New electric motor wait time

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie1600

It looks like Toyota will replace my motor that is louder than the one in my Leaf. How long should I expect the wait to be?

well it depends on where you are i suspect.

In my case, i had this done and it was about 6 days after they ordered the part when it came in and i took the vehicle in and they replaced it in 5 hours. That was at Magnussen Toyota of Palo Alto.

Took mine about a week. Make sure they let you keep the car while you wait for it, unless you've got a rare dealer that gives you a loaner Rav, of course.

Took mine in last week with 59,200 miles on it because it was much louder than when I first got it. The motor took a week to come in. I will schedule for next Monday or Tuesday to have it installed.

Bassman said:
Took mine in last week with 59,200 miles on it because it was much louder than when I first got it. The motor took a week to come in. I will schedule for next Monday or Tuesday to have it installed.
That is a 60,000 warranty yes? Your timing is perfect.

Anyone know the warranty on the replacement unit?

I just picked up mine.. dead quiet and super smooth! Like butta and new! :cool:

I asked the service mgr and he said all work done under "Toyota Care/warranty is for the full life of the warranty of the vehicle"

They also updated my FW..

98dc144d2dd9e5993e8255b7ccbb03e6.jpg

got mine too, i also saw the motor up close as the guy had to ship it back to tesla in the crate. The new motor is so quiet, it only makes noise at WOT. At part throttle, no more whiney noise

Bassman said:
Got my car back yesterday. Night and Day difference. Super quiet now, just road and wind noise pretty much. :D

You guys make me jealous.
I have 2 rav4ev's
My wife's is dead quiet, mine is making that whining noise at 25mph and up.
It bugs the h*ll out of me but according to the people at toyota, it's still "within specs"

What could I do to make the sound worse (except drive it many many miles ) ? :twisted:

fromport said:
It bugs the h*ll out of me but according to the people at toyota, it's still "within specs"

What could I do to make the sound worse (except drive it many many miles ) ? :twisted:

I wonder what the "specs" actually are. A certain dB? A certain frequency? Both?

Mine is not quiet, but not annoying enough to be able to contact Toyota yet. I, like you, would rather just get it over with rather than listen to the whine get slowly louder over the miles.

Kohler Controller said:
I wonder what the "specs" actually are. A certain dB? A certain frequency? Both?

Mine is not quiet, but not annoying enough to be able to contact Toyota yet. I, like you, would rather just get it over with rather than listen to the whine get slowly louder over the miles.

Mine started at about 2500 miles, had it checked at first 5K service.
People from Toyota came, test drove it and verbally said " we will exchange"
When I called dealer to confirm date they changed their mind "within specs"
10K service was performed at Carson, took an extra test drive with the service manager.
He said "this is a quiet one compared to what I've driven" :-(
He knows it eventually has to be changed, but he says toyota/tesla won't okay it under current noise levels.

I don't call this customer service though...

So does anyone know the reason for the the wining noise? I was thinking it was caused by the reduction gear and not the motor. If true, would this be more of an annoyance than a serious eventual breakdown problem? I would think everyone would have some degree of this noise, correct?

thanks

We need to set up a meeting where we can compare and let some that have had the change listen to the rest for judgement.
Mine makes some gear/motor noise. More at low speed lately. The low level howl at 45-50 mph seems to be less lately.

Back