WHY SHOULD I RENEW MY SAFTEY CONNECT?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry_in_Seattle said:
Went to install Waze but it seems too intrusive. The permissions required:
Identity -why does it need my profile data? [/qoute]
To know your phone number, it needs it to verify you are you,
It will send a txt message to phone to verify.
No login needed.
Calendar - why does it need this?
It can warn you "leave now to make it on time to your meeting"
Contacts - WTF???? A traffic app doesn't need my contact list!
destination address can be just "john" and it will now where to go if you entered the address.
Location - Obviously
SMS - to send traffic messages, OK
Photos/Media/Files - ??? Not sure why it needs access to my files, and which files? Edit capability? Delete? view?
When you arrive it will ask you to take picture, optional
But you could decorate it for next time
Camera - pictures of blocks, accidents, issues...OK I guess...
Microphone- Not sure why?
voice recognition, while driving/
Device ID & Call - OK, I guess, to be able to send those SMS texts....

But I don't like giving all my contacts to some app that's only there to help me navigate traffic.

You are sure missing out on something.
I was coming back on the I5, late at night and "she" (lady in the phone) suddenly guided me of the highway, onto the parallel road.
The I5 was brought back to 1 lane, and limited to 30mph. I bypassed hundreds of cars doing 55 and knew exactly where to get me on I5 again.
I was very impressed.

I know this is an old thread but I am hoping someone can help me troubleshoot my entune/safety connect.

After my lease was up I let my subscription expire. I extended my lease and now that winter is here I would like to use the charging and remote climate features of the entune app.

I resubscribed but its not working. I cant be the only one to have renewed, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Got it!

Instructions on how to renew your Entune/Safety Connect subscription.

1. Download the Entune app for your phone. There are 3 versions currently on ios. Its the first one. Not the version 3.0 option, that doesn't apply to our cars.
2. If you currently do not have Safety Connect subscription the app will give you a pop up prompting to call to renew. I haven't found this number other places including any toyota or SC website so thats why you need to dl the app first.
3. Call the number, subscribe, and pay them. MAKE SURE YOU ASK FOR YOUR CONTRACT ID#. WRITE IT DOWN AND SAVE IT! YOU WILL NEED IT AND NO ONE TOLD ME THE NUMBER OR THAT I WOULD NEED IT.
4. You will receive a confirmation email. If you dont already have an entune account, registered one.
5. Log into entune by going to myentune.com
6. It will ask you for your contract ID#. I believe its on a tab called Plug in/ev-apps. Enter your safety connect contract id#
7. Go out to your car, start it, and press your SOS button above your mirror. It will say that you are not currently connected and says press again within 5 seconds to connect. Do it.
8. Nothing happened for about 30 seconds after pressing the button. Then suddenly it said connected. I then pressed the button again to confirm and it DID connect me to a representative. She confirmed that my car was indeed connected to the SC network. After 4 phone calls and 2 hours of being on the phone with toyota and safety connect, none of them told me about this step.
9. Go back to the app and check your vehicle's location. If it works, then you are connected to your car.

We all know that the Entune app is pretty bad. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. After following all of these steps and finally getting everything connected, the app failed 3 times to remote start my car. But it finally got it on the 4th try.

Hopefully this will save you guys time if you decide to renew your entune/SC subscription.

I was thinking of renewing. Mine expired and I do miss the remote Heat/Cool feature.

I followed the link provided earlier in this thread.
https://www.toyota.com/safety-connect/#Subscription

On this page the annual is listed at $80. I know it was $140.

Have they lowered the price, or am I looking at the wrong renewal? At $80 I am willing to do a multi year renewal.

I called the number to hopefully get more info but they are closed today for the Holidays, day after Thanksgiving.

Will try again tomorrow or Monday.

Yes they lowered the price. You can pay monthly if you only want it for the summer or winter. I am paying $8 a month. I think that is pretty fair.

Back