Question about electrical adapter for JESLA

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmanny3

I recently purchased the JESLA for charging our Rav4ev, I wanted to make sure I have all the necessary adapters. I purchased a 30A Male to 50A Female. I decided that I needed rather wanted to cover all my bases. So I thought I would venture out and make a 14-50 amp to 6-50 amp adapter. I purchased a surface mount female 14-50 like the one I used at home for the JESLA. I then found a 6-50 male connector. I guess my question is the following. On the box for the 6-50 it suggests that you use a three wire cable with a white neutral, black power, and the green for ground. Since this is a 240 volt hookup I was a bit confused. The 14-50 has two hots, a neutral, and a ground. The neutral and ground both connect to the ground bar inside the electrical panel. So I figured that I would use the black and the white as power and the green as ground since I only am using a three wire cable. Did I miss something here. Is the 6-50 different like maybe three phase or something. Am I going to blow something up doing the way I am suggesting?
Thanks,
Manny

drmanny3 said:
I recently purchased the JESLA for charging our Rav4ev, I wanted to make sure I have all the necessary adapters. I purchased a 30A Male to 50A Female. I decided that I needed rather wanted to cover all my bases. So I thought I would venture out and make a 14-50 amp to 6-50 amp adapter.

You can just buy NEMA 6-50 plug from Tesla for the JESLA:

http://shop.teslamotors.com/products/nema-6-50

I purchased a surface mount female 14-50 like the one I used at home for the JESLA. I then found a 6-50 male connector. I guess my question is the following. On the box for the 6-50 it suggests that you use a three wire cable with a white neutral, black power, and the green for ground. Since this is a 240 volt hookup I was a bit confused. The 14-50 has two hots, a neutral, and a ground. The neutral and ground both connect to the ground bar inside the electrical panel. So I figured that I would use the black and the white as power and the green as ground since I only am using a three wire cable. Did I miss something here. Is the 6-50 different like maybe three phase or something. Am I going to blow something up doing the way I am suggesting?
Thanks,
Manny

I'm not going to guess as to the colors, but you need two 120 volt "hots" and a ground for a NEMA 6-50.

For the NEMA 14-50, they add neutral that is typically grounded in the breaker box.

Do not use neutral in a 6-50 !!!!

The 6-50 plug from the online Tesla store is currently sold out. I just placed an order on their wait list for this product. No ETA provided.

Well I was so pleased with myself having put the damn thing together. It ended up costing me about $30. However, the Tesla adapter is integrated into their unit. A much better looking solution. So I will probably order one as well. Thanks for the input.
Manny

tjka4231 said:
The 6-50 plug from the online Tesla store is currently sold out. I just placed an order on their wait list for this product. No ETA provided.

Update, I ordered the Tesla 6-50 plug online at 6:15am today on their wait list and I just received an email 6 hours later saying it has been shipped.

drmanny3 said:
Well I was so pleased with myself having put the damn thing together. It ended up costing me about $30. However, the Tesla adapter is integrated into their unit. A much better looking solution. So I will probably order one as well. Thanks for the input.
Manny
I have a vague recollection that the Tesla adaptors have diodes wired inside to tell either the car or the EVSE which amperage to use. Since you are using it on a RAV4EV which at the most draws 40 Amps I don't think you will have an issue. You might want to find out for sure and label it in case one of your Tesla friends tries to use it at 60 Amp. If you do buy the Tesla adaptor then no problem.

drmanny3 said:
Manny
I have a vague recollection that the Tesla adaptors have diodes wired inside to tell either the car or the EVSE which amperage to use. Since you are using it on a RAV4EV which at the most draws 40 Amps I don't think you will have an issue. You might want to find out for sure and label it in case one of your Tesla friends tries to use it at 60 Amps. If you do buy the Tesla adaptor then no problem.

Ampster said:
You might want to find out for sure and label it in case one of your Tesla friends tries to use it at 60 Amps. If you do buy the Tesla adaptor then no problem.
The Tesla mobile connector never goes above 40 amps, so no worry there. You would want to make sure you don't make an adapter that goes from a 50-amp male plug to a 30-amp or smaller plug, though.

I have always wondered about one particular case - what do you do when you want to plug into a 14-50 or 6-50 outlet that's on a 40 amp circuit? I think code generally permits this, and it's probably how a lot of people have installed their 30 amp EVSEs, but you shouldn't be drawing more than 32 amps on a 40 amp circuit. Is there any way to handle this with the mobile connector or do you have to use a 30 amp plug for the MC and make an adapter from that plug to a 14-50 or 6-50 plug?

6-50 and 14-50 are inherently 50A outlets, so they should have wiring and breakers that match that rating. So, they should never have a 40A breaker. I think the situation you ponder as being a problem should never happen.

fooljoe said:
I have always wondered about one particular case - what do you do when you want to plug into a 14-50 or 6-50 outlet that's on a 40 amp circuit? I think code generally permits this, and it's probably how a lot of people have installed their 30 amp EVSEs, but you shouldn't be drawing more than 32 amps on a 40 amp circuit. Is there any way to handle this with the mobile connector or do you have to use a 30 amp plug for the MC and make an adapter from that plug to a 14-50 or 6-50 plug?
When using one with a Model S, you would use the controls in the car to manually dial down the charge rate. I don't think the Rav has that feature (does it?). Of course if the reason someone has such a circuit is for an EVSE, you could always just plug into that EVSE. Otherwise...perhaps it might be possible to hack one of the 50a adapters to signal 40a to the MC?

TonyWilliams said:
The Tesla 50 amp plug already signals and provides 40 amps.
As it should, for a 50 amp circuit. But I'm talking about a 40 amp circuit, for which the MC should signal 32 amps.

miimura said:
6-50 and 14-50 are inherently 50A outlets, so they should have wiring and breakers that match that rating. So, they should never have a 40A breaker. I think the situation you ponder as being a problem should never happen.
My understanding is it's actually quite common (and allowed by the NEC) to have a 40A circuit with a 50A receptacle installed, the reason being that there aren't really any standard 40A plugs/receptacles. Non-hardwired versions of 30A EVSEs almost always come with a 6-50 plug, and call for a 40A circuit with a 6-50 receptacle. Other applications that might use a 40A circuit with a 50A receptacle could include an electric range or other appliance.

davewill said:
When using one with a Model S, you would use the controls in the car to manually dial down the charge rate. I don't think the Rav has that feature (does it?). Of course if the reason someone has such a circuit is for an EVSE, you could always just plug into that EVSE. Otherwise...perhaps it might be possible to hack one of the 50a adapters to signal 40a to the MC?
I know that's what a Model S driver would do, but the Rav doesn't have this feature. Obviously if there were already a 30 amp EVSE you could use that instead (although it might be nice to squeeze out the extra 2 amps), but I imagine a scenario where somebody moves into a house where a 30A evse was installed on a 40A circuit with a 50A receptacle, but the previous owner took the EVSE with him. Or maybe you want to sell your old 30A EVSE and use a Tesla MC on the same circuit. Or perhaps you might want to charge at a friend's house where there's a 40A electric range or other type of circuit with a 50A receptacle. Probably for occasional usage it's fine to just go at the full 40A on a 40A circuit, but for any sort of regular usage of course that's not a good idea. It's interesting that Tesla doesn't seem to provide any sort of adapter to facilitate 32A charging when encountering a 40A circuit.

EDIT: Actually I just found that Tesla does provide adapters for 32A charging in the European market, so it seems clear that a 14-50 or 6-50 adapter could somehow be "hacked" to cause the MC to generate a 32A pilot, or maybe an adapter from one of these European adapters to a 14-50 plug could do the trick, or maybe not if the European MC is configured differently.

EDIT 2: Ok the Euro thing probably wouldn't work because the Euro MC can work on 3-phase and so is probably completely different. But hacking a 14-50 adapter might still be an option.

A RAV4 EV plugged into a 14-50 or 6-50 outlet through a Jesla, fed by a 40A breaker could trip the breaker in about 10 minutes. Circuit Breaker Characteristic Trip Curves
My understanding is it's actually quite common (and allowed by the NEC) to have a 40A circuit with a 50A receptacle installed, the reason being that there aren't really any standard 40A plugs/receptacles. Non-hardwired versions of 30A EVSEs almost always come with a 6-50 plug, and call for a 40A circuit with a 6-50 receptacle. Other applications that might use a 40A circuit with a 50A receptacle could include an electric range or other appliance.
I think the lack of 40A sockets was the main reason that these 30-32A EVSEs were initially not offered with plugs and had to be hardwired.
Obviously if there were already a 30 amp EVSE you could use that instead (although it might be nice to squeeze out the extra 2 amps), but I imagine a scenario where somebody moves into a house where a 30A evse was installed on a 40A circuit with a 50A receptacle, but the previous owner took the EVSE with him. Or maybe you want to sell your old 30A EVSE and use a Tesla MC on the same circuit. Or perhaps you might want to charge at a friend's house where there's a 40A electric range or other type of circuit with a 50A receptacle. Probably for occasional usage it's fine to just go at the full 40A on a 40A circuit, but for any sort of regular usage of course that's not a good idea. It's interesting that Tesla doesn't seem to provide any sort of adapter to facilitate 32A charging when encountering a 40A circuit.
I think Tesla doesn't support 32A charging because there is no standard 40A sockets. Their pilot signal is keyed off the outlet type and their car is adjustable, so for their customers it's not a problem. I'm sure they never imagined something like the Jesla would ever be made.

Back