Running boards on the RAV4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertantal

I just got a set of aluminum running boards specially made for the EV version of the RAV4. I have been a litle bit worried about the instalation and fitment but it looks like this wersion is a 15 minute install with no drilling or cutting. I will post some photos later in the afternoon with the boards installed on my car and some closeups with the brackets connected to the bodytrough the factory provided holes.
For now here is the link to the seller on e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290965675086?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
If anybgody has different ones on their car please post photos and describe the ease of installing them.

I have these installed on my Rav 4.
They do fit in the pre-drilled holes underneath, but it's more than a 15 minute job.
The problem is that unlike the hitch holes were the nuts are already in the frame, these holes do not have the nuts in them.
The kit comes with nuts bolted to a flat rectangular metal piece that has to go in the hole.

The hard part is that you don't have any way of holding them while you bolt it in, and if you lose it, it will slide into the frame.

I did the first 2 by looping a thin fishing line around it, so that I could hold it while threading the nut ... Those 2 took over one hour, and were frustrating.
The other 2 sets, I held with a needle nose plier, while I put them in the whole, being careful no to lose them, then put duck tape on each side to be able to hold it long enough to thread the bolts ..

The rest is pretty much a no-brainer, and this would really be a 10 minute job, if it wasn't for the darn nuts... :idea:

Good luck.

Here are the first photos:
steps1.JPG

steps2.JPG

steps3.JPG

rayray said:
I have these installed on my Rav 4.
They do fit in the pre-drilled holes underneath, but it's more than a 15 minute job.
The problem is that unlike the hitch holes were the nuts are already in the frame, these holes do not have the nuts in them.
The kit comes with nuts bolted to a flat rectangular metal piece that has to go in the hole.

The hard part is that you don't have any way of holding them while you bolt it in, and if you lose it, it will slide into the frame.

I did the first 2 by looping a thin fishing line around it, so that I could hold it while threading the nut ... Those 2 took over one hour, and were frustrating.
The other 2 sets, I held with a needle nose plier, while I put them in the whole, being careful no to lose them, then put duck tape on each side to be able to hold it long enough to thread the bolts ..

The rest is pretty much a no-brainer, and this would really be a 10 minute job, if it wasn't for the darn nuts... :idea:

Good luck.
Attache a small magnet to your wrench or the head of the screw and the nut will not fall in to the hole. I did it without the magnet but is just an idea to make your job easyer.

Back