RAV4 EV 2014 update?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
I believe the cheapest Model S (40 kwh model) started at $59,900 before $7,500 Federal tax credit.
I don't understand why so many people drink the Tesla pricing Kool-Aid and quote the purchase price after the $7,500 Federal tax credit! You're going to pay sales tax on $67,400, not on $59,900. You're going to get a loan for $67,400 minus your down payment, not on $59,900 minus down payment. You won't get your $7,500 tax credit until after you file your taxes next year (and if you owe the IRS money, you'll just owe $7,500 less). Your auto insurance will be based on a $67,400 car, not a $59,900 car. So let's not let Tesla's misleading pricing get into our heads - please use the actual price of the vehicle, not the fungible price posted on Tesla's website!

Blastphemy said:
I don't understand why so many people drink the Tesla pricing Kool-Aid and quote the purchase price after the $7,500 Federal tax credit! You're going to pay sales tax on $67,400, not on $59,900. You're going to get a loan for $67,400 minus your down payment, not on $59,900 minus down payment. You won't get your $7,500 tax credit until after you file your taxes next year (and if you owe the IRS money, you'll just owe $7,500 less). Your auto insurance will be based on a $67,400 car, not a $59,900 car. So let's not let Tesla's misleading pricing get into our heads - please use the actual price of the vehicle, not the fungible price posted on Tesla's website!

I agree with all points. That is why we should take Tesla's stated "$35K" pricing for the Gen III with a large grain of salt. I'm guessing that the actual price paid before taxes will be at least $50K once it has options comparable to what we have in the RAV4 EV. Note also that Tesla rapidly jacked up prices and discontinued the cheapest Model S early in its production period. That may well happen again if the Gen III proves to be popular as well.

Pure speculation, but maybe the Model E (or whatever they're gonna call it) will be $35k for 20kwh, $45k for 30kwh, and $55k for 40kwh. 200 mile range in a smaller aerodynamic car implies 40kwh battery. If they are promising $35k (before tax credit) for 40kwh, that would be too good to be true!

You will love Tesla's Kool-Aid even more for financing a model S. They used the "assumed" gas saved money into the financing price of the S payment.

I know this will get math challenged people to say... hell, I can afford $580 a month payment. Uh, try about $1000 without the marketing fussy math. :lol:

Birddog said:
When did Toyota release the 2013 model and will they likely follow the same time line when they release the 2014?

The 2013 was released sometime this summer. They were WAY behind in 2012, which was released Sept 24, 2012. But, that is the game they play with California to comply with Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) credits.

When the model years are released, and how many are released will likely depend on how they calculate their CARB-ZEV credits... the only reason the car is built. The only difference between a 2012 and a 2014 (the last year) will be the letter C or D changing to an E on the Vehicle Indentification Number (VIN).

Expect the exact same fanfare for 2014 model year as the 2013 got... ZERO.

Back