Tires - What alternatives would you recommend?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeler

OEM tires usually suck. I typically only get 10-20K on them so replace them right away.

The size is 225/65R-17 and they are Yokohama Geolander G91. Anyone have an opinion on the stock tires? They get sucky reviews.

My new RAV4 shows up in a couple days. What tires would you buy for ski country? All seasons with low rolling resistance would be great if they also performed in the snow.

After some research, I found Michelin Defender with a 90K mile warranty for $177/each at Discount Tire. These have great reviews.

Anyone have an opinion on the stock tires or any recommendations for an alternative?

I went with the Michelin Defenders. They gave me $55 each for my OEM tires. The total is less than $500 with the rebate card you get later.

Dsinned said:
How do do you like them? Are they quieter?

I drove the Yokohamas for less than 10 miles before switching them out so really don't know. The Michelin's have siping for traction on ice a low rolling resistance rubber that keeps soft in the cold.

I replaced the stock Yokohama G91s with Continental ProContact EcoPlus ($123 per tire at local Firestone, $656 total out the door). Came down to these or the Michelin Defenders (top choice of Continental Cross Contact LX20 EcoPlus were out of stock practically across the nation). My sense after 500+ miles is that the new tires run quieter and provide a smoother ride; not enough miles to compare fuel efficiency. Let me know if anyone (preferably in SoCal) is interested in the Yokohamas takeoffs, as a set or individual tires towards a spare, $50 each for fellow RAV4 EV owners, about 525 miles on them, they sell for $170 each before shipping on TireRack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5TR7PCEP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...7GEOHTV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Run flat tires are heavy and crummy all around. The Energy Saver AS is another OEM tire. Call tire rack and speak to someone with experience in efficient tires, there are more efficient tires available that also have more traction. Many folks are replacing tires with other average OEM models when there are far superior options.

reeler said:
I went with the Michelin Defenders. They gave me $55 each for my OEM tires. The total is less than $500 with the rebate card you get later.
Are you still getting the same general range with the Michelin Defenders on your Rav4 EV (i.e., approx. 90 on standard charge and 110 on extended)?

I got 2 flats a few weeks ago (ran over some nails), so I replaced my stock tires with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S. Definitely quieter than the stock Yokohamas, but it doesn't seem like I am getting any more range than before.

Ampster said:
I am getting Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires installed this morning.

EDIT
They seem quieter.

For those of you who ditched your run-flats, what do you do in the event of a flat? Are you carrying a spare? Towing service?

I used the Toyota supplied sealant/pump about a year ago and it worked well, well enough to allow me to drive 15 miles to the tire store to patch my first flat. Then I bought a replacement kit on Amazon from Slime, but when I got 2 flats at the same time it didn't do me much good and I needed a tow. Maybe I need 2 kits? :p

Khaihon said:
For those of you who ditched your run-flats, what do you do in the event of a flat? Are you carrying a spare? Towing service?

Be careful with various LRR tires, they are not all the same and your range can greatly degrade. The stock tires are not great but they are efficient. The Micheline Energy Saver is a low cost OEM tire and the defenders tend to take a efficiency penalty. It is going to be tough to get much of any benefit without a penalty hit.

robertk925 said:
I got 2 flats a few weeks ago (ran over some nails), so I replaced my stock tires with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S. Definitely quieter than the stock Yokohamas, but it doesn't seem like I am getting any more range than before.

Ampster said:
I am getting Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires installed this morning.

EDIT
They seem quieter.

You won't..

spkobay said:
The RAV EV does not have run flats. You have a sealant can and tire inflator instead of a spare tire.

:shock: All this time I thought it did for some reason! Good to know. Thanks.

4EVEREV said:
Be careful with various LRR tires, they are not all the same and your range can greatly degrade. The stock tires are not great but they are efficient. The Micheline Energy Saver is a low cost OEM tire and the defenders tend to take a efficiency penalty. It is going to be tough to get much of any benefit without a penalty hit.

Any idea what kind of range hit one would get with the Energy Savers or Defenders?

I have Energy Savers on my Sienna and my in laws have Defenders on their Odyssey. Both seem much quieter than the current RAV4EV tire. I'd like to get something quieter next time...tire noise is about the only noise I can hear when driving the RAV4EV.

Thanks
Mike

Check out the threads on the MNL forum and Prius chat. A change form one LRR to another can easily introduce a 10% range hit. The Ecopias had mixed reviews on the LEAF but when I went to Michelins it cost me quite a bit on range. The Ecopias we very efficient but I would not put them on the RAV. You may ask a very experience person at Tire Rack but most of them do not drive EVs and tire ratings are mostly useless and there are fewer choices for an SUV.

A slight difference in economy on an ICE tire is much larger on an EV.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-advice-on-tires/low-rolling-resistance-tires-for-your-suv-we-have-options

I'd like to know what the best traction tire is I can put on the Rav4 EV that won't eat up too much range. The OEM tires have terrible traction, and I'm willing to sacrifice a little road noise and range to improve the tires' grip on the road. Any suggestions?

Back