Pre-Climate Will Turn On Even If the Car is Not Plugged In

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman

Drove the Rav4 to church yesterday and charged it to full when we got back. The wife was going to use the vehicle today to deliver some flowers from her flower shop, so I decided to disconnect the J1772 plug, so she wouldn't have to. When I went out to get in our LEAF early this morning, the Rav4 was running the heater and reduced the range by about 20 miles. So lesson learned: "Don't forget to stop the pre-climate for the next day if you decide to unplug the vehicle as it will run as if it was drawing power from the wall, but will be pulling power from the traction battery." :oops:

Hmmm . . . this sounds like yet another problem also related to malfunctioning "scheduled" charges. My understanding is that pre-climatizing a RAV4 EV's passenger compartment should only function "automatically" when still plugged in and actually "scheduled" to do so. However, when not plugged in, as in "charge interrupted" , it should NOT perform this function, UNLESS, manually overridden from the Entunes remote app.

Are you sure, what you observed was not the TMS doing its thing to keep your battery from freezing?

Hmmm . . . this sounds like yet another problem also related to malfunctioning "scheduled" charges. My understanding is that pre-climatizing a RAV4 EV's passenger compartment should only function "automatically" when still plugged in and actually "scheduled" to do so. However, when not plugged in, as in "charge interrupted" , it should NOT perform this function, UNLESS, manually overridden from the Entunes remote app.

Are you sure, what you observed was not the TMS doing its thing to keep your battery from freezing?

No, the car was in the garage and when I opened the door, the dash indicated pre-climate stopped.

is pre-climate just for creature comfort,ie. for our comfort, or is it necessary for the car's battery.
i thought i read in the manual to optimize life of battery, pre-climate is important to "warm up" the battery.
just curious...

One other thing I noted from pre-climate control is that if you are not plugged in and your battery is 1/2 capacity, it will NOT initiate. I've once tried to impress a co-worker by trying to cool the car before heading out to lunch, but it did not turn on. :oops:

I think the dash actually noted that (or did it just noted that the pre-climate did not turn on..I don't remember. Have to try this again to verify).

gary2020 said:
is pre-climate just for creature comfort,ie. for our comfort, or is it necessary for the car's battery.

The logic goes like this: If one is going to wait to heat/cool their car until after they disconnect from their EVSE, they'll be using battery charge to do so. If you program your car to "pre-heat/cool" while still attached to the EVSE, this is not the case. In some climates, this can be significant in terms of range impact.

edmc said:
gary2020 said:

The logic goes like this: If one is going to wait to heat/cool their car until after they disconnect from their EVSE, they'll be using battery charge to do so. If you program your car to "pre-heat/cool" while still attached to the EVSE, this is not the case. In some climates, this can be significant in terms of range impact.

The pre climate phase is important to warm the battery to have the "rated range". Obviously, the batteries will warm up when you start driving, but like the cabin, we want to use "shoreline" power while the car is plugged in to do this as much as possible.

Back