Stickers arrived and took 7 weeks

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulineEV

From mailing the check to receiving the stickers took 7 weeks. Just an FYI. Received today, 2-23-13.

California DMV? What a pathetic demonstration of turnaround time. Nonetheless, an excellent demonstration of an over-bloated and expensive government agency that has no concept of customer service. So, basically, from the time one purchases a vehicle to the time it can be driven in the carpool lane with a single occupant is approximately three months. (One month to get the plates, two months to get the stickers.) They have approximately 8,000 people, and almost $1B budgeted for 2013.

Joel

And just like the Postal Service, if and when they start cutting back on "work" days, things can only get worse for taxpayers. :roll:

When I applied for the Green HOV stickers for the Plug in Prius, it took only 8 days from the day I mailed my check and application (that was May 2012). I sent my application for the White HOV stickers for the RAV4 EV on Jan 26th, and waiting for my check to be cashed.

Today I spoke to the Leaf sales person at the Nissan Dealer, and he said it's been taking his customers about 8 weeks to get their HOV stickers. He said it is because there were a lot of people purchasing EV vehicles toward the end of 2012 to get a tax break :) So DMV is backlogged right now . . . DMV is one of those offices that has furlough days (unpaid days off work), to help save money . . .

I posted here: http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=165
that I applied for my sticker on December 8th and on January 14th I found out that the dealer had mistakenly registered my car with a motive power of Gas. I got the dealer to sign an affidavit and have been waiting almost 6 weeks since I sent the forms back. My check has not been cashed.

I called the DMV last week. I was in a bad mood, and figured I'd add to my misery. When I talked to the representative there, she told me that they were just now beginning processing applications from the first week of January.

I didn't rant at any point, as the people that talk to callers aren't the ones who cause these delays.

I don't know who is worse...the DMV or the IRS. The IRS won't even (according to their website) process returns for the clean air vehicle credit until "early March." Not only that, they cannot be filed electronically...further delaying any refund that someone might have had.

Joel

JBHorner said:
I called the DMV last week. I was in a bad mood, and figured I'd add to my misery. When I talked to the representative there, she told me that they were just now beginning processing applications from the first week of January.

I didn't rant at any point, as the people that talk to callers aren't the ones who cause these delays.

I don't know who is worse...the DMV or the IRS. The IRS won't even (according to their website) process returns for the clean air vehicle credit until "early March." Not only that, they cannot be filed electronically...further delaying any refund that someone might have had.

Joel

What number did you call? I am thinking I might want to make a call as well.

JBHorner said:
Fwiw, I just rec'd an acknowledgement that the IRS has "accepted" my 2012 tax return (filed online via TaxACT). My very large refund (after claiming "2" EV tax credits - THANK YOU UNCLE SAM!) should be deposited into my bank acct within 21 days. :mrgreen:

Darren said:
JBHorner said:

Joel

What number did you call? I am thinking I might want to make a call as well.

Yes, that would be great to know what number to call to ask - mine was submitted the 3rd week of January, so that means, there is still more time until mine gets processed.

Number I called: (916) 657-8035. I was given this number when I called their general toll free number.

Joel

Got my stickers today. In total in took over 90 days because the dealer misclassified my car. It was seven weeks since my corrected app was resubmitted.

JBHorner said:
Number I called: (916) 657-8035. I was given this number when I called their general toll free number.

Joel

Thanks - I called that phone number today, and they checked on the status for me, they said the computer system says they are currently working on my car, and likely it is related to the HOV stickers. I am hoping that my check will be cashed soon, I mailed the paperwork on January 26th. So, almost 2 months ago . . .

My stickers arrived in yesterday's mail.
Odd thing is apparently my dealer submitted the application for the HOV on my behalf but didn't tell me. So they sent me the denied letter to the dealer with the dealer check for 8 dollars. Interesting.

No instructions on placement of the stickers. Can Anyone post the directions of placement?

Thanks bunches

miimura said:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm

Question 23 has the question and answer.

Thanks, after I posted, I did find the instructions through a google search. hard part was to figure out where on the rear bumper, to put the small sticker :)

I sent in my application on 3/2 and am still waiting for DMV to cash my check.

One tip for speeding up the process and avoid waiting too long for plates: Use an existing custom license plate. After some pleading on my part at the DMV office, DMV let me transfer my custom license plate from one of my other cars to my RAV4 EV about 5 days after purchase (when DMV had already received Toyota's paperwork). I just had to submit a statement of facts where I promised to turn in the original assigned plates after I receive them in the mail...

kwidjaja said:
One tip for speeding up the process and avoid waiting too long for plates:...

Another trick... apparently, it's the dealership that actually gets your plate number assignment first. You can call the finance dept. and ask for the number often some time before the plates arrive in the mail. All you need is the number.

Fortunately, you only need a picture of the temp. registration (what the dealer "glued" to your windshield) to apply for the $2500 rebate. It still took about 6 weeks for that for me :-(.

I'm about 7 weeks in awaiting my HOV stickers at this point... fortunately, I've been carpooling of late :).

I sent my forms and check in for my HOV stickers on 1/20. Over the past few weeks, I called about once a week to determine if there were any issues and wondering where my stickers were. Finally on 4/10, my forms and check were returned to me saying my address was incorrect and my application was declined. The only thing is I can think of why this would be is that I requested that my stickers be sent to a different address than my registration address (the form had a place to request this). Love the CA DMV. I am so frustrated. :oops:

Update.

• 2/24: Purchased RAV4 EV
  • 3/2: Transferred custom license plate onto RAV4 EV at the DMV.
  • 3/2: Sent in my sticker application & fee.
  • 4/10: DMV processed application.
  • 4/11: Check cleared
  • 4/18: Stickers arrived in the mail today!

Total length of time from sending the application: 6 weeks and 6 days, almost 7 weeks.

Back