an EV enthusiast. I knew Tony from the old Leaf group meetings and had seen the posts about the melted Blink pin incident, but I don't read his blog or what he was even seeking Lemon Law protect for...

...but at about the middle of the arbitration I was pretty pissed off at the Toyota rep. He started bringing up things that he must have known were untrue (like Tony might have switched the ECU between Rav4s, which he stated would have rendered both unusable, yet the car was there and working so it couldn't have happened, so why bring it up unless to smear Tony). And then he brought up the Toyota article that listed compatible EVSEs and said that Blink wasn't on it. Not only that, but when he read it he changed the words to suit his argument. He changed "should charge without issue" to "might charge." I could tell he was doing it in his head, because I had brought it up on my laptop and was reading along. Every time he would change some word or phrase he would pause a little so it was quite obvious to me. He also made a carefully worded statement about the last update fixing the issues Tony was having, but the way he said it made me doubt he actually knew what the update supposedly fixed. I asked Tony to ask the rep what changes were made in the update, but I don't think it was addressed.

As to the not working with any other EVSEs besides the Leviton, I think it was simply a communication problem. I don't think the rep was saying that the car wasn't designed to only work with Leviton chargers, just that the warranty only covers what Toyota sold you. So if you bought the 40A Leviton charger from them, they would be "responsible" for its charging issues only, not the Blink melted pin issue. But that was just my take on it.

This is like repeat of Toyota blaming their customers for their 3.0L v6 design flaw... all over again.

TonyWilliams said:
I lost my arbitration, so it's on to court!!!

Remember that these "free" arbitrators are paid for by Toyota. Our guy just said that my car was magically all fixed. That's it.

It's beyond bizarro.

Best of luck Tony--court is rough but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hopefully there's still some justice in the legal system.

That's a shame! Good luck.
Let me know if you need a Lemon Lawyer recommendation.

Good luck Tony. Someone who dealt with the Prius windshield problem posted that arbitration was a waste of time, and that folks should just skip to the Lemon Law part. You are noble to have given it a shot, but I can see what they are talking about now.

Sounds like you have yet to hire a lawyer. Had you previously sent a Lemon Law letter to Toyota yourself?

cooljw said:
Good luck Tony. Someone who dealt with the Prius windshield problem posted that arbitration was a waste of time, and that folks should just skip to the Lemon Law part. You are noble to have given it a shot, but I can see what they are talking about now.
I'm guessing you're referring to http://priuschat.com/threads/2011-prius-windshield-triples-light-source-images.100008/.

I have no Gen 3 Prius and never heard of such complaints from Gen 3 owners I know (including a 2011 Prius owner). But then again, I never asked them about it. Since I have no Gen 3, I don't care enough about the issue to carefully read a 20 page thread (and probably some others).

cwerdna said:
I'm guessing you're referring to http://priuschat.com/threads/2011-prius-windshield-triples-light-source-images.100008/.
Yep. I myself have a 2012 PiP which Toyota will finally complete the repurchase of next week due to the windshield problem. I did not have to hire a lawyer or go through arbitration.

This morning I meet an agent for Toyota at my local dealer to transfer my RAV4EV to Toyota. The is a result of request for arbitration that I filed in September. I received an offer from Toyota a few days before the hearing was to take place on October 22nd. It is a fair settlement. I will provide more details when the transaction is concluded.

Back