Tesla Axes 40kW model

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspearman

Well folks, looks like we have a bit of unexpected exclusivity. I don't need the bigger, heavier battery, but sure would love to have that Supercharger!!! Tony, please tell me they hid on in our car somewhere.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/01/tesla-model-s-axes-40kwh-battery-option/

Official press release at http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-model-s-sales-exceed-target.

I was very surprised but still wonder if it's an early April Fool's joke.

I did know that the 40kWh were not selling. Sounds like a great deal for those who ordered it.

I very, very seriously doubt that there is the supercharger hardware is on our cars since it was never intended to suck up free electrons from Tesla and that Tesla had previously intended to make two models without Superchargers.

Now, presumably every Tesla car sold will have Supercharger access, including Model X and maybe BlueStar? Smart marketing, if so. Would you buy a LEAF or BMW i3 when you could have a Tesla BS with nationwide Supercharger access?

jspearman said:
Well folks, looks like we have a bit of unexpected exclusivity...

Very short lived. Mercedes B-class EV appears to use the very same Tesla motor/charger/battery as does our Rav4 EVs.

palmer_md said:
edmc said:
jspearman said:
Well folks, looks like we have a bit of unexpected exclusivity...

Very short lived. Mercedes B-class EV appears to use the very same Tesla motor/charger/battery as does our Rav4 EVs.

only 28kWh battery.

The data about the MB B-class EV has been all over the map. But just this week, I read a story that claimed a 115 mile range. Regardless of the capacity, the point is the supplier is TSLA... and, given the lower capacity, probably the same battery technology as our Rav4 EVs (which, btw, never seemed to jive precisely with the kWh configuration of the 40kWh Model S anyway).

Back