Check EV System warning message

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, not feeling too lucky at the moment. Fingers crossed here as well. I told the sales guy that I want a new one if this is going to take a while. He said ok, but I doubt it will be that easy.

Picked up the car today. There were multiple codes U1146: Lost communication with electronic propulsion control system gateway U0293, U0146, P312F, 074001. The paperwork says that Tesla Firmware Update uploaded update. Did not specify which update or version. Is there a way for me to check?

Karen said:
Picked up the car today. There were multiple codes U1146: Lost communication with electronic propulsion control system gateway U0293, U0146, P312F, 074001. The paperwork says that Tesla Firmware Update uploaded update. Did not specify which update or version. Is there a way for me to check?
The only way I know of is to find it on the work order or look under the hood for one of these.

For those who actually got the screen of death message and toyota actually did something to fix it, ie. some part replacement like gateway ecu or more (versus just a firmware upgrade), has anyone noticed when the charge is started, it's much louder hum?

i swear it is much louder...before it was barely noticeable and now it's not.

would a change in the gateway ecu do that? wouldn't that be more of a charging mechanism thing?
maybe they changed more than they told me on my paperwork?

not a big deal but just wondering

Unfortunately, you can now add me to the list of people who have experienced the Check EV system error message. My car had 122 miles at the time, less than 1 week.

I only have the EVSE that came with the car so I plug it in and it charges sometimes for around 8 or 9 hours. I don't drive it far so it's a non-issue. This morning I woke up around 4:30am and saw an e-mail at 1:16am that charging was interrupted. I'm used to seeing this since I get it every time I unplug my car, even when it's fully charged. Then at 4:44am I got a charge failure notification. I was on my way out so I didn't think much of it.

I back my car out of the garage and onto the street and I then noticed the Check EV system error message. I pulled the car forward and parked it in front of my house and turned it off. I turned it on and off 4 or 5 times and the error went away.

I thought that these problems were isolated to 2012 models, but I guess that's no longer the case. I also read that someone else that had their car for less than one day (also a 2013 model) is experiencing this same problem.

Can someone who has the new gateway ECU please read the part numbers listed on the outside of the device so I can see if it matches what I have? Maybe there is some kind of revision number. I wanted to avoid having to go to Toyota Hawaii this soon and try to see how they are going to service me, but if this problem continues it looks like I'm going to have to work on this sooner.

Also, is there still no way to find out what the firmware version is on the car?

Hi Madcow, I am the one that had the problem as I drove off the lot last week. I still don't have my car back. He told me yesterday that they ordered the part and it would take 48 hours to get it in. Then another 24 hours to have it installed. He didn't tell me what part it was though.

Then he said he'd get me a new car if I'd rather go that route. It old him fine, I'll take a new one, but now I'm wondering if I should keep the original one since they are fixing it. Who knows if/when the new one will have that issue.

Your problem might be a different problem though. My light stayed on the whole time and never went away like yours.

What is the VIN of your car? I'm guessing now that whatever problem is causing this, Toyota has still not managed to get the fix into the production line, or if they have, we're still getting cars that don't have this fixed yet. If that's the case, then you might be better off getting the repaired car (your original) since you will most likely have this problem in the other car. I don't think any of the people who have had the gateway ECU replaced have had problems since then so hopefully that is the permanent fix.

If you can, please try to find out if there are any codes, part numbers, revision dates, etc on the gateway ECU part if that is what they replace for you. Physically it is located in the back of the car on the left hand side behind a removable plastic panel (opposite side from where the tire repair kit is). The gateway ECU is mounted right behind that panel. Please also try to ask them to find out what firmware version your car has, not for the navigation, radio, etc, but for the EV system.

One more thing, just to clarify, the Check EV system light didn't go away on it's own. I knew about this problem and other users have reported that they have been able to clear the error (most times) by turning the car off and on several times in a row. Seems like there are 2 kinds of Check EV system problems. The type where the car still runs and the error can be cleared, and the type where the car is dead and the problem can't be cleared.

I'll check it out if I end up getting it back! I just called and now he's telling me my new one is at the Port of Long Beach coming in from Japan. I don't know if he's feeding me lies to keep me content until my original one is fixed or if he's really gone one coming in for me. Time will tell. My VIN is 1776 I believe.

duggie said:
I'll check it out if I end up getting it back! I just called and now he's telling me my new one is at the Port of Long Beach coming in from Japan. I don't know if he's feeding me lies to keep me content until my original one is fixed or if he's really gone one coming in for me. Time will tell. My VIN is 1776 I believe.

Ok, I would seriously start to wonder now. I'm going to call bullshit on this one. The car is made in Ontario, CANADA. The port of entry to the US is Detroit, MI. If it is coming in from Japan then something is seriously wrong.

madcow said:
duggie said:

Ok, I would seriously start to wonder now. I'm going to call bullshit on this one. The car is made in Ontario, CANADA. The port of entry to the US is Detroit, MI. If it is coming in from Japan then something is seriously wrong.

It's likely that it is not coming from Japan, since a US Manufacturer Tesla made it, probably in Fremont, Palo Alto or Menlo Park, California. The Rav4 EV is assembled in Woodstock, Ontario. The parts for any car are made all over the world. Also, it is possible that Tesla contracted a Japanese company to make their part, but extremely unlikely given the more logical possibilities.

I suspect you got a knee jerk answer (Toyota = Japan = any part comes from there).

Here's the actual part:

Rav4loggingDataECUcard_zps15e5bfc9.jpg

Rav4loggingDataTeslaPort_zps1b504574.jpg

Tony,

I interpreted his comment to mean that his new one (replacement car) was coming from Japan, not the gateway ECU which could have come from anywhere.

I had opened a service claim with Toyota customer care a month ago and they got back to me on tuesday after I called them again about it. I had told everyone in this forum before that when I get the screen of death it is when I put it in drive and hit the excellerator pedal at the same time. I dont have the problem when I wait a second or two. I talked to the guy from toyota about this problem and he confirmed to me that I am right, he says the camry hybrid does the same thing, you just cant be fast with the excellerator. The guy from toyota gave me his direct number to call because he is in charge of all customer relations on the Rav4 EV.

The first time I got the screen, was hitting the accelerator too close to selecting drive. However, the second time I got it I was turning around in a parking lot, going slow and it opened up the contactors (stopping power steering). Luckily, cycling the power button a few times cleared it. So more than one condition can make it appear.

I can now officially confirm that the 1.3.57 firmware update did not solve my RAV's problems. I got the SoD today, and last week the charging hung at the last ten percent again. I haven't had any repeats of the more serious charge scheduling failures, but that doesn't mean they won't happen too. After today's SoD, I let the car sit for about an hour while I ran an errand in my wife's car, and when I returned mine started right up. It has behaved normally through two more starts and about 40 miles of driving. I may not take it in this time. I plan to ask if they can just order a new ECU, and call when it's in.

As long as we're comparing possible operator causes, mine would be putting the RAV in reverse gear before the startup System Check was complete. But regardless, the problem is still the vehicle, not us.

Oh, and about this question:
BloomRAV4_EV said:
Older navigation system, is that also with older maps?
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to check my map version yet. I usually rely on Google Maps anyway.

I just received a call from South Coast Toyota. They said my car is ready to pick up today. I asked what they replaced and he said the Tesla water pump. I asked if they had replaced the ECU Gateway, but he said not that it didn't need it. I get this feeling that they were kind of guessing on what to replace so I think I might have this problem again in the future.

They have another Rav on order for me though and said I can pick up a brand new one on Aug. 9th if I want to. Thinking about it!

Back