ALL POSTS - motor whine or "HUM" (Milling Sound)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've enjoyed reading many post on this website and had not joined until now. I leased a 2014 RavEV, VIN 2704, last May 2014. Ive had a great experience and enjoy driving me EV daily. I had only Experienced a few issues with it. One was the "gas" or plug indoor would not open, the second was dreaded EV service alarm and last but not least, a slight "hum"noise. Yesterday my EV failed at 20,403 miles. Everything was normal on my drive home. As I got closer to home, I exited the freeway and came to a stop. I tried to go once the light turned green and the EV would not move. The EV service alarm came on. Turned it on and off a few times and nothing. Put it in reverse and it moved a few inches and then I also got an ABS Alarm and it stopped completely. Tried to put it in drive and no movement. It seemed to be locked between forward and reverse but wouldnt move in either direction. I used AAA to tow it as they were going to charge me for extra miles if i used the toyota roadside service, as the Claremont toyota was closer and thats where they would tow me........not to mention a 1.5 to 2 hour wait. AAA took half an hour......So I had it towed to Crown Toyota as that's were I get it serviced. Today I contacted their service dept to see how things were going and they were still trouble shooting. I was told the did a software update and they were test driving. Later on I was contacted and told I need a new drive train and it will be replaced. They need to get one from Tesla, so it looks like ill get the car back next week. Just wanted to share my experience with all of you. Ill post more info once I get it back.

well an update on mine:

I had my motor replaced due to the Hum at 24K miles. I just pased 34K so about 10K on the new motor, and no hum. (my new motor is actually a very old motor based on comparing the ID #s). However i'm sure my old motor was a lot louder than this by 10K miles on the vehicle (the first time i took it into the dealer and logged the hum issue was 15K miles but it took me 2 more services to find a dealer that would actually replace it).

After being denied several times for a new motor, and having to put up with a annoying loud whine that turned pedestrians heads every time I drove the car by them, and making audio files of what baseline was compared to my car, and Toyota's inability to produce a "baseline noise level" to compare to, my new motor is finally here ... Wohoo ....

They will be replacing the motor, along with a new ECU gateway, as I was told the new gateway is needed to support the new motor .... (this will be my second gateway, as it was already replaced because of all of the "check EV system" alerts I was getting prior to the replacement.

Can't wait till I go back to a quiet car again ...

My second rav4ev (vin 3533) with 3750 miles on the odometer now also has developed a sound, specifically when regenerative braking is taking place.
Just like someone flipped a switch, a loud vibration and rumble kicked in.

I would like to contact all people who currently have wine/vibration/sound or other parts (like chargers) that aren't working reliable.
I would like to put our efforts together and contact Toyota on behalf of a group of people.
I think they will be more open to a dialog than individuals through a dealer ship.

Please contact me by email : fromport [at] gmail and I will share some information.

I just had my motor replaced and picked my RAV up today after work. I took it to my local toyota dealer on May 13th for the clunking noise. They confirmed it was noisy and had to make a recording of the clunking for corporate to review. Corporate agreed to replace the motor, it only took over 3 months but it is finally done. I had talked to Kevin Spillane about it and he thinks that I fell thru the cracks because it shouldn't have taken this long. My gateway was not replaced but they did a firmware update I was told.

My RavEV definitely hums now. I only have 15K, and between about 25-55mph it definitely hums/whines. It has gotten much louder in the last couple of months.

I know that there has been a lot on this topic. My question is the process. Have those that have dealt with this issue done the following:

1. Report to dealer
2. Record sound to send to Toyota.
3. Get approval from Toyota for a new motor.
4. Have motor and gateway replaced.

Is that how it goes? Or, is there some run around that happens with Toyota trying to say that the noise falls within normal limits. Is it normal?

Any advice on how to stay on track?

The Gateway is a separate issue. Otherwise, your list sounds about right, but I haven't done it yet. It doesn't bother me that much so I'll just wait until it fails or gets closer to the end of the warranty so I'm sure to have a fresh one later on.

I tried to bring it up to the tech about the noise when they did the recall update and he said it was in spec. Look to be out of luck for now. Ill get the extended warranty and hope to get it replaced in the next few years .

csugar21 said:
I tried to bring it up to the tech about the noise when they did the recall update and he said it was in spec. Look to be out of luck for now. Ill get the extended warranty and hope to get it replaced in the next few years .
I got that line several times from Carson. In the end I insisted on a test drive with the tech to point out the noise. They acquiesced, made the video, and Toyota approved the work the next day.

The tech really shouldn't make the decision - have them go through the procedure to make the video and send it to Toyota. Let Toyota/Tesla corporate make the call, not the locals who may have tinnitus or something.

DevinL said:
I got that line several times from Carson. In the end I insisted on a test drive with the tech to point out the noise. They acquiesced, made the video, and Toyota approved the work the next day.

The tech really shouldn't make the decision - have them go through the procedure to make the video and send it to Toyota. Let Toyota/Tesla corporate make the call, not the locals who may have tinnitus or something.

I actually had the opposite experience at Carson. They made the recording and sent it to Toyota. A week or two later I got a call from the service adviser who said that Toyota said the noise was normal, but the SA thought otherwise. He said that there was a Toyota technical representative at the dealership that day and I should bring in the RAV4 and have him test drive it. I did and got a call a few hours later that they were scheduling a drive unit replacement.

He could have been blowing smoke, but I can't immediately see what that would have gained them.

Had a great experience with Toyota Palo Alto. Took it in for the recall a month ago, and asked them to also take a listen to the milling noise (which had become pretty obnoxious - like an ICE with a hole in the muffler). They told us they'd call after it was approved and they got the part, then gave us the car back. There was a new propulsion unit waiting for us in three weeks, took less than a day for the install. Those guys seem to actually know what they're doing.

Possibly of interest: the serial of the new motor looks pretty recent compared with the very early refurbished motors mentioned early in the thread. T12H0001208 is out, T15F0096202 was installed.

At roughly 80,000 miles and on my second drive unit, mine started making noises again (8 months after putting in the second unit). Took it in to Folsom Lake Toyota and they're now order a third unit. :(

So, my motor has been through several "whining" phases since about 7,500 miles when I first started to notice. I left it with the dealer (3rd time) and they finally confirmed (just over 18,000 miles), recorded, and submitted to Toyota for warranty repair. They said they will order a replacement motor assembly, but they have been waiting two weeks already for another one. Since I brought it in, they are also performing the recall software update. I hope this doesn't cause any issues. Other than motor noise this car has been perfect!!!

After waiting almost 3 months, my new drive unit has arrived at Toyota Palo Alto. I can't wait to experience a quiet car!

Mine has the disease. The dealer service department has been helpful but it's taking a very long time for Toyota/Tesla to actually provide the replacement part.

csugar21 said:
Wow 80,000! Is that being replaced under an extended warranty?
No, the first replacement motor is guaranteed for 12 months with no mileage limitation. :D
As an aside, my new motor came in last week, so tomorrow I get my second replacement drive unit.

Back