RAV4 EV won't do a scheduled charge

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcapizzo

Hi everyone. I've had occasional issues in the past with the car not charging for the scheduled charge 1 evening, but this is the first time it's gone 2 straight nights without doing the scheduled charge. I've verified the "Next departure time" within charge management from the Entune app.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

fcapizzo said:
Hi everyone. I've had occasional issues in the past with the car not charging for the scheduled charge 1 evening, but this is the first time it's gone 2 straight nights without doing the scheduled charge. I've verified the "Next departure time" within charge management from the Entune app.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Here is what happened to me:

Double check the J1772 connector is in the "locked" position.
Re-seat the plug just to be sure and you hear a click.
Had that happen once and it wasn't charged the next day.
Am not saying this is what is happening in your case, just double check it

It may have been possible for me to have not fully connected the J1772 connector, but I don't think that's ever happened. The connection from my charger clicks in the locked position very easily on the RAV4. But thanks, I did check that.

I think I'll have to move back the destination time in Entune. So I'll set the next next destination time for 10PM tonight to see what happens.

Did you use the included 110V Level 1 EVSE cable to charge? There's a known bug where the car won't do a scheduled Level 2 charge after charging via 110V. You can get around it by briefly charging via Level 2, disconnecting the nozzle, and then reconnecting and letting the car wait for a scheduled charge.

eschatfische said:
Did you use the included 110V Level 1 EVSE cable to charge? There's a known bug where the car won't do a scheduled Level 2 charge after charging via 110V. You can get around it by briefly charging via Level 2, disconnecting the nozzle, and then reconnecting and letting the car wait for a scheduled charge.

That's an interesting statement. I haven't used the included 110V cable since I got the car about 2 years ago, and until recently I've never charged outside the home. At home I have a 30A Siemens Versacharge Level 2 charger. Last week I used a Chargepoint station outside the home. Looking at that station's info, though, it says it's a Level 2. So I guess that's not exactly what you're saying, and now that I think of it I'm pretty sure the car charged after that on scheduled charges for 2 or 3 days before the issue occurred.

But if I'm to try your suggestion of charging, are you referring to performing a manual charge? And would I need to let it fully charge?

But if I'm to try your suggestion of charging, are you referring to performing a manual charge? And would I need to let it fully charge?

I do think it would be a good idea to do a manual charge for troubleshooting purposes even if this isn't related to the 110V bug. You shouldn't need to let it fully charge as long as a manual charge is initiated and runs for a few minutes.

I did a manual charge 2 nights ago, then last night I just bumped up the scheduled time to midnight. It did charge on its own from the schedule, which is great. I'll let the schedule kick back to my standard departure time of 5AM and hopefully the schedule charges will be good again. Thanks.

fcapizzo said:
I did a manual charge 2 nights ago, then last night I just bumped up the scheduled time to midnight. It did charge on its own from the schedule, which is great. I'll let the schedule kick back to my standard departure time of 5AM and hopefully the schedule charges will be good again. Thanks.

It's possible that if you plug in the Rav too late to meet the desired charge completion time (as calculated by the Rav), that the charge will not start for that session. Be sure it is plugged in way early as the Rav "calculations" are horribly incorrect. May car often completes charging an hour or more before the scheduled departure time. The more charging needed the more error in the Rav calculations.

You'll get a good idea based on the Entune emails for charge start and completion.

Back