Took the Rav to the Dragstrip.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman

Took my Rav4 to the dragstrip a couple of weeks ago just to see what it could do. Made four passes. The quickest was 15.33 secs at 89 mph for the 1/4 mile. Tried with and without traction control. Without traction control got too much wheel spin, even with new Continental Control tires. The 15.33 was with traction control on. If I could have gotten traction without traction control; on, say with slicks, a sub 15 second run would definitely be possible. That's pretty quick and faster than just about any stock SUV or pickup. A Chevy Silverado does approximately 16.7 to 16.8 secs in the 1/4 mile.

Just need to find a place for the rear spoiler - that should get us to sub 14

; - )

I took my 2013 "Toyesla" to Pacific Raceways and my best 1/4 mile time was 14.992 seconds with a top speed of 90.55 mph.

I'd never run the dragstrip before and didn't know what RT on the printout meant. Wish I had because my Reaction Time was pretty bad: .761 seconds. Shave some of that off my time and it would be just over 14 seconds!

Here are the full details:
R/T = .761 seconds
60' = 2.34 second
330' = 6.299 seconds
1/8 = 9.628 seconds and 73.53 mph
1000'=12.52 seconds
1/4 = 14.992 seconds
MPH = 90.55 mph

I was up against a Tesla P85: Look at HIS Reaction Time
R/T = .077seconds
60' = 2.104 seconds
330' = 5.749 seconds
1/8 = 8.8 seconds and 80.27 mph
1000'=11.448 seconds
1/4 = 13.692 seconds
MPH = 100.33 mph

It looked like he was a mile ahead in that first 3/4 of a second. He floored it before the Christmas tree lights got to GREEN. I waited......

I'd taken my 2 former cars to the drag strip (Pacific Raceways) long ago.
Larry_in_Seattle said:
I'd never run the dragstrip before and didn't know what RT on the printout meant. Wish I had because my Reaction Time was pretty bad: .761 seconds. Shave some of that off my time and it would be just over 14 seconds!

Here are the full details:
R/T = .761 seconds
60' = 2.34 second
330' = 6.299 seconds
1/8 = 9.628 seconds and 73.53 mph
1000'=12.52 seconds
1/4 = 14.992 seconds
MPH = 90.55 mph
It looked like he was a mile ahead in that first 3/4 of a second. He floored it before the Christmas tree lights got to GREEN. I waited......
The 1/4 mile time is not supposed to include the reaction time. Your reaction time should have no bearing on the 1/4 mile time. You could wait seconds and still have the same 1/4 mile time.

As for when to go... I was given the hint to go on the (middle of?) 2nd yellow light. That's what I do. Don't wait until green. You may need to adjust exactly when you go, a bit.

I've driven the Rav4 EV a bunch and yeah, there's the issue of traction and the front wheels breaking free easily. It being FWD makes things even worse. When I drag raced my former 255 hp FWD car (had no traction control), I got better times if I didn't floor it from the start. I got rolling then floored it. Unfortunately, that still might not help on the Rav, as I've easily spun its tires while moving.

When I drag raced my 287 hp RWD car, I had no such traction issues since the car squats and weight transfers to driving wheels during acceleration, instead of away from them.

And yep, you've discovered that a second in the quarter mile difference is fairly substantial. It's really substantial if your car is say 3 seconds faster in the 1/4.

The only time that would decrease the ET would be the portion above 0.5 seconds as that is the time between the last yellow and the green light. if you went faster than 0.5 seconds you would red light, which means you left before the green light. 14.99 seconds is pretty good. i was getting a lot of wheel spin, even with traction control on. Reaction time helps with heads up racing. If you get a 0.5 reaction time and the other car gets a 0.6 reaction time, you just got a 0.1 sec advantage.

VERY IMPRESSIVE for an BEV that weighs nearly 4000 pounds with FWD! Probably as fast (or faster) than any other SUV under 50K or V-6 gas powered truck or car.

4EVEREV said:
Note, the RAV has much more power at 100% charge. The power starts to drop even at higher SOC levels.

Yes, of course.

530 amps * 360 volts (voltage sag with full
charge 382 volts) = 190kW (255hp)

530 amps * 300 volts (low battery charge state) = 159kW (215hp)

So, up to 255hp can be pulled out of the battery, minus the losses from the three phase inverter, minus motor losses, and minus gear box losses equals the power at the wheels.

Back