Public Chargers - Auto-retracting - Caution

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spkobay

Fortunately, no damage done; however, I did want to offer a piece of caution. Today I needed to utilize one of the new EVSEs installed at one of LA's metro stations (Sierra Madre). See the link for an image of the stations. http://www.evconnect.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Sierra-Madre-charge-stations.png. It's actually a pretty elegant design. Touch your RFID card and the cable drops from the upper structure, from where it is stored and protected. The caution comes in once charging has completed. I've noticed on both the Volt and the Leaf that once charging stops on other stations that I've used, the pilot signal indicates that it's still connected. The RAV appears to not behave in this manner - my home EVSE also indicates it as disconnected once charging completes.

So here's the rub with the auto-retracting station. Once the RAV indicated it was finished charging, the station thought that it had been unplugged. When I returned to my fully charged RAV, the cable had retracted (while still attached) and had significant strain on both the cable and the charge port on the RAV; the station indicated "trouble". It took quite a bit of pressure and tugging against the retracter to get the cable to disconnect from the RAV and, because of the identified trouble to the station, the cable never did retract. I called and left a voicemail for the station operator.

Again, fortunately no damage, but that doesn't mean someone won't be so lucky in the future.

spkobay said:
... once charging stops on other stations that I've used, the pilot signal indicates that it's still connected. The RAV appears to not behave in this manner - my home EVSE also indicates it as disconnected once charging completes.

This is a semi-serious problem, and it's not likely on the RAV4. The proximity signal is what tells the car that it is connected, and that is located in the handle of the J1772 nozzle.

There are two resistors in there; a 150 and a 330 ohm. When you press the button, you add the two resistors together in series to get 480 ohms. That tells the car that you have unplugged.

TonyWilliams said:
This is a semi-serious problem, and it's not likely on the RAV4. The proximity signal is what tells the car that it is connected, and that is located in the handle of the J1772 nozzle.

There are two resistors in there; a 150 and a 330 ohm. When you press the button, you add the two resistors together in series to get 480 ohms. That tells the car that you have unplugged.
But that doesn't tell the EVSE if a car is connected - that's the car's job. According to this table, the car conveys that it's connected by applying 2.74k resistance from the pilot to ground.

Given how the Rav4 (and other Tesla-made EVs) are known to have some "abnormal" interactions with some EVSEs, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Rav were to blame here. In any case, if I ever encounter one of these auto-retracting stations I'll heed the warning and wrap the cable around something or back a tire over it before plugging in.

And spkobay, I would definitely report this incident to Toyota. I wouldn't expect much as far as them doing anything about it - but at least it's good to get it on record. Thanks for sharing the info.

fooljoe said:
And spkobay, I would definitely report this incident to Toyota. I wouldn't expect much as far as them doing anything about it - but at least it's good to get it on record. Thanks for sharing the info.
Agreed. Make sure you contact Toyota at http://www.toyota.com/support/contact.html and that they log it. At least it should be easy for them to repro it since Toyota Motor Sales HQ is in Torrance...

fooljoe said:
TonyWilliams said:

But that doesn't tell the EVSE if a car is connected - that's the car's job. According to this table, the car conveys that it's connected by applying 2.74k resistance from the pilot to ground.

Given how the Rav4 (and other Tesla-made EVs) are known to have some "abnormal" interactions with some EVSEs, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Rav were to blame here.

Good points, however the EVSE would have to send the signal for the car to know that it's disconnected. Of course, you may be absolutely right that its Tesla.

Back