Turning off backup beep, changing door unlock?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joyride

On my 2008 Prius I was able to turn off the annoying backup beep by using a sequence of steps involving the On/Off switch and the Trip Odometer button. Similarly, I was able to change the behavior of the keyless door unlock so that when I put my hand to the door handle, all doors unlocked instead of just the driver's side.

I would really like to make these changes on my Rav4 EV that I picked up last Sunday.

The manual lists these as customizable options on page 500, but indicates that the dealer needs to make the change. Has anyone figured out a way to do it without taking the car into the dealer?

Thanks,
-Chris

I took my rav4 in to the dealer today because of a rattle in the cargo area. I also asked them to change the reverse beep and the headlight time to zero after the doors are closed. They fixed everything except the headlight timer. They said that the only options available were 30, 60, and 90 seconds. Our manuals specifically say zero is available. Has anyone had theirs changed?

To go along with HD172 I was told by Toyota Corp that the back up beep had to be changed at the dealer with a computer. I don't know if that is totally true, but all I know now

I left my Rav4EV at the dealer this evening. They said that they could change the backup beep to just beep once, but they had to do it. I also asked about changing the door locks so that the driver's handle opens all the doors. While I watched he used my key to do it. While the car was locked, he pressed the lock and alarm buttons together and held them for eight seconds. The car beeped a few times and voila, it was done. I was told that its a toggle so doing it again just changes it back.

TonyWilliams said:
That procedure is in the owner's manual.

Huh. Well it is a big manual and while I read most of it, I didn't read every page. I did read the part where it says to go to the dealer to change the door lock behavior. If the manual also describes how to do it with the key, then I missed it.

I also missed the part that says how to mute the radio. I was annoyed that there wasn't a quick button to turn off the radio or mute it. But then I played around and found that a long press on the "Mode" button on the steering wheel mutes the radio. That is likely in the manual somewhere, but I didn't find it. I bet there's a bunch of other tricks that I will learn over time.

SeaMonster said:
I also missed the part that says how to mute the radio. I was annoyed that there wasn't a quick button to turn off the radio or mute it. But then I played around and found that a long press on the "Mode" button on the steering wheel mutes the radio. That is likely in the manual somewhere, but I didn't find it. I bet there's a bunch of other tricks that I will learn over time.

Color me illiterate, because I missed both of these excellent tips in the manual. I tried the unlock feature mentioned above and it works flawlessly. Thanks for posting.

I accidentally found that pressing the little "home" button below the display and holding it also turns off the display and the radio. I'll try the "mode" button next time as I would prefer not to turn everything off when trying to quickly mute the audio.

Has anyone figured out how to turn off the constant reverse beeping and change the headlights timer to zero without going to the dealership? Every other car I've owned has had these tricks in the manual. (It's usually something crazy like rolling down your window while holding your nose with your left hand then pressing the brake 5 times.)

Blastphemy said:
Has anyone figured out how to turn off the constant reverse beeping and change the headlights timer to zero without going to the dealership? Every other car I've owned has had these tricks in the manual. (It's usually something crazy like rolling down your window while holding your nose with your left hand then pressing the brake 5 times.)

Not that I'm aware of. Unless you want to open up the dash and disconnect the beeper. I am considering putting the beeper near the rear bumper (outside).

I'm going to be running a series of wires down the left side of the car to the rear. One twisted pair for pins 6 and 14 on the quasi-OBD-II Tesla connector (for a future dash mount "fuel % gauge"), one 14 gauge for the trailer lights (which will also power a future light at the fuel cap). So one more for this beeper won't be a problem.

Tony, I really like your idea of a light for the charger plug area. I first time I plugged my car in at night I thought the car should have come with that. Please keep us update of the project.

Bill

Blastphemy said:
Does that void your warranty?

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The only thing that will void your warranty would be if your modification damaged the part that is under warranty. Then, that won't be covered.

Nothing I've done to my car will "void" the warranty. If I cross a few wires and burn out a computer in the car, ya, I bought that one. If I drive the car into a wall, ya, I bought that, too.

The warranty isn't void, though. That would be illegal.

http://www.edmunds.com/auto-warranty/what-voids-your-vehicles-warranty.html

TonyWilliams said:
Blastphemy said:
I'm not sure what you're referring to.
When I owned an Infinti FX, I wanted to replace the side mirrors with ones that had turn signals built in. But the dealership told me that any rewiring of the car would void my warranty and any electrical defects discovered after such a modification would be my responsibility and not covered by the original warranty. Not sure if that was the truth, but I've always avoided making such modifications since then.

Blastphemy said:
TonyWilliams said:
Blastphemy said:
I'm not sure what you're referring to.
When I owned an Infinti FX, I wanted to replace the side mirrors with ones that had turn signals built in. But the dealership told me that any rewiring of the car would void my warranty and any electrical defects discovered after such a modification would be my responsibility and not covered by the original warranty. Not sure if that was the truth, but I've always avoided making such modifications since then.

Sure, if they could "blame it on you", I'm sure they will. They'll just collect money for the repair from you (because you believed them) and charge the manufacturer on the warranty.

Easy money for them.

Obviously, if you do modify anything on your purchased car, AND it has caused a warranty problem, yes, you bought that. Wiring the mirrors and then having an unrelated thing fail (the horn quit) would be covered, unless they could prove your mirrors burned out the horn.

There are actually federal laws prevent manufacturers from refusing warranty claims just because you modified your car.

Look up Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

According to the Report of the House of Representatives which accompanied the law (House Report No. 93-1197, 93d Cong 2d Sess.) the Magnuson-Moss act was enacted by Congress in response to the widespread misuse by merchants of express warranties and disclaimers. The legislative history indicates that the purpose of the Act is to make warranties on consumer products more readily understood and enforceable and to provide the Federal Trade Commission with means to better protect consumers.

The statute is remedial in nature and is intended to protect consumers from deceptive warranty practices. Consumer products are not required to have warranties, but if one is given, it must comply with the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Back