Rav4 EV owner funded CHAdeMO's, SBA to SJC

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
miimura said:
People at the Gilroy Supercharger spotted more electrical work in the vicinity and talked to the workers. It is a going to be a NRG EVgo station with its own utility transformer in the same area of the outlet shops as the Superchargers. This at least gets us a little further down the 101 corridor from San Jose.

The more the merrier, but one in Paso Robles would make made more sense imho

The more the merrier indeed. We have discussed this before in the SBA-SJC thread. For the RAV, you only need King City. With this one in Gilroy and the upcoming CHAdeMO in San Luis Obispo, it's no sweat - 75 to 80 miles per leg. However, if you want to accommodate all the other CHAdeMO equipped cars at freeway speed, you probably need Salinas, King City, Paso Robles.

Does NRG have anything (website or document) that shows future or pending installs? I've searched endlessly for this and cannot find anything.

They much have something available for future planning.

I may have a spare CHAdeMO charger or two in the near future.

If anybody can find a business in Paso Robles, or slightly north of Paso Robles, that would like to host a charger, let me know.

This is where we need "boots on the ground".

With the pending charger in San Luis Obispo, the marginal one in Solvang (at least in summer when it overheats), and one in Monterey, this is the last place we need to fill for the RAV4's LA-SF drive.

I would suggest King City as an option like miimura suggested.

What sort of requirements would be necessary to host a L3 charger? (type of power, space, etc...) I have an idea for a location in King City but it will require some checking into.

There will be a L3 charger at Madonnna Inn in SLO soon since there appears to be conduit that was recently placed in the ground with several concrete pads from a nearby power pole at a site near the entrance of Madonna inn.

There's also a new L3 charger at the Goleta Costco for those people that don't take 154.

"TonyWilliams" wrote:
> may have a spare CHAdeMO charger or two in the near future.
> If anybody can find a business in Paso Robles, or slightly north of Paso Robles, that would like to host a charger, let me know.
> This is where we need "boots on the ground".
> With the pending charger in San Luis Obispo, the marginal one in Solvang (at least in summer when it overheats),
> and one in Monterey, this is the last place we need to fill for the RAV4's LA-SF drive.

_If_ you have a second one available,
put it to work at the parking lot of the gas station in weed on the 5.
That would complete the possibility to go chademo all the way to Oregon/Washington with the Rav4ev with Jdemo ;-)

Ok, Weed,, Paso Robles and King City (distant third, because of Monterey) all sound great. If you know folks in these areas who can host, let me know.

The agreement is simple:

1) need 480v 80a electrical power
2) need two parking spots available 24/7
3) will consider billing /revenue sharing

"TonyWilliams" wrote
> Ok, Weed,, Paso Robles and King City (distant third, because of Monterey) all sound great.
> If you know folks in these areas who can host, let me know.
> The agreement is simple:
> 1) need 480v 80a electrical power
> 2) need two parking spots available 24/7
> 3) will consider billing /revenue sharing[/quote]

You seem to know more people than a lot of people I know.
Maybe you could contact the people from shorepower.com ?
They already have power available at the parking lot in Weed:
See picture 7,8 and 9 at http://evtrips.blogspot.com/2015/06/day-4-of-12-oregon-trip-june-2nd.html
each mushroom has 480volt 32 amp 3 phase available.
I am pretty sure you could tap into 480V/80 amp somewhere.

Another great (imho) location where they have this setup available is at the bottom of the grapevine:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Flying+J/@34.816577,-118.887685,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x80e9efbe677d9285:0xf025c089e1668cd8
That would make us less dependent on the bakersfield (not so depended) charger.

I'm not sure I follow the logic of putting an L3 charger in Paso Robles as opposed to King City since there will be one in SLO soon.

Paso Robles is only 31 miles north of SLO which is not far enough to need a quick charge assuming the driver charged up in SLO. King City is 79 miles north of SLO and almost midway between Gilroy and SLO. Gilroy is only 75 miles North of King City. Most of the electric vehicles with 80 miles of range could likely drive from SLO, to King City and then to Gilroy or Monterey. It would even be possible to even drive from King City to San Jose if freeway speeds were kept to 60 since the distance is 106 miles.

However if there were only quick chargers in SLO, Paso Robles, Monterey, and Gilroy/Bay Area people would still have to make a 116 mile drive from Paso Robles to Monterey (up a hill to CHOMP at the end too) and then from Monterey to Gilroy/Bay Area. Monterey is basically not along the path between SLO and the Bay Area so it would require a detour to use the L3 charger. It is possible to drive from Paso Robles to Gilroy if freeway speeds were kept down, but at 127 miles not all of the EV's would be able to make it. Basically the stretch from Paso Robles to Monterey or Gilroy would likely be out of the range of most current EV's.

Incredulocious said:
swogee said:
I'm not sure I follow the logic of putting an L3 charger in Paso Robles as opposed to King City since there will be one in SLO soon.
Yes, hear hear! King City over Paso Robles.

Ok, King City. What is a good location to scout there?

I love the Shorepower connection, because they will be exactly where we want remote chargers (but probably not in King City).

"TonyWilliams" wrote:
> I love the Shorepower connection, because they will be exactly where we want remote chargers (but probably not in King City).

Yep!
(parking) space, power, restrooms, food court and general store.

Tony, are these "spare" chargers Sumitomo 44kw units or 50kw ABB's, etc? The only reason I ask is if they are the Sumi's.. what about a maint plan and who will take care of them for reliability and all those filters?

Does CP or NRG have firmware that only runs the fans when charging on those units because they always seem to work. Unlike the modified ones which fans run 24/7 clogging the filters.

JasonA said:
Tony, are these "spare" chargers Sumitomo 44kw units or 50kw ABB's, etc? The only reason I ask is if they are the Sumi's.. what about a maint plan and who will take care of them for reliability and all those filters?

Does CP or NRG have firmware that only runs the fans when charging on those units because they always seem to work. Unlike the modified ones which fans run 24/7 clogging the filters.

None of the vendors change the UL listed firmware on a charger. The only changes might be the timeout (NRG) and total max amps, which is already in the firmware.

One is an oddball charger (50kW / 125 amp), the others are 44kW (115 amp) Nissan / Sumitomo.

Any charger placed in an out-of-the-way place will have to have the updated hardware (filters, fans).

There appears to a recently installed CHADEMO/CCS L3 DC fast charger installed at Blanco Rd and Hwy 68 in Salinas. The charger is operational as of 4 days ago and it seems to be a 50KW ABB unit on the NRG EVGO network. It's $9.95 for 30 minutes. So Gilroy isn't the closest point to SLO with a DC fast charger now. The location of the charger isn't close to 101, but if a person is traveling from SLO to Monterey it is along the route to Monterey.

That's installed and King City will getting one shorty. It's funny how the Tesla guys are more excited about this then we are! :roll:

And seems they are on top of CHAdeMO installs like flies on...

well you know..

JasonA said:
That's installed and King City will getting one shorty. It's funny how the Tesla guys are more excited about this then we are! :roll:

well you know..

King City got a Bosch with an SAE Combo handle, and it's been down and broken almost as soon as it was installed, stayed running 2 weeks or so. This seems to run rampant with the Bosch 24kw stations being installed. Up and running, and then dead within 2 or 3 months, or less, with no one around to fix it, or spare parts? The comments on Plugshare are telling. Fragile.

JoulesThief said:
JasonA said:

well you know..

King City got a Bosch with an SAE Combo handle, and it's been down and broken almost as soon as it was installed, stayed running 2 weeks or so. This seems to run rampant with the Bosch 24kw stations being installed. Up and running, and then dead within 2 or 3 months, or less, with no one around to fix it, or spare parts? The comments on Plugshare are telling. Fragile.
Even the one at the BMW Tech facility in Mountain View regularly has problems like power reduced to 10kW. At least they are there to call someone to get it fixed and they care about their image. I'm sure the hotel in King City is much less motivated to do anything about it. Hopefully it's on a maintenance contract and the site host won't have to fork over money every time the thing is not working right.

Stolen and edited from the Kia Soul EV forum on Facebook:

San Luis Obispo gets a CHAdeMO! Saw this pop up on the NREL API few days ago so we decided to take the Soul to LA instead of regular Forester trip. Left Monterey, topped off at Salinas nrg station for a few minutes, then made it to King City and charged for 2 hours. Made it all the way down to the new SLO charger with 13 miles left, 81.83 mi trip. Drove 55-60 uphill to keep some reserve charge. Charger is behind the Vons — at Marigold Plaza.

image.jpg1.jpg

Back