Rav4 EV for sale, POST HERE ONLY

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, that lines up with what I found. That's good news in turn for out of state gamblers like myself, as CARB rules would have no sway away from CARB-land.

CarMax has 6 RAV4 EVs at the moment. 5 in California, 1 (non-transferrable) still in Maryland, apparently marooned there.

Price range is pocket change under $30-36k: yep, dealers have dipped below the $30k threshold. The one blue one remaining is $36k, but for those who want white or silver you have your pick.

http://www.carmax.com/search?search=rav4+ev&AZ=80238&ADc=90

Here is a Rav4EV on eBay from Fresno, CA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-RAV4-EV-FWD-4dr-2014-rav-4-ev-rare-electric-car-electric-vehicle-/261785189050?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3cf39cfaba&item=261785189050&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Hi all,

Apologies if wrong forum, though noob here so please be gentle ;-)

I've read a lots of posts re out of state potential issues. This rav4ev (http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?showcaseListingId=393471839&mmt=%5BTOYOTA%5BRAV4%5BRAV4%257CEV%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=381052572&Log=0) I can get for 34.5 with 9100 miles and "promise" (to my satisfaction and in writing) that for any warranty issues that could not be fulfilled at this dealer then they would transport car (at their expense) to nearest ev qualified dealer in CA.
This is very coincidental with this recall announced yesterday, and I'd change text for that too, ie all mandatory recalls as well.

Although it's a little more than I could likely get by buying directly from CA, what do others think? Note it's a 09/13 original purchase, so no incentives and warranty until 2016.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Mikebur said:
Hi all,

I've read a lots of posts re out of state potential issues. This rav4ev (http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?showcaseListingId=393471839&mmt=%5BTOYOTA%5BRAV4%5BRAV4%257CEV%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=381052572&Log=0) I can get for 34.5 with 9100 miles and "promise" (to my satisfaction and in writing) that for any warranty issues that could not be fulfilled at this dealer then they would transport car (at their expense) to nearest ev qualified dealer in CA.

Are you prepared to take them to court to uphold their contract? Are you going to have a lawyer review the contract?

I would just assume that there is NO WAY that they will actually ship it to California. There will be some reason why (after you paid them lots of real cash) that it can't be done.

Maybe I'm too jaded, but I never spend extra money for promises.

Here's what I would do. If you like the car, work on the price and use their "offer" as a discount. First, ask them how much it costs for the round trip shipping to California. Whatever that number is, tell them that you don't want their XXX dollar shipping offer, and instead will just take that amount off the price.

Drive, be happy. If there truly is a problem that they can't handle, just know that it's about $600 each way to California.

TonyWilliams said:
Mikebur said:
Hi all,

Are you prepared to take them to court to uphold their contract? Are you going to have a lawyer review the contract?

I would just assume that there is NO WAY that they will actually ship it to California. There will be some reason why (after you paid them lots of real month) that it can't be done.

Maybe I'm too jaded, but I never spend extra money for promises.

Here's what I would do. If you like the car, work on the price and use their "offer" as a discount. First, ask them how much it costs for the round trip shipping to California. Whatever that number is, tell them that you don't want their XXX dollar shipping offer, and instead will just take that amount off the price.

Drive, be happy. If there truly is a problem that they can't handle, just know that it's about $600 each way to California.

Thanks Tony. They're playing pretty much hardball on price, though I like your tactic of building in expected cost difference based on transport for me - even more real with this recall. I did mention this recall to them, and after half a day they came back that they had a Toyota tech from Oregon (not California surprisingly) coming up to do the recall... Sounds a little strange...
The dealer I already know and trust, we've bought cars from them for 18+ years, and the owner said he'd sign off on a letter of intent that I would write for them...
What would you believe a fair counter-offer? 30?

Thanks, Mike

(Btw fan of your work for Jesla and JaDeMo now, ever thought of Tesla plug to J1772 plug or is finding tesla receptacle not possible?)

Mikebur said:
Thanks Tony. They're playing pretty much hardball on price, though I like your tactic of building in expected cost difference based on transport for me - even more real with this recall. I did mention this recall to them, and after half a day they came back that they had a Toyota tech from Oregon (not California surprisingly) coming up to do the recall... Sounds a little strange...
The dealer I already know and trust, we've bought cars from them for 18+ years, and the owner said he'd sign off on a letter of intent that I would write for them...
What would you believe a fair counter-offer? 30?

The counter offer depends on how fast and badly you want it. Sure, offer something lower, but you'll be fine value wise anywhere in the mid $30k's.

If you trust them, just write a simple, straight forward statement the way the dealer offered it...

"XYZ dealer will be responsible for all transportation arrangements, costs, fees, surcharges, taxes, to the nearest Toyota USA authorized and approved RAV4 EV service repair shop for any repairs, adjustments, maintenance, service, warranty claims, or any other necessary interaction with the vehicle that XYZ dealer cannot or will not perform.

(Btw fan of your work for Jesla and JaDeMo now, ever thought of Tesla plug to J1772 plug or is finding tesla receptacle not possible?)

We will likely have that plug this fall / winter. It won't be cheap.

shikataganai said:
CarMax has 6 RAV4 EVs at the moment. 5 in California, 1 (non-transferrable) still in Maryland, apparently marooned there.

Price range is pocket change under $30-36k: yep, dealers have dipped below the $30k threshold. The one blue one remaining is $36k, but for those who want white or silver you have your pick.

http://www.carmax.com/search?search=rav4+ev&AZ=80238&ADc=90
I am amazed how low the DTE gauge shows on these used models.
Must be driven hard or something.

TonyWilliams said:
The counter offer depends on how fast and badly you want it. Sure, offer something lower, but you'll be fine value wise anywhere in the mid $30k's.

If you trust them, just write a simple, straight forward statement the way the dealer offered it...

"XYZ dealer will be responsible for all transportation arrangements, costs, fees, surcharges, taxes, to the nearest Toyota USA authorized and approved RAV4 EV service repair shop for any repairs, adjustments, maintenance, service, warranty claims, or any other necessary interaction with the vehicle that XYZ dealer cannot or will not perform.
Again, thanks. Sound thinking and all feedback is a gift :)

MikeBur said:
TonyWilliams said:
We will likely have that plug this fall / winter. It won't be cheap.
Ok, thanks. Primarily want more flexibility in garage / using a Tesla UMC (I believe I read I could use a Jesla conversion with J1772 adapter even now, right? :))

Again thanks for the prompt, useful, responses.

Cheers, Mike

[/quote]
Primarily want more flexibility in garage / using a Tesla UMC (I believe I read I could use a Jesla conversion with J1772 adapter even now, right? :))

Again thanks for the prompt, useful, responses.

Cheers, Mike[/quote]

The Jesla is a Tesla UMC with a J1772 plug. It will work at various charge rates depending on the adapter on the supply side. See the Quick Charge Power site for details. It's very portable.

I think the $34.5k doesn't sound like a good deal. I paid $30,998 for a 12k mile blue 2012 from CarMax, $599 shipping to Denver via them ("transfer fee"). I never signed any papers saying I'd keep it in California and the warranty is good through Feb 2016.

Have a 2013 Blue Rav4EV for sale. It has 26,500 miles and i have a unlimited mileage lease for $488/month that you could take over with money down. Still under full warranty.

They might. One problem is that there is a stop-sale for the car because of a recall that does not have a fix yet. Before taking the car out of state, you would want to make sure the recall is taken care of unless you know someone at a Toyota dealer that can get the software update whenever it is available. It might be easier just to buy it outright because you are out of state. I would sell it for $28,500.

I used to know a lot of people at one of the local Toyota dealers (and the Lexus dealer). But I've been reading online that most of the out of state service centers won't even touch it for tire rotations lol. Is that true?

$28,500 is tempting!

Outcome said:
I used to know a lot of people at one of the local Toyota dealers (and the Lexus dealer). But I've been reading online that most of the out of state service centers won't even touch it for tire rotations lol. Is that true?

$28,500 is tempting!

I've never heard of a Tesla Service center agreeing to regular service of the RAV4 EV. Yes, I'm sure there may be some exception made somewhere, but I wouldn't buy an out-of-state car based on a verbal agreement.

The correct people to ask are the Toyota dealers.

TWO SEPARATE RAV4 EVs AVAILABLE

WILL DELIVER ANYWHERE

TonyWilliams (((at))) QuickChargePower (((daught))) com

FOR SALE OR LEASE TRANSFER:

Pearl White - 23,000 miles

CA license - "QCPOWER" paid until Jan 2016
White HOV stickers (not affixed to body)

$39,500 or $9,500 and assume lease of approximately $500 monthly until Jan 2017. Option to buy at end of lease for approximately $18,000.

VIN # 2T3 YL4 DV5 EW 002496

Unlimited mileage lease, currently 23,000 miles

NEW TESLA MOTOR ASSEMBLY
NEW TESLA ONBOARD CHARGER

* JdeMO, for DC quick charging at CHAdeMO public stations
* JESLA, the 40 amp J1772 premium portable charge solution
* JLong, the 40 amp J1772 premium extension cable

FOR SALE:

Pearl White - 53,000 miles

$35,000

VIN # 2T3 YL4 DV3 CW 001134

CA license - "EVRAV4" paid until Nov 2015
White HOV stickers (not affixed to body)

* Michelin Defender tires, 90,000 mile warranty @ 40,000 miles
* Toyota Platinum Warranty, 7 years - 125,000 miles

EVERY TESLA POWERTRAIN PRODUCT REPLACED EXCEPT BATTERY & CHARGER
Heater replaced

THIS CAR COMPLETED BC2BC-2013 ALL ELECTRIC VEHICLE RALLY, WITH DECAL STILL ON HOOD

* JdeMO, for DC quick charging at CHAdeMO public stations
* JESLA, the 40 amp J1772 premium portable charge solution
* JLong, the 40 amp J1772 premium extension cable

CF3C09AD-D318-45C6-BA0A-BC3D0EB669B0-712-00000073C8ECC615.jpg

2546FF9B-CCE1-4D71-9BDB-9EDC683EF232-9564-00000465AF2C4C88.jpg

94A612E6-C4DD-4103-9224-283665845D72.jpg

A3E2CEB3-D72D-42BB-AD47-35DB780D0C8F-9564-00000558AFE07B6B.jpg

I can strip all options, no lease (it actually a bit of a pain in the ass to transfer), cash price is:

#2496 ----------- #1134 - serial number
23,000 ---------- 53,000 - miles
$39,500 -------- $35,000 - asking price
($2,499) ------- ($2,499) -less JdeMO
($999) ----------($999) - less JESLA
($279) ----------($279) - less JLong

$35,723--------$31,223 net price

FOB San Diego, CA

Back