Should I get this used Rav?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to be rude or argumentative, but TonyWilliams, you are incorrect. You make it sound like I either lied or was lied to by someone else. :cry:

I'm not sure about the specific cases for other people, but in the case of this particular deal, the special Toyota rebate, Subvention cash you said, is being applied to this car. I've seen it on two different forms from the dealer. Perhaps because of the unique nature of this used vehicle is it able to qualify, but I don't pretend to know how Toyota decides how it works.

As for the rebate from CA, I was curious as to that as well, so I looked up some stuff here:
http://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/frequently-asked-questions-cvrp
And then called the center directly to find out what happens in the case of cars that are only used because of extremely specific situations, and if I can get the dealer to sign some paperwork it will qualify.

The deal specifics turned out to be.

MSRP: 50,800 and some change.
Dealer discount: $7,200.
Toyota Rebate: $7,500.
Total discount off MSRP is $14,700. It might be easier to compare that number to a new vehicle.
I already stated it is impossible for me to get more than 400-500$ on the Fed Credit so that's not even relevant to me.
Interest would be 0% if I went 6 months, but I'll probably go for more. The payment amount is not really important.

It really is moot, as I already made a decision based off the points here. But thank you everyone for your kind answers and help! I ended up pushing more and made the deal even better. :)

Krystal said:
Not to be rude or argumentative, but TonyWilliams, you are incorrect. You make it sound like I either lied or was lied to by someone else. :cry:

If you're satisfied with the answers from folks other than me, no problemo para mi!!! By the way, I don't call it "subvention" cash; Toyota does. The words are important, since you will pay the full sales tax on that "subvention". It is not a discounted purchase price for sales tax purposes.

Best wishes in your purchase. Please let us know if you get the California rebate.

Tony

For everybody else who might be misled to believe a used car is eligible for the California $2500 rebate, this is directly from the site the Krystal linked:

"What are the application requirements?

Application requirements include, but are not limited to the following:

- Applicants must be an individual, business, nonprofit or government entity that is based in California or has a California-based affiliate as specified in Section 3.3 of the CVRP Implementation Manual.

- Applicant must be a purchaser or lessee of a new vehicle currently on the CVRP List of Eligible Vehicles and as specified in Sections 2.2 and 2.3 of the CVRP Implementation Manual.

- Applicant must retain ownership of the rebated vehicle for a minimum of 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date. Rebate recipients who do not retain the eligible vehicle for the full 36-month ownership or lease period will be required to reimburse ARB all or part of the original rebate amount.

- Applicant must register the new vehicle with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for a minimum of 36 consecutive months for use in California. Any government owned vehicle not registered with the California DMV is still required to operate within California for 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date."

Not to dig up a dead Thread, but that information isn't entirely accurate, or at least as read. CVRP uses what California considers a "new" vehicle as a reference for allowing the rebate to qualify. This means that a select few used vehicles qualify, but only if the dealer supplies signed paperwork to you stating the used vehicle falls into those categories. I believe the rep I talked to told me it was a "Used Vehicle Declaration."

I was able to stack all of these onto a used vehicle discount, so my discount ended up being (I got a 2012):

10,000 Toyota Finance Cash + 4,800 Dealer Discount + 2,500 Rebate + 7,500 Tax Credit. I considered myself lucky because at first I simply thought it was a crappy deal.

Anyway, more on the rebate topic here if anyone if interested: http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=366&p=5785#p5785

Back