miimura

Re: Introducing OVMS for RAV4 EV

I don't see any utility in bringing out the Ethernet from the Gateway. My understanding is that everything on there is also on the CAN buses. The only utility is if you want to remote connect with "our friend in Ukraine".

I don't completely discount the need for termination since I occasionally see some slight weirdness in my keyless entry when anything is plugged into the Toyota bus. However, the stub going to the OVMS is only a couple inches long. I may look at it with an oscilloscope if there are accessible probe points on the OVMS board. There is also a metal "saddle" that nicely supports the OVMS box next to the Gateway.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)
asavage

I'd like to eventually get Tesla Powertrain Diagnostics working -- my cracked copy says it's licensed, but will not talk to the Gateway via my cable, and I've checked that cable a dozen times, can read the Gateway's MAC on my diag. laptop using it, so I'm at a standstill -- and while I can jack into the DLC3-2 connector, i think there's utility to be had in using a dedicated 8P8C port. But, yeah, it's not necessary.

The twisted pair twist spacing on run-of-the-mill LAN cabling is optimized for ethernet frequencies, but I assume it's adequate for CAN bus use. Certainly, I've enough of it laying around, probably still have 1/3 of a 500' spool kicking around somewhere, I ran a lot of hardwire in this house.

(KiCad is giving me fits today, really bumming me out with their install script problems and packaging errors
later: got it. Uninstalling doesn't wipe ~/.config/kicad , whick keeps track of the symbols library. Ugh. Every reinstall gave the same errors, because the installer made assumptions.)
Last edited by asavage on Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al Savage
2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEV-SE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
2018 Model 3 LR AWD, blue. 9.6kw solar
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org
dfergenson

alflash has a cable specification that he regularly uses to perform remote diagnostics. It's pretty simple and if you're reading the MAC address then I suspect that you already have one that should work. But if you want to test it, you can contact him via his website, alflash.com.ua
asavage

I built the cable using Vlad's wiring diagram:

Even though he's got RX<->RX and TX<->TX, which is not a good look, modern ethernet hardware drivers do RX/TX swap on-the-fly, so it works for us -- I'm old enough to have had to deal with dedicated or manually switched LAN ports on routing equipment. But, yeah, I can read the Gateway's MAC, so my cable's working. I'm thinking I've got a bad crack, but these things happen, and getting it sorted hasn't been at the top of my list for a while.

[later]
I was able to get TPD working. It was a software problem, not the cable.
Regards,
Al Savage
2014 Rav4 EV, Shoreline Blue Pearl, #2609, first use 04Jun2014, 49k miles (Aug2017), OpenEV-SE 40A. First DU replacement May2018 59k.
asavage

My parts won't arrive until Thursday night, so . . . first pass at a wiring diagram. I should've used a different tool, and I'm not 100% happy with the rendering, but it's a first attempt.

I like this kind of visual guide when building harnesses; other harness builders use different methods.

Click on the image to get a larger, more detailed version, but be patient: it'll take a while to load.

Older version(s):
04May2022
04May2022
04May2022
04May2022
03May2022
29Apr2022
29Apr2022

---

Matt, I'll be interested in a one-box build of this, with the optional 8P8C jack, should you get enough interest. I'll build this with discrete parts, tape, and epoxy, for a working interface, but long-term this should all be in a box with a short cable to the Gateway, and possibly another short cable to the OVMS (or a DE9 for a user-selectable-length cable to the OVMS).
Last edited by asavage on Sun May 08, 2022 6:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
Regards,
Al Savage
miimura

I think you have the Ethernet connected to the wrong side. My understanding is that the Ethernet is coming out of the gateway on its way to the blue DLC3 connector. I think if you wire it as shown, there won't be any link, you will just be wired to the normally empty blue DLC3 connector.
2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)
hokiematt

Al- I am interpreting your description of the connector (-9201) that plugs into the harness "from the wire side" to mean looking at the back side of the connector where you will solder leads to; if that's the case, then your pin numbers needed to be mirrored to match the gateway connector (which appears correct, assuming the leads are coming out of the screen). Presently the pin numbers on -9201 as shown are correct only when viewing the connector from the front, looking down at the male mating pins (tiny pins numbers stamped in the plastic are visible in this view).

Also, Mike is correct about needing to move the Ethernet cable over to the gateway connector.
asavage

Good catch, Mike! Yeah, connecting the LAN jack to the Toyota's harness wouldn't likely get me very far.

Good catch, Matt! I'm used to seeing the mfgr's pin numbering on the back of the shell, and for some reason I got stuck on those drawings being the rear, not the mating side. It doesn't help that Molex gives pages of tables of specs but won't annotate the line drawings. I'm sure people who do this a lot more than I "just know" which end is up.

Scroll back and take a look at the image again; I've updated it. I've also provided a link to the previous one.
Regards,
Al Savage
hokiematt

Almost there, Al: the -0201 connector was correct originally, as its view/pin numbering is from the back/wire side.
asavage

Thanks! Fixed. Also fixed was a missing TX- wire that was somehow deleted during previous editing.

Ugh. How do you know these things? I can't tell visually, and I've read hundreds of drawings and got paid to do it ;)
Regards,
Al Savage

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”