What AC input adapters needed for L1/L2 EVSE?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsinned

I don't think this subject has been discussed here, although there is a very good write up on the Tesla forum.

In all cases the female end of the adapter would be a NEMA 14-50R because that is the standard input plug used on my JuiceBox. I think the following five adapters would be the most useful, in order of preference, to have available for use on the road.

For 240V L2 charging (outlet rating):
1, NEMA 6-50P to 14-50R (50A)
2. NEMA 10-30P to 14-50R (30A)
3. NEMA L14-30P to 14-50R (30A)
4. NEMA 6-20P to 14-50R (20A)

For 120V L1 charging (outlet rating):
5. RVtype TT-30P to 14-50R (30A)
6. NEMA 5-20P to 14-50R (20A)

Dsinned said:
I don't think this subject has been discussed here, although there is a very good write up on the Tesla forum.

In all cases the female end of the adapter would be a NEMA 14-50R because that is the standard input plug used on my JuiceBox. I think the following five adapters would be the most useful, in order of preference, to have available for use on the road.

For 240V L2 charging (outlet rating):
1, NEMA 6-50P to 14-50R (50A)
2. NEMA 10-30P to 14-50R (30A)
3. NEMA 14L-30P to 14-50R (30A)
4. NEMA 6L-20P to 14-50R (20A)

For 120V L1 charging (outlet rating):
5. RVtype TT-30P to 14-50R (30A)
6. NEMA 5-20P to 14-50R (20A)

JELSA ships with NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 plugs, and the remainder are available. Unlike any other J1772 EVSE on the market, it will automatically selects the appropriate amperage for that receptacle. You don't need any adaptor, and you don't need to know anything about volts and amps.

.................................................VOLTS / AMPS.......kW
*NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner 120/16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
*NEMA 14-50......RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

I would recommend the following adaptors:

L5-20 (120 volt - 20 amp locking, typical generator)
L6-20 (240 volt - 20 amp locking, typical generator)
L6-30 (240 volt - 30 amp locking, typical generator)
L14-30 (120 / 240 volt - 20 amp locking, typical generator)
TT-30 (120 volt - 30 amp trailer park)
NEMA 6-50 (240 volt - 50 amp, welder)

Things that I carry in addition to all of the above:

CS-6365 (120 / 240 volt - 50 amp commercial, boat docks, construction sites, big generators)

Light bulb to NEMA 5-15 adaptor

Various circuit breakers with leads attached

Ground spoof for generators with NEMA 5-15 plug

Various extension cords (usually 50-100 feet)

J1772 to outlet adaptor (with resistors and diode to energize EVSE)

JLong J1772 extension cord, 40 feet

TonyWilliams said:
Things that I carry in addition to all of the above:

CS-6365 (120 / 240 volt - 50 amp commercial, boat docks, construction sites, big generators)
Various circuit breakers with leads attached
Ground spoof for generators with NEMA 5-15 plug
Various extension cords (usually 50-100 feet)
what awg do you suggest for that ? (the bigger the better I suggest)
Just curious what you have chosen.
J1772 to outlet adaptor (with resistors and diode to energize EVSE)
JLong J1772 extension cord, 40 feet
The reverse J1772 is a nice idea.
I am in the middle of making a Jlong from parts from you.
Wish I would have bought a ready made since the crimping is really a hassle (for me)
Figured out how to get the proximity signal through the switch, so a fun exercise none the less

What power do you pull over a 40' Jlong ?
I was under the impression that over 20' the 40amps should be de-rated ?

There comes a point where "carrying" so many things for every possible charging situation, is cumbersome and impractical. Being well prepared less expensively could be achieved just by careful pre-planning your trip and using a good RV Park Finder app, like "All Stay".

Nevertheless, it would be prudent to have some subset of input power adapters, extension cords, and/or various J1772 accessories, to be FULLY prepared, but certainly cheaper to make some of these items yourself. Adapters for EVSE use only, are considered "speciality items" and generally only sold by EVSE companies. However, they tend to be rather expensive. There is a cheaper alternative by making them yourself. Some "DIY" work may be necessary anyway, if you start by buying any of the commonly available adapters for RV Park use only, which then can be fairly easily modified for EVSE use. They cannot be used as-is to Plug-n-Play with an EVSE, because of internal wiring differences.

Using the NEMA 14-50 as the EVSE input standard, and the list above from my earlier post, none of these are currently available from online suppliers like Amazon or Ebay, prewired for EVSE applications. They are "physically" compatible in terms of mating with the NEMA 14-50P plug on the EVSE's input cord, but have incompatible internal wiring/connections with respect to the AC input power cords internal conductors "connections" from end to end. Most adapters sold "as-is" need to be rewired (internally, or reconnected on one end differently) to work with L2 EVSEs.

As such the following AC power cord component (Camco 55353, 50 AMP, Female, Replacement Receptacle) available from Amazon.com (~$15) is invaluable for modifying currently available RV adapters, known as "dogbones", typically 12-18" long. Specifically, those with a TT-50 (NEMA 14-50R) on one end (that can be cut off a "molded" cord and replaced with this DIY item) is what you will need.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55343-F...im_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1X4WDTJG2NXFHF0WE4Q2

This component can be used to modify an existing dogbone to make almost any combination of male to female adapter, which then can be used with your EVSE to plug in to different types of 240V (or 120V) AC outlets.

fromport said:
The reverse J1772 is a nice idea.
I am in the middle of making a Jlong from parts from you.
Wish I would have bought a ready made since the crimping is really a hassle (for me)

We will being out a new product next month called "JDapter" that will be the "reverse" J1772. It will have numerous output options, and like our JLong handle, it will be built with 6061-T6 aluminum alloy.

We can probably make you a deal on a ready-made JLong... drop an email to my brother at sales (aught) quickchargepower.com and tell him the issues you're having.

What power do you pull over a 40' Jlong ?
I was under the impression that over 20' the 40amps should be de-rated ?

Well, the reality is that it should be de-rated, but I've run 40 feet at 40 amps for hours. The JESLA got hotter than the JLong. So, officially, 20 feet is 40 amps MAX, and drop 1 amp per 2 feet so that 40 feet is 30 amps.

It's fun collecting all bits to prevent the possibility of getting stranded, and even more fun when you can pull out just the perfect thing to charge your car anywhere.

TonyWilliams said:
It's fun collecting all bits to prevent the possibility of getting stranded, and even more fun when you can pull out just the perfect thing to charge your car anywhere.
Opportunity charging at a friend or relative's house is also high on my list, so I tend to agree. This weekend I spent several hours adding to my own selection of L2 EVSE AC adapters. Total estimated cost was about $100 in electrical supplies after an outright purchase ($49) for the first item listed below, which I have already used numerous times to courtesy charge from an old style electric dryer outlet. In addition, I now have the means to connect my JuiceBox to any of the following AC outlets:

10-30R (240V/30A, Old style drier outlet)
6-50R (240V/50A, Welding outlet)
6-20R (240V/20A, Motel A/C outlet)
TT-30R (120V/30A, RV Park outlet)
L14-30R (120/30A or 240V/15A, Portable generator selectable outlet)

One thing I didn't see mentioned yet is a 120 to 240v adapter, e.g. a quick220 or similar. You're much more likely to find two 120v outlets on different legs to get 240v than you are to find a 240v outlet for most situations where you'd be charging at a friend's, vacation rental, or other private residence.
TonyWilliams said:
:lol: I love this one. I actually carry one of these too, but we're talking big time desperation if you ever need to use this. I think the one I found states "900W max" on it, and of course there's no ground slot so you'd have to find another way to ground or spoof it like you would with a generator. Have you ever actually had to use the light bulb socket method Tony?

fooljoe said:
One thing I didn't see mentioned yet is a 120 to 240v adapter, e.g. a quick220 or similar. You're much more likely to find two 120v outlets on different legs to get 240v than you are to find a 240v outlet for most situations where you'd be charging at a friend's, vacation rental, or other private residence.
TonyWilliams said:
:lol: I love this one. I actually carry one of these too, but we're talking big time desperation if you ever need to use this. I think the one I found states "900W max" on it, and of course there's no ground slot so you'd have to find another way to ground or spoof it like you would with a generator. Have you ever actually had to use the light bulb socket method Tony?

Well, of course, I have a homemade "Quick 220", also.

I have never actually used the light bulb one, so I suspect it would require a ground. Mine has a pigtail wire for ground.

My EVSEupgrade 2013 Nissan LEAF / Panasonic unit is programmable down to 6amps, and I definitely used that !!! Yes, I was desperate, and kept tripping the breaker at anything above 6.

So when attempting to use a JESLA to charge from a 240V/20A circuit which adapter should be used on the JESLA? I know the JESLA has options for 50A and 30A at 240 V and 20A and 15A at 120V, but nothing lower than 30A at 240V.

swogee said:
So when attempting to use a JESLA to charge from a 240V/20A circuit which adapter should be used on the JESLA? I know the JESLA has options for 50A and 30A at 240 V and 20A and 15A at 120V, but nothing lower than 30A at 240V.
There is a Tesla 5-20 adapter that is normally used for a circuit with a 120V 20A breaker so that the Jesla will signal 16A charging. You can make your own adapter from 5-20 to 6-20 (240V 20A) so you can use that circuit. You didn't mention what socket is on that circuit though.

swogee said:
The Tesla adapters only signal amperage, not voltage, plug configuration notwithstanding, so you can make any adapter you want going from the Tesla adapter's plug to any 120v/240v outlet. It's not ideal (especially in the case of making an adapter that would allow a 120v device to be plugged into a 240v outlet), but it'll get the job done.

One thing to note is that for whatever reason Tesla states that its 5-20 adapter only allows 15A charging instead of the expected 16A. Not sure why they'd do that, but I guess you're out of luck for that 1 amp.

swogee said:

Here's what the adaptors actually are:

JELSA ships with NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 plugs. Additionally, you may want to buy the correct plug for your dryer (handy for visiting friends or relatives at their house) or for motel air conditioners:

......................................................VOLTS / AMPS.......kW
*NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner 120/16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
*NEMA 14-50......RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=adapter

Yes, I have built adaptors to use the 120 volt NEMA 5-20 plug on a 240 volt L6-20 or L6-30.

Just label it, and/or put a lock on it in some way so that the wrong person doesn't grab it for a strictly 120 volt product (that will get fried / cause a fire / etc).

imagejpg2.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
Yes, I have built adaptors to use the 120 volt NEMA 5-20 plug on a 240 volt L6-20 or L6-30.

Just label it, and/or put a lock on it in some way so that the wrong person doesn't grab it for a strictly 120 volt product (that will get fried / cause a fire / etc).

How does the Jesla "measure" the resistor that determines the amps drawn ? between one of the lines and ground I assume ?

fromport said:
TonyWilliams said:

How does the Jesla "measure" the resistor that determines the amps drawn ? between one of the lines and ground I assume ?

Between ground and the dedicated fourth pin in the plug:

Pin 1 - HOT (Line 1)
Pin 2 - Neutral / HOT (Line 2)
Pin 3 - Ground
Pin 4 - Resistor to ground

Tony, instead of TESLA's optional 5-20p adapter, wouldn't it be much cheaper to use one of these 125V/20A jumper cords (see photo below, available from Amazon, $15) to convert from a 5-20r outlet to 5-15r/5-20r, so you could plug in TESLA's standard "115V" AC adapter? This way, the user would still have the built-in "resistor" mod needed to automate the voltage/current limiter setting in the JESLA, but save $35.

41X0Hg50GzL.jpg

Dsinned said:
Tony, instead of TESLA's optional 5-20p adapter, wouldn't it be much cheaper to use one of these 125V/20A jumper cords (see photo below, available from Amazon, $15) to convert from a 5-20r outlet to 5-15r/5-20r, so you could plug in TESLA's standard "115V" AC adapter? This way, the user would still have the built-in "resistor" mod needed to automate the voltage/current limiter setting in the JESLA, but save $35.
The problem with this approach is that you'd get charging limited to 12A and not the 16A that would be possible on the Tesla 5-20p adapter. The more I use a portable EVSE, the more I realize the limitations of the Tesla UMC conversion.

Why? That particular jumper cordset with 5-"20" NEMA rated plug ends is rated for 20A, as is TESLA's 5-20 adapter. This cord has 12AWG internal conductors, so I believe it would be acceptable to use with a JESLA up to 16A continuously. Here's the link to the online description on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/NEMA-5-20P-5-15-Adapter-Power/dp/B00DMI5J76/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_5

What is potentially confusing to me is the similarities between the 5-20r/p and 6-20r/p NEMA standard. They are rated 20A each, but at 125V and 250V respectively. Their faces are "reversed" with respect to hot and neutral connections, but still require perpendicular blades. The reversed blades prevent them from being interchangeable for obvious electrical safety reasons.

Dsinned said:
Why? That particular jumper cordset with 5-"20" NEMA rated plug ends is rated for 20A, as is TESLA's 5-20 adapter. This cord has 12AWG internal conductors, so I believe it would be acceptable to use with a JESLA up to 16A continuously. Here's the link to the online description on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/NEMA-5-20P-5-15-Adapter-Power/dp/B00DMI5J76/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_5
As far as I can tell, that cord is nearly useless. Almost all 5-20R in the field can also take a 5-15 plug just like the receptacle end of the cord. If you use the Tesla 5-15 adapter, it will signal 12A. If you use the Tesla 5-20 adapter it will signal 16A. If you put that cord in front of a Jesla, it would just be an extension cord, no matter which Tesla adapter you used.

Okay, gotcha. It's "useless" only because of the resistor mod in the TESLA 5-15 adapter limiting EVSE current to 12A. Bummer! If you had opportunity charging access to a 5-20R outlet (apparently used in some Motel rooms for small A/C units), and were content to charge at 115V/12A, it might still come in handy for only 15 bucks.

Frankly, the more I learn about these highly specialized TESLA adapters, the more I don't like them. At $50 a piece, they are simply too expensive for my money, but I guess that fits in well with the lofty price tag for a TESLA Model S.

Back