Charger Advice

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hanger isn’t necessary at all from a physical mounting standpoint. Just know that the instructions call for it to be mandatory from a UL standpoint, if the unit is plugged in and not hardwired, as it requires that the unit be removable without tools. The Leviton hanger facilitates easy tool-less removal. Though this can be accomplished with the hanger as well depending on what types of mounting screws you decide to use.

MOD – this Leviton charger specific discussion probably better fits in my install link thread better here - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=167&p=1102#p1102

I believe folks with EVs that have LADWP as their electric utility can get up to $2000 of out of pocket expenses reimbursed.

So if money wasn't really an issue, would you guys go with a Leviton or something else?

Tony, why the clipper creek over the leviton? I see that it is an 18kw charger but other than that what other advantages does it have? The clipper creek website shows it out of stock.

FreshAndClean said:
Tony, why the clipper creek over the leviton? I see that it is an 18kw charger but other than that what other advantages does it have? The clipper creek website shows it out of stock.

It's built to handle future EVs up to the maximum 80 amps of the J1772 architecture.

It's built in California by a California company that has been doing this "forever" in the EV world. They have an awesome reputation in the industry. When I upgraded my unit from 30 amps to 40 amps to handle the Rav4, it was a simple phone call away and a UPS shipment.

Quality parts and good service. Unlike some models, you've never heard of an EV that wouldn't work with CC.

Does anyone know if the 40A Leviton EVSE has external inputs like the Clipper Creek to enable/disable charging? I can't seem to find a manual for it online.

To upgrade a Clipper Creek CS-30 to 40A, what would I need to change? I assume a higher rated J1772 plug, cord, and maybe the relay?

yblaser said:
Does anyone know if the 40A Leviton EVSE has external inputs like the Clipper Creek to enable/disable charging? I can't seem to find a manual for it online.

To upgrade a Clipper Creek CS-30 to 40A, what would I need to change? I assume a higher rated J1772 plug, cord, and maybe the relay?

I seriously doubt that Leviton has this feature. I upgraded mine; call Clipper Creek and get an authorization to send your mother board in for a reflash to 40A continuous.

Then, just make sure your relay and wiring can handle 40A. I recommend #6 wiring and either a 40A or 75A rated J1772 cord set.

Read this:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=248883#p248883

I considered the Clipper Creek, but it was price prohibitive when I was looking, compared to the already expensive Leviton.

Just another perspective, but I didn't think it was necessary to overbuy in anticipation of upgradability. With standards changing all the time, it would be just my luck that the next car will require something completely outside of the CS-100 architecture or capability envelope.

You also have to consider that if you never take advantage of the upgradability, its extra money down the drain, and the upgrade itself is not free. You always have the option to sell the current unit and put that money into a new charger of whatever sort you may need in the future.

TonyWilliams said:
I seriously doubt that Leviton has this feature. I upgraded mine; call Clipper Creek and get an authorization to send your mother board in for a reflash to 40A continuous.

Then, just make sure your relay and wiring can handle 40A. I recommend #6 wiring and either a 40A or 75A rated J1772 cord set.

Read this:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=248883#p248883

Thanks Tony. I had taken a look at your thread, but wasn't sure what was in the MINI-E charger to begin with and I don't currently have a Clipper Creek EVSE, but was looking at some used ones for sale. It looks like our Voltec EVSE is actually working with the Rav4 so my need is a little less urgent, but I'm still interested in getting something with higher current capability. As you have suggested in other threads I might just go ahead with Open EVSE build :geek:, just need to do a lot more reading to figure out all the parts that I would need to order.

TonyWilliams said:
We do have workshops for the OpenEVSE builds in Orange County.

Very cool. Where can I find out more info on the workshops, namely the when and where? PM me if that is more appropriate. Thanks!

Thanks Tony. The meet up on Saturday is extremely close to me. I'm guessing they wouldn't mind a Rav4 EVer crashing their Leaf get together :lol:. If not the workshop it would be great just to meet other enthusiasts for breakfast.

yblaser said:
Thanks Tony. The meet up on Saturday is extremely close to me. I'm guessing they wouldn't mind a Rav4 EVer crashing their Leaf get together :lol:. If not the workshop it would be great just to meet other enthusiasts for breakfast.

Looks like no EVSE workshop this weekend, or in two weeks, but maybe on the 30th. There will be breakfast at HTB this weekend.

So I have narrowed the problem to 3 choices. The problem being a portable EVSE, that I can throw in and take on the road for a trip beyond battery range, with enough current capacity to be useful but still portable and pluggable.
1) DIY EVSE - http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/EVSE_LORDSn1per
2) LCS- 25 - http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-Limited-time-offers/Categories.bok
3) Refurbished CS-40 - http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-1/CS-dsh-40/Detail.bok
The adapted Tesla EVSE sounds good but I could'nt find a source to actually buy one.

All three are about the same price - $600 (The DIY is about $500 but labor is worth something)
They are not all the same capability in terms of amperage or portability.
The question, for those who have actaully handled these, is which one most closely meets the requirements of portability and pluggability ?

How about this Swedish company selling a true "portable" Level 2 EVSE"? It is currently intended for Europe (220V, 50Hz), but they may produce a version for the U.S. It can output 16A, (lower currents are selectable), has a built in flashlight, and is in the form of a "cordset" compatible with the SAE J1772 charge port connector. Sells for $745.

http://charge-amps.com/um-evse

SeattleRav4 said:
The adapted Tesla EVSE sounds good but I could'nt find a source to actually buy one.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/universal-mobile-connector-available-october-2009

chargingSolutions_med_main4_1024x1024.jpg

Please note that the connectors sold through our online store are for the Tesla Roadster. Model S charging options will be released at a later date.

The Universal Mobile Connector is ideal for road trips or as an alternative to the Home Connector. You can fully recharge your car in 6 hours or less. This unit is highly flexible with an included NEMA 14-50 adapter and a selection of 8 additional adapters available separately. You can store it in your trunk for road trips, and plug into nearly any outlet anywhere – including your electric clothes dryer and other large or industrial appliances.

Key Benefits
6-hour charge
Mobile
Flexible – 10 adapters available

Technical Specs
Max Current: 40A
Voltage: 208-240V
Max Power: 9.6 kW
Approx Charge Time: 6 hours
Mobile Unit
Cord Length: 18ft

Outlet Installation Recommended

OPTIONAL: We recommend that you contact a certified electrician to install a NEMA 14-50R or to verify what outlets you have available in your location. Provide your Electrician with this Info Sheet .
The connector comes standard with the NEMA 14-50. Your power source will determine your charge rate. See “About Adapters” for a list of available adapters and charge time.

About Adapters

The Universal Mobile Connector is compatible with a range of adapters so that you can plug into numerous types of 240-volt outlets. You can put it in your trunk and charge your car from nearly any 240-volt power source, making this the solution of choice for people who take road trips. See the chart below for a list of available adapters and the resulting charge time.

Currently the Universal Mobile Connector is only available in North America. We are working on developing a unit for all other markets. We apologize for the inconvenience.

$1500

I will grant that the TESLA option meets the stated requirements, portability and plugability, best.
I was about to ask if anyone had any direct knowledge of whether these can be bought or were on backorder when I saw the price!
Good, fast, cheap - the BEST you can do is 2 out of the three!

At $1500, while they may be the most portable and pluggable, they are not cheap. I will have to choose among my previously stated 3.

SeattleRav4 said:
I will grant that the TESLA option meets the stated requirements, portability and plugability, best.
I was about to ask if anyone had any direct knowledge of whether these can be bought or were on backorder when I saw the price!
Good, fast, cheap - the BEST you can do is 2 out of the three!

At $1500, while they may be the most portable and pluggable, they are not cheap. I will have to choose among my previously stated 3.
Just go to the Tesla Seattle service center, pick up a new Model S UMC for $500, cut the Model S end off , buy and connect an ITT J1772 handle to it and you are done. Easy and elegant.

Back