My First Service

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman

Had my Rav4 in for it's first service. Complained about the timer and had em listen to the whine from 50 to 65 mph. They test drove another Rav4 EV and said the whine was about the same. They called Toyota also and were told the sound is in the design, so I'll just see if it gets any louder over time. They indicated that they had 2 firmware updates, one for the car and one for the charge timer, but they found out they didn't have the correct plug to do the firmware update, so I'll have to bring it back in a week or so when the get the correct plug. Why Toyota would put a different plug on the Rav 4 EV then the Prius is beyond me, but it's different. Well since Toyota is paying for the first two years of service, I won't complain. At least they rotated the tires and topped off the fluids. That was pretty much the service. :)

I got an appt to take mine in this Saturday for a 5K service check. I never rec'd a call that there was any kind of "update" to address the timer issue(s), although I discussed this in detail with one of the service writers shortly after I bought the car last November. It's a big Toyota dealership here in the South SF Bay Area, but I suspect they are still clueless about such things, and (sadly) I know way more about it than they do. Anyway, the real reason I'm taking my RAV4 EV in for service is to "cash in" a coupon for a free car wash at the dealership and maybe get a "free" charge. :mrgreen:

Different plug? Seriously? That's yet one more thing to worry about for us out-of-state'ers :( I was hoping that my local dealer, which is one of the bigger Toyota dealers in the state, and services Prius Plug-ins, could handle the RAV4 EV, but this news is rather disappointing.

As for the free carwash, I really wouldn't bother, unless you have health reasons, chances are you will end up with more swirl marks, waterspots, and maybe even scratches.

It sounds like they probably have an update to be applied to the Toyota components - which may be thru the OBD port under the dash. And... a second firmware update to be applied to the Tesla components - I believe the port for that is under the passenger seat.

spkobay said:
It sounds like they probably have an update to be applied to the Toyota components - which may be thru the OBD port under the dash. And... a second firmware update to be applied to the Tesla components - I believe the port for that is under the passenger seat.

There's a Tesla port in the left rear corner of the car (it's with the Tesla communication box). Just open the little plastic dark colored door (where they probably would have put an jack and lug wrench that we don't have).

Click here for Tesla data port and communications module details

So chances are that out-of-state buyers won't get these updates, unless Toyota is willing to send these tools across the country.

amped up said:
So chances are that out-of-state buyers won't get these updates, unless Toyota is willing to send these tools across the country.

It hasn't been done yet, and I suspect that Tesla service centers will have the connector (it doesn't look any different than a normal OBD2). Or a dealer could buy / borrow one.

I'm almost afraid to take mine in for any updates... why fix if it isn't broken ;) My car is functioning perfectly except for having to fool the charger to get it to finish when I want it to... I'll wait to see how other updates go before I take mine in! Only have 1500 mi so I have a bit more to go before the 5K service.

AvLegends said:
I'm almost afraid to take mine in for any updates... why fix if it isn't broken ;) My car is functioning perfectly except for having to fool the charger to get it to finish when I want it to... I'll wait to see how other updates go before I take mine in! Only have 1500 mi so I have a bit more to go before the 5K service.

Fool the charger? How so?

Vach said:
AvLegends said:

When I set the departure time (finish charge) with the charge timer to 7 am it finishes around 5-5:30. It seems to be pretty consistent in finishing early. Others have reported this as well. I just move up the departure time 1-1.5 hours and it gets me pretty close to finishing the charge cycle when I want it to. That's all... nothing more. YMMV :)

Oooh... I was going to say, that seemed like a major issue. I won't be using the timer so it isn't much of an issue with me but it is good to know there is a workaround regardless.

Although seeing as how I am going to buy one at the end of this year it probably will have the upgraded software.

Finished this morning at 5:22 with a 7:00 departure time. Consistent! ;)

Waiting for Dennis to report back with his charger update results!

AvLegends said:
Vach said:
AvLegends said:
When I set the departure time (finish charge) with the charge timer to 7 am it finishes around 5-5:30. It seems to be pretty consistent in finishing early. Others have reported this as well. I just move up the departure time 1-1.5 hours and it gets me pretty close to finishing the charge cycle when I want it to. That's all... nothing more. YMMV :)

AvLegends said:
Vach said:
AvLegends, et al, please check out the thread I just posted with subject "First service including charging system update".

Your workaround is okay, and for all intent and purpose is all you can do, but I don't think it completely avoids the problem. Your forgetting about the cell balancing which seems to always follow a regular charge by several additional hours. Unfortunately, it is not obvious when cell balancing occurs and almost has no relationship to a scheduled charge with respect to the actual sequence of events and overall time allotted for charging to fully complete.

Dsinned said:
AvLegends said:
Vach said:
AvLegends, et al, please check out the thread I just posted with subject "First service including charging system update".

Your workaround is okay, and for all intent and purpose is all you can do, but I don't think it completely avoids the problem. Your forgetting about the cell balancing which seems to always follow a regular charge by several additional hours. Unfortunately, it is not obvious when cell balancing occurs and almost has no relationship to a scheduled charge with respect to the actual sequence of events and overall time allotted for charging to fully complete.
Yup Dennis... just went down and unplugged the cord at 8:15. Came up and checked email before leaving and had an Entune notification that charging had been interrupted. Went down and plugged it back in and started charging again. I no doubt interrupted the cell balancing cycle that occurs hours later after charge cycle finished. I wonder if I screwed up the balancing process or if plugging it back in restored what I interrupted?

Back