Multiple onboard chargers

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fooljoe said:
valerun said:
Thanks for considering us. We are using one of our units on RAV4EV now. You can see some videos in our YouTube Channel. Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks, Valery
I've seen your videos - the one where you charge the Rav at ~22kw is great! That's basically where I got the idea. It looks like you tapped into the DC lines at the inverter, and added an HV DC connector to attach the output of your charger. This seems like a good way to go - then you can carry the charger in the back and plug it in when needed. Plus if the connector is appropriately-sized perhaps it could double for connection of a CHAdeMO inlet when that's ready or a range-extending trailer if that ever becomes a reality.

So my questions to you would be: How close to marketability is this? What exactly would we need to use your charger with the Rav? I assume charger (PFC, water cooled?), J1772 inlet, and cable/connectors - anything else? Can we charge using it and the built-in charger at the same time - for example from two (or more) public J1772 stations or 2+ 50amp RV outlets? As I recall from your video the car was on when charging, while the on-board charger requires the car to be off - can we work around that? How difficult would installation of the HV DC connectors be? Would you be able to provide an installation service in both NorCal and SoCal? And of course - how much?!

Inverter is not the best place to tap. For customer installs we would tap in the main battery junction.

I would recommend air-cooled - this way you wouldn't have any dependencies and messy connections to the car's cooling system.

The concurrent operation is a subject of ongoing research. Basically there is a limit to how much excess current you can push into the battery (in addition to what stock charger is pushing) before the BMS cuts out the pack.

Once available, we would install in NorCal. Pls email to valery at emotorwerks.com for more info.

V

I just finished reading this whole thread. I definitely would do this mod. I worry thought that it wont be an option unless I ship my car to Cali to have the work done. Hopefully there will be more people interested in this in the north east so you could maybe fly out and do a bunch at the same time.

I know Tony is planning a second charger mod for the RAV4 after the JdeMO is done. My plan is to get a 20-25 kW CHAdeMO portable charger for my home. Electric Motor Werks has one for about $4-6k, I am hoping there will be more choices by the time the JdeMO is out.

You definitely can do it, but I don't know of anybody that's done it yet. There are some guys who've added 2nd (even third I think) Brusa chargers to the Leaf, and you could do that, or add a 2nd Tesla charger, or a charger from EMW. Lots of options, but working out the details is the tricky part.

Is this still something you are considering Tony? I dont have an fast charging stations but a second j1772 would definitely come in useful!

This might be more useful than the JdeMO for me because many of the CHAdeMOs I see on plugshare are at the Nissan dealer. Do those Nissan dealers even let other EVs charge?

A growing number of those Nissan dealers are switching their QCs over to eVgo, a for-pay service (for lots of pay), so they should have no complaints about any non-Nissan EVs charging there. That said, don't expect much friendliness from dealership staff, and don't be surprised if you find dealership Leafs or, worse, ICE cars blocking access to the charger.

My money is on the Jdemo. Twin chargers would be nice but still weak compared with a 50kWh Jdemo.

Having to buy another portable 10kWh evse and another 10kWh onboard charger would only be viable if I was going on camping trips dragging a camping trailer around or if I didn't already put a deposit on a Jademo.

Good luck to the hose attempting it. Would be nice if Tesla performed this upgrade like they do for the S.

evdrive said:
My money is on the Jademo. Twin chargers would be nice but still weak compared with a 50kWh Jademo.

Having to buy another portable 10kWh evse and another 10kWh onboard charger would only be viable if I was going on camping trips dragging a camping trailer around or if I didn't already put a deposit on a Jademo.

Good luck to the hose attempting it. Would be nice if Tesla performed this upgrade like they do for the S.

Yes but DC fast charging stations are extremely limited. In NY we there are only 10 and they are ALL in NYC. There are zero outside of an hours drive of the city. So in my case, and Im sure many other peoples, a dual charger set up would be preferred in this or any car.

It would save me many hours on road trips! On my trip to Albany I had to wait in my car for 9.5 hours at a charge point in Suny Cobleskill. I wouldve loved to have cut that time in half!

Depending on the power source, with two separate J1772 inlets:

Commercial J1772: 30a * 208v = 6.2kW (12.4kW for two * 85% onboard charger efficiency = 10.5kW DC)

32 miles per hour added @ 3miles/kWh

RV park / home: 40a * 240v = 9.6kW (19.2kW for two * 85% = 16.3kW DC)

49 miles per hour added

CHAdeMO is up to 125a DC, so using 115a as "typical", and battery voltage from 300 to 380, therefore the charge rate varies:

43.7kW = 380v DC * 115a
34.5kW = 300v DC * 115a

So, up to about 75% SOC, the charge speed is a composite 39kW, or

117 miles per hour added

From 75% to 100% SOC, the charge is a constantly declining linear rate from 43.7kW to zero, so let's use 22kW as the average:

66 miles per hour added

Is it possible to use the parts from another RAV to add another battery and charger to an existing RAV? How about a motor ("RAV4EV-D")?

Back