Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philly RAV4 EV said:
By the way the first 2 dealers [edit: in Pennsylvania] got offended when asked if they could service the Rav, they both said were a Toyota dealer we have to service it.

Ya, exactly what I thought. Reality overcomes fear, however, if they need a special tool, obviously they'll have to get that tool. That's much cheaper and simpler to the consumer than shipping the car cross country.

TonyWilliams said:
Philly RAV4 EV said:
By the way the first 2 dealers [edit: in Pennsylvania] got offended when asked if they could service the Rav, they both said were a Toyota dealer we have to service it.
Ya, exactly what I thought. Reality overcomes fear, however, if they need a special tool, obviously they'll have to get that tool. That's much cheaper and simpler to the consumer than shipping the car cross country.
They don't care about cost and simplicity from the customer's point of view.

AvLegends said:
Well... just picked up the car and everything is working and running as it should. The problem listed is the gateway ECU needed replacement. This is consistent with what the Toyota EV tech that has been working on it since coming in on the flatbed. He has said all along that the Toyota ECU is not properly communicating with the Tesla ECU and the gateway ECU apparently handles this communication... apparently a Tesla part.

Well after a week and a half in the shop, they are releasing my car to me tomorrow. They are ordering a Gateway ECU and it should be here in a week. They couldn't actually find anything wrong so they are just changing it out because ... because ... well, because i guess they have to do something.

SeaMonster said:
AvLegends said:
Well... just picked up the car and everything is working and running as it should. The problem listed is the gateway ECU needed replacement. This is consistent with what the Toyota EV tech that has been working on it since coming in on the flatbed. He has said all along that the Toyota ECU is not properly communicating with the Tesla ECU and the gateway ECU apparently handles this communication... apparently a Tesla part.

Well after a week and a half in the shop, they are releasing my car to me tomorrow. They are ordering a Gateway ECU and it should be here in a week. They couldn't actually find anything wrong so they are just changing it out because ... because ... well, because i guess they have to do something.
Hey at least they are trying something. I would think that there are some indications that are pointing them in that direction. Best of luck!

SeaMonster said:
They couldn't actually find anything wrong so they are just changing it out because ... because ... well, because i guess they have to do something.
Wow, charge timer, screen of death, motor hum, the list goes on. Maybe after a certain point Toyota/Tesla will just throw in the towel and give us all "real" Teslas. One can hope. :lol:

TonyWilliams said:
My car stop charging at about 70% at 4:30pm, and again at 80% at 6:30pm.

Tony,

how do you monitor that? Are you watching home electric usage? (But that wouldn't give you charge level.) Or using Entune? Or something else? Manual?

SeaMonster said:
TonyWilliams said:
My car stop charging at about 70% at 4:30pm, and again at 80% at 6:30pm.

Tony,

how do you monitor that? Are you watching home electric usage? (But that wouldn't give you charge level.) Or using Entune? Or something else? Manual?

Entunes will show its update time for the last thing that happened, plus it is sending me emails for "charge complete".

My car hasn't been at home for 2 weeks... it's at Toyota Carlsbad.

I unfortunately have now joined this unlucky club :( With only 550 miles on my car I came back from dinner last night to the Check EV System display although the car still operated normally (3 mile drive home). This morning everything was normal but after a short trip to the store it's come back. I'm not excited about intermittent system failures particularly because I was planning on driving from LA to Santa Barbara tomorrow morning for a meeting and would benefit from my HOV stickers (but not from a car that might not start).

So essentially, you have all had the same problem. Why is that such an issue? Were those components put together poorly?

At least I'll have a suggestion for the dealer if this ever happens.

snoltor said:
I'm curious if that's a Toyota or Tesla part...

TonyWilliams said:
I now have a new gateway computer between the Tesla and Toyota brains
I believe it's a Tesla part... at least this is what the Tesla tech replaced on mine when he finally showed up... after two weeks in the shop! WTF?

If it was a Toyota part it would have been replaced early on by the Toyota tech... in my opinion!

Mine catastrophically failed and would not come on line long enough to give a "READY" indication.

AvLegends said:
snoltor said:
I'm curious if that's a Toyota or Tesla part...

TonyWilliams said:
I now have a new gateway computer between the Tesla and Toyota brains
I believe it's a Tesla part... at least this is what the Tesla tech replaced on mine when he finally showed up... after two weeks in the shop! WTF?

If it was a Toyota part it would have been replaced early on by the Toyota tech... in my opinion!

Mine catastrophically failed and would not come on line long enough to give a "READY" indication.

That's right, good point. I didn't think of that. If Toyota could replace the part quickly and get the car back to you why would they wait? The more days it sits in the shop the closer they get to the 30 days lemon law limit.

Add 1!

I got it today @ 2300 miles. Car is drives, that is not a problem. However, i decided not take chances and dropped of the car.

I told them about the gateway ECU and firmaware updates. Service department is highly uneducated on RAV4 EV.

Will report my experience.

Got my car back:

Converter $2200
Gateway $3700
Heater $2700

Total bill for warranty $10,770

It drove fine to the Arby's fast food joint. No EV message yet :?

The printout had a DTC code 552, if that helps anybody. Could be for the heater failure.

TonyWilliams said:
Got my car back:

Converter $2200
Gateway $3700
Heater $2700

The printout had a DTC code 552, if that helps anybody. Could be for the heater failure.
How much was your charge port inlet fix? Toyota should have sold you a 40kWh Model S.

Add me to the list... :x

I got the error today around 2200 miles. Car drives fine, but I decided to drop it off at my dealer (WC Toyota). EV error comes up every time I tried to start the car (tried 5 times to make sure the service guy would see the error).

One point of interest, the first time I got the error I happened to be looking at the environmental controls display, and it flashed a quick message about the battery being low. But I can't make it repeat this error. I didn't know that display could/would show error messages.

waidy said:
TonyWilliams said:
Got my car back:

Converter $2200
Gateway $3700
Heater $2700

How much was your charge port inlet fix? Toyota should have sold you a 40kWh Model S.

Charge port, about $2,000

Motor reportedly $30,000, but the bill showed $0.01

We already know the battery is $36,000

Back