What AC input adapters needed for L1/L2 EVSE?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dsinned said:
Frankly, the more I learn about these highly specialized TESLA adapters, the more I don't like them. At $50 a piece, they are simply too expensive for my money, but I guess that fits in well with the lofty price tag for a TESLA Model S.
Honestly, it's not a great system, but it's practically the only way to make an idiot-proof system. I can't think of another way to force the mechanically unique indication of circuit capacity of each plug type to control the allowable current through the EVSE. Clearly, an EVSE with user adjustable current and mechanical plug adapters is cheaper and more flexible, but that can't prevent someone from overloading a circuit and causing a fire when there is a malfunctioning circuit breaker. This is what it has come to in our litigious society.

miimura said:
... user adjustable current and mechanical plug adapters is cheaper and more flexible, but that can't prevent someone from overloading a circuit and causing a fire when there is a malfunctioning circuit breaker. This is what it has come to in our litigious society.

I can't hand my wife, mother, or daughter a "user adjustable" EVSE. Instant fail.

Fortunately, the vast majority of "portable" EVSEs are in the form of OEM equipment that came with the car, and therefore already restricted to the lowest common denominator of 115V at 12A. Big car companies probably intentionally avoid L2 EVSEs as standard equipment for the very reason of idiot proofing for safety sake. But, talk about "useless" . . . who in their right mind would hook up the RAV4 EV's standard OEM charge cord only to be able to recharge at such a snail's pace? That would be the equivalent of taking a whole hour or longer to refill the average ICE car's gas tank at the pump. Frankly, such horribly slow charging rates - as auto industry's defacto standard - are giving ALL EVs a bad reputation.

I kind of like the way the JuiceBox manages the issue of current limiting. Both 120V and 240V (and potentially 208V) defaults are set in firmware, but they can be changed "on the fly" with the LCD and key fob option. "If" someone else is driving my EV, they can only recharge per those default limitations (which can be preset to 12A and 24A respectively). Unless, I gave the driver my JB key fob, they simply do not have the ability to override the default. However, for all intent and purpose, NOBODY ELSE BUT ME will have access to my JuiceBox EVSE anyway, especially for "portable" use, so the only other way to recharge is at a Public Charging Station, or at 115V with the OEM charge cord ALWAYS kept with the car. Probably solved! :mrgreen:

rickrides said:
Am I getting 9.9kw to my car with my jesla plugged into a 14-50 outlet with 248 volts? PG&E has recently raised my voltage.
Call them, they may be able to adjust voltage at your house.

srl99 said:
rickrides said:
Am I getting 9.9kw to my car with my jesla plugged into a 14-50 outlet with 248 volts? PG&E has recently raised my voltage.

There is a 5% tolerance in each direction so it is within spec. I have seen much higher than that and they won't do a thing.

4EVEREV said:
srl99 said:
rickrides said:

There is a 5% tolerance in each direction so it is within spec. I have seen much higher than that and they won't do a thing.

It should be 10%... 240 volt, max 264 volt.

Back