Tailgating power source

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phatcat73

As football season approaches, I'm considering using the RAV4 EV and my 150w power inverter to plug in some music to play over a few hours. I would leave the car in the ready to drive position in order to not drain the 12 volt. I think this is a better solution then spending $$ on a gas generator, leaving an ICE running, or risk the 12V draining in accessory mode.

Thoughts?

Phatcat73 said:
As football season approaches, I'm considering using the RAV4 EV and my 150w power inverter to plug in some music to play over a few hours. I would leave the car in the ready to drive position in order to not drain the 12 volt. I think this is a better solution then spending $$ on a gas generator, leaving an ICE running, or risk the 12V draining in accessory mode.

Thoughts?

When the car is in "on" position (pressing brake and power on)
The car starts to drain about 750 watt from the main battery to keep stuff going.
If you charge to the normal 80% and don't want to drain the last 20% of the pack,
We should be able to use 24 kWh.
You could run your car in "on" mode without driving for 24/0.75= 32 hours.
Of course if you use the full 150 watts of the inverter, it will be 24/0.9= 26 hours
Draining 900 watts from the main battery to supply 150 is a bit of overhead.
But you don't need to buy anything and easy recharged.

alternative:
I have bought a deep cycle RV 12 volt 60Ah Lead acid battery of Craigslist.
150 watt load =~13amp.
Normally you can only drain 50% of lead acid.
Would give you 30/13=2hours 20 minutes of that battery if you load if full at 150 watts all the time.
But you need to (re)charge it, it's heavy, gasses emerge when charging/discharging

I would go for the rav4ev solution ;-)

Back