ALL POSTS-No Motor Power/Power Steering, turned off on road

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ntd said:
It turned out to be BOTH the Gateway ECU and the propulsion system--will need to replace the "transmission" as well.
We hit the jackpot!

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Congrats on hopefully finding the problem. Now, if you get the DC to DC converter, heater, charge port, and a few other sundry items, you can win the GRAND PRIZE!!!

I heard from Ntd, the original poster on this thread, that they were treated very well by the dealer and Toyota corporate and that they were given a completely new car instead of waiting for their car to be repaired. However, I just found that the original car is for sale at the same dealer. Obviously I don't know if they are representing this car as new, but the mileage and VIN match the story told here. While I'm sure they fixed the car well, I'm not sure how I feel about them selling this car to another unsuspecting buyer.

Magnussen_RAV1917.jpg

(screen shot from Cars.com)

miimura said:
I heard from Ntd, the original poster on this thread, that they were treated very well by the dealer and Toyota corporate and that they were given a completely new car instead of waiting for their car to be repaired. However, I just found that the original car is for sale at the same dealer. Obviously I don't know if they are representing this car as new, but the mileage and VIN match the story told here. While I'm sure they fixed the car well, I'm not sure how I feel about them selling this car to another unsuspecting buyer.

Same thing happened with my Nissan Leaf after they bought it back. Disappeared for a couple months and showed up in Nashville, from Phoenix, same mileage, same battery condition. Buyer has no idea.

Wow, not sure how I feel about that either. It's definitely the same car, and they have it on the dealer's site under the new car listings. I guess that we had a 110 mile extended test drive... But at least we know that whoever buys it will get a car with a brand new power system and a brand new gateway ECU.

This whole loss of power on the freeway thing is kinda freaking me out. My wife wanted an SUV after the birth of our daughter because of the (perceived) safety advantages of being in a bigger car. Its also MUCH easier getting her in and out of her car seat as opposed to the Volt, her last car (now mine).

Anyway, it was basically my idea to get the RAV EV shipped out to us in Colorado... She absolutely loves the RAV4, but now Im a bit afraid for her, and my daughter's safety. We have 8500 miles without issue. It seems to me that people either have problems right off the bat or none at all. Does this mean we are out of the woods? Are there any codes that may be logged behind the scenes that would indicate any imminent component failures?

Spiffster said:
It seems to me that people either have problems right off the bat or none at all. Does this mean we are out of the woods? Are there any codes that may be logged behind the scenes that would indicate any imminent component failures?

Every car can fail, even on the freeway during rush hour. I wouldn't get consumed by it.

Spiffster, where in Colorado are you? Have you taken your car in for the 5000 service? If so, where did you go? I think there's about 3 or 4 of us out here in Colorado. I'm at 2500 miles with no issues yet...

Spiffster said:
This whole loss of power on the freeway thing is kinda freaking me out. My wife wanted an SUV after the birth of our daughter because of the (perceived) safety advantages of being in a bigger car. Its also MUCH easier getting her in and out of her car seat as opposed to the Volt, her last car (now mine).

Anyway, it was basically my idea to get the RAV EV shipped out to us in Colorado... She absolutely loves the RAV4, but now Im a bit afraid for her, and my daughter's safety. We have 8500 miles without issue. It seems to me that people either have problems right off the bat or none at all. Does this mean we are out of the woods? Are there any codes that may be logged behind the scenes that would indicate any imminent component failures?

I am in the exact same boat. My idea for my Wife and her brother is skeptical.

As a buyer that is looking to buy on Saturday. What are your thoughts for me? I am worried about bringing this up with the Wife as her brother has been affecting her thoughts on this. If this happens I won't live it down.

Not too happy right now. I state that any car can have problems and there are recalls all the time with all types of issues.

While searching she found this topic but I explained it wasn't a big deal.

keith5885, you don't list where you're located and I think that should be a consideration. ANY car can have any kind of problems and failing on the freeway is a safety concern that is not limited to the RAV4 EV. More than 10 years ago I had this happen to me in an ICE car that had battery/alternator problems.

The larger concern might be how tolerant you are of the length of time it takes to have issues get resolved. This is a new car with limited support and it takes a bit longer for the issues to be diagnosed and addressed.

If you're located outside of California then I suggest you read some of the other threads like:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=590&p=7517#p7517

Ultimately, I think that Toyota will service the out of state buyers of this car, or we'll form a class and sue them into submission.

ground_gainer said:
Spiffster, where in Colorado are you? Have you taken your car in for the 5000 service? If so, where did you go? I think there's about 3 or 4 of us out here in Colorado. I'm at 2500 miles with no issues yet...

I was mistaken on the mileage, we have ~6000/miles on the RAV4. We are in Littleton. I have not taken the RAV4 to the dealership for the 5K yet, but Im gonna get that scheduled ASAP. As I understand, any dealership that can service the Prius plugin should be more qualified to service the RAV4 EV.

keith5885 said:
Spiffster said:

I am in the exact same boat. My idea for my Wife and her brother is skeptical.

As a buyer that is looking to buy on Saturday. What are your thoughts for me? I am worried about bringing this up with the Wife as her brother has been affecting her thoughts on this. If this happens I won't live it down.

Not too happy right now. I state that any car can have problems and there are recalls all the time with all types of issues.

While searching she found this topic but I explained it wasn't a big deal.

After my RAV4 EV's engine stopped on the freeway, the dealer gave me the option of getting out of the lease or another RAV4 EV. After much pondering, I decided to get another RAV4 EV. So far so good. As a mom, I love all the trunk space that it provides for all the stuff that comes with kids. I love how little resistance the car has upon acceleration, love the backup camera, love the range that it provides, love the leg room for the kids in the back, love the lease deal now, love being able to see how my efficiency is improving with experience and shifting between D and B, really love not using gas. Most of all, I love taking the car out on Sunday mornings when everyone is asleep and accelerating to 91 mph on sport mode! ;)

While I really did not like stalling on the freeway, I feel that it is worth trying another one for all the above reasons. I do feel safe driving my kids and other people's kids around. You cannot predict when bad things happen, just enjoy while you can.

I guess it is just a random failure and can happen with any car not just EVs.

Love my RAV4 EV...it is not only practical but gets great mileage and fast for an SUV.

This just happened to me on Monday. I leased the car last Tuesday from Dianne @ Carson Toyota, which by the way, was a fantastic sales experience. The malfunction was unexpected and dangerous to say the least. I was fortunately on a local road when it happened. The car's power steering went out and it went into neutral. The car coasted to the right fortunately without incident. An unsuspecting car trying to pass on the right lane could have easily ran into me as I had very little control. The power steering red light came on as well as a couple of yellow exclamation point lights and of course the take your EV to the nearest dealership. The car was towed back to Carson Toyota where I have yet to hear an update.

I really do like the overall concept of this car. But with this incident and very fortunately without anyone getting hurt, and with only 250+ miles on the odometer, near fully charged battery and only 6 days off the lot, I'm not surprised my wife is giving me grief about taking the plunge.

So, if I recall correctly, this is the third RAV4 EV to lose power while moving, at least reported here on the forum. One in Washington state, one from Magnussen's Toyota and one from Carson Toyota.
The NHTSA is investigating 12 complaints from Ford Focus EV customers for a similar problem. See related article at InsideEVs.

Tony, I'm trying to make the distinction that the car lost power while moving. There are many more instances when the car will not come READY when parked. Was yours in motion?

This is troubling, particularly since I have a rush hour commute on 101 where there is little to no shoulder.

Back