ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely hear the "clunk" after taking my foot off the pedal. Most pronounced when accelerating from a stop but I cm still hear it faintly on subsequent acceleration.

The clunk is louder on some days then others. Not sure what is causing that.

Out of State drive unit replacement update:

I just received an email from the Field Product Engineer that the replacement drive unit has arrived at Toyota of Morristown, NJ
He said the repair will take about a day and a half. Will drop my car off this Thursday morning.

Dropped the car off this morning for the motor swap, 2 techs were sent in to do the job. The same person that did my firmware/software updates last year and a new person (with strong Japanese accent)
They tell me the car will be ready tomorrow. A loaner (Prius V) was given to me at no charge.

Airton said:
Dropped the car off this morning for the motor swap, 2 techs were sent in to do the job. The same person that did my firmware/software updates last year and a new person (with strong Japanese accent)
They tell me the car will be ready tomorrow. A loaner (Prius V) was given to me at no charge.
Dropped it off as well this morning for drive train swap.
My dealer tells me it will take up to a WEEK (from his experience).
They have 2 certified EV techies at the dealer ship.
Got a gasoline 2015 rav4 as a loaner (no charge)
I really much rather drive my EV than the 2015 model, and it is not about ev vs gasoline.

Here are a few images from the transplant (still happening) guess I'll find out tomorrow how things are processing.
That's supposedly the remanufactured replacement in the crate, the clean one in the car is the bad hummer.

image.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Airton said:
Here are a few images from the transplant (still happening) guess I'll find out tomorrow how things are processing.
That's supposedly the remanufactured replacement in the crate, the clean one in the car is the bad hummer.

Thanks for the great pictures!

Were you allowed to take those ?

They shield me like mad when I try and look inside where they are working on cars.
Like it is top secret stuff they are doing :-(

fromport said:
Airton said:

Thanks for the great pictures!

Were you allowed to take those ?

They shield me like mad when I try and look inside where they are working on cars.
Like it is top secret stuff they are doing :-(

Sure, I don't see why they won't let you have a look at the drive train? I mean anyone can see it underneath the car by simply removing the plastic cover, nothing worth hiding.

and I just revived a call from Toyota of Morristown to tell me that my car is ready for pickup!
Wow, they did the replacement and test drove the car in 1 day, off I go to get it...

fromport said:
Dropped it off as well this morning for drive train swap.
My dealer tells me it will take up to a WEEK
They have 2 certified EV techies at the dealer ship.
Got a gasoline 2015 rav4 as a loaner (no charge)
I really much rather drive my EV than the 2015 model, and it is not about ev vs gasoline.
WTF a week? It's a 1 to 2 day deal at best!

What place what this again? All the local places around here have an EV loaner available.

Got my car back and did a 40 mile highway/city drive, I am one satisfied customer today it's silent again.
When I say silent I mean no gear/bearing humming sound just the slight smooth whining of the electric motor (the norm for all EVs)

Thanks Toyota,
Airton Azevedo

Airton said:
When I say silent I mean no gear/bearing humming sound just the slight smooth whining of the electric motor (the norm for all EVs)
My LEAF did not even have that slight smooth whining motor.
The LEAF moved forward as if pushed by an invisible hand.
Just some road noise from the tires.

JasonA said:
WTF a week? It's a 1 to 2 day deal at best!

What place what this again? All the local places around here have an EV loaner available.

DCH Toyota of Oxnard.
Only 7 miles from my home vs 68 miles to Carson where I bought mine.

There is a trade off for convenience.

I "ping" my car every hour.
After 10:36am the day I brought it in, it wouldn't ping till 6PM
So I was under the impression they had replaced the motor already.
Next day (friday) I called them around 4pm to ask about status: "not done yet, will call you"
Range had gone down about 6 miles, seems like a test ride.

TonyWilliams said:
I'm going to take #1134 in for motor number 2.

#2496 is in the shop getting a new charger.

#3021 is in the shop for an oil leak.

It's a trifecta !!!

Hey who knows, you may windup getting my drive unit (after it's rebuilt) it's probably on it's way back to the left coast as I post this.

I took our 2013 (#2288) in for the 10K service last week. I had informed the service department when I made the appointment that it was much louder than our 2014 that we bought in December and needed to be evaluated for a traction motor replacement. When I got there the service advisor said they would need the car for two days to "look at the motor". I suggested that since I had already told them about the issue when I made the appointment that I intended to wait since it could not possibly take two days to take a test drive and make an audio file. He said he would call the EV tech and see if they could fit it in that day. The tech showed up within 10 minutes and we took a test drive. I told him I had a 2014 that was much quieter and that I had researched the issue on this forum and that it appeared almost all the early traction motors are developing the loud hum. He agreed that it was hard to argue the car was in normal specs when I had two to compare. After the short test drive he indicated he would get his foreman's phone so he could record an audio file to send to Toyota. About an hour later the service advisor came to find me in the waiting room to inform me Toyota had authorized the replacement. Of course they have no idea how long it will take for the replacement to get there, but the 10K service and "motor evaluation" took only 3 hours not 2 days.
In fairness, I did see at least 5 RAV4evs in the service lot, so their 2 EV techs were quite busy that day. Hopefully our 2014 (#3537) won't develop the hum, but we shall see. It makes me nervous that several owners have had more than one replacement. Have they solved the problem or not........? I also hope they fix the sensor issue that is part of the recall at the same time. All in all we really enjoy the Rav4's. Right now I intend to buy both of them when they come off lease, but if there are too many problems problems who knows?

Airton, given the timing I may be the one to get your original drive unit....

kdd3300 said:
I took our 2013 (#2288) in for the 10K service last week. I had informed the service department when I made the appointment that it was much louder than our 2014
Hopefully our 2014 (#3537) won't develop the hum, but we shall see. It makes me nervous that several owners have had more than one replacement. Have they solved the problem or not........
Who knows?

Seems like Model S owners continue to get drive units replaced. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/46047-Drive-Unit-failure-symptoms-and-thresholds-for-replacement/page6?p=982006&viewfull=1#post982006 is fairly recent.

Also, the noisy motor doesn't seem to impact performance or range - it's just noise, so worst case scenario you have a car that is still quieter than an ICE.

DevinL said:
Also, the noisy motor doesn't seem to impact performance or range - it's just noise, so worst case scenario you have a car that is still quieter than an ICE.

I believe there's also a slight vibration that comes along with the noise but I agree it's still nothing compared to a ICE vehicle, boy we (EV owners) are so spoiled!

fromport said:
My dealer tells me it will take up to a WEEK (from his experience).
Technically my car was done after 2 works days (thursday & friday)
But there was a problem with software update and renewal of the key to operate the tesla software thingie.
The technician had a day off on Monday so got my car back on Tuesday.
Took a test drive and it sounded okay.
Only at home I took a look at the paper I signed and found that there is/was an issue with thread on my subframe:
http://www2.dth.net/rav4ev/repairs/20150505_newmotor.pdf

On the way back home I found that there was an extra sound that I hadn't heard prior in this car of my wife's rav4ev.
I took it for a long drive today on the I5 north, going up the grapevine (3200' climb)
And I now have a new sound when going faster than 55 mph, uphill only (so under load)
And when I just barely rotate my steering wheel I feel a vibration . both left and right direction.
This leads me to believe there is a problem with the differential .
I will go to the local dealer tomorrow again and ask them what they think.
I say: time for another drive train exchange: 250 after my first one.
Will report as soon as I know more.
<SIGH>

Back