What tire pressure?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moderate

When I took delivery of my RAV4, all tires were inflated to 36 psi.
When I look at the placard on the driver's side, it says all tires should be @ 32 psi.
Which is it? Or, neither (something else)?

Thanks,
Matthew

moderate said:
When I took delivery of my RAV4, all tires were inflated to 36 psi.
When I look at the placard on the driver's side, it says all tires should be @ 32 psi.
Which is it? Or, neither (something else)?

Thanks,
Matthew

I think the tires are maximum rated at 51 or 52 psi, so anything between 32 and 52 is "legit", but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable at 32 for safety.

Lower tire pressure will make hard surface road travel smoother, and traction in sand / loss rocks better. Stability may suffer as will tread life and economy / range autonomy.

I run mine at 45-50 psi.

Just checked - Tires (OEM on 2012, probably the same on all) are rated 280 - B - A
280 is, as mentioned earlier, kind of low but in keeping with other LRR tires.
That said, I'm not certain these would be rated LRR. One more thing to look up, if possible, since rolling resistance isn't as well defined as other attributes.
'B' traction is not a surprise - they're too easy to break loose, and I will assuredly look for 'A' when the time comes.
'A' temperature is a pleasant surprise, particularly for a 'trucklet' tire, where that score is harder to find.
Maximum pressure (cold, as all are rated) is 44 psi -- not outstandingly high, but better than many.
Bottom line - for best mi/Kwh you'll want to run as high as you're comfortable up to 44, also paying attention and dropping down if center-tread wear becomes evident.
Not enough data out there yet to 'settle' on what's ideal for this chassis, but it seems the 36 set by the OP's dealer is assuredly not a 'bad' value to start with.
Pete

Back