Portable chargers.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusiondynamics

What is the highest amp portable charger that could be used/get on this car? I'm just curious because if I go to my friends house and need to use his wall outlet to charge my car so I would be able to get home.

fusiondynamics said:
What is the highest amp portable charger that could be used/get on this car? I'm just curious because if I go to my friends house and need to use his wall outlet to charge my car so I would be able to get home.

40 amps at 200 - 250 volts
20 amps at 100 - 120 volts

At your friend's house, you want to find their electric dryer outlet, where you can pull 24 amps continuous at 200-250 volts. If you plug into a normal wall socket, it will add about 3 miles of addition range for every hour charging. It's an emergency only.

TonyWilliams said:
miimura said:
Tony - don't you mean 12A at 100-120 volts?
Nope, it can pull 20 amps at 100-120 volts.
Ok, I think you mean the car can pull up to 20 amps at 100-120 volts. What EVSE can deliver that? You would need a 25 amp breaker. I don't think I've seen a single pole (120 volt) breaker more than 20 amps.
The included EVSE is limited to 12 amps, right?

miimura said:
TonyWilliams said:
miimura said:
Tony - don't you mean 12A at 100-120 volts?
Nope, it can pull 20 amps at 100-120 volts.
Ok, I think you mean the car can pull up to 20 amps at 100-120 volts. What EVSE can deliver that? You would need a 25 amp breaker. I don't think I've seen a single pole (120 volt) breaker more than 20 amps.
The included EVSE is limited to 12 amps, right?

Every trailer park with a "30 amp service" at 120 volts.

My modified Nissan EVSE can do 20 amps at 120 volts, and 25 amps at 240 volts. The stock EVSE is limited to 12 amps.

Help! I was planning on buying the Leviton EVB40-PST for installation in my garage at home. Well, now I'm also going to be running a 50 amp 240V line into the Palm Springs garage as well. So I'm now thinking I'd like to get a portable charger that I can easily take with me when going back and forth. I need at least a 30A output, but prefer 40. Any suggestions? Portability and amperage are high on my list.

The difficult part is not being able to see these chargers in person before purchasing. Is there a place I could go look at them in person first?

Thanks!

Mike

duggie said:
Help! I was planning on buying the Leviton EVB40-PST for installation in my garage at home. Well, now I'm also going to be running a 50 amp 240V line into the Palm Springs garage as well. So I'm now thinking I'd like to get a portable charger that I can easily take with me when going back and forth. I need at least a 30A output, but prefer 40. Any suggestions? Portability and amperage are high on my list.

I have the Leviton and it is very easy to take off the wall and take with you. Just use a Leviton mounting plate at both places (you have to buy it separately from the EVSE). The EVSE slides onto the mounting plate and is held with 1 screw at the bottom, and that is optional. It is a thumbscrew too and does not need to be very tight, so you can just use your fingers if you like. The EVSE body itself is not very heavy; a lot of its weight is in the cord.

Your other option is to order a Tesla UMC (mobile connector) and the right J1772 plug and have Tony put the plug on for you. That would be a nice portable solution, but the Leviton might be nicer / more robust in daily use.

tgreene said:
Your other option is to order a Tesla UMC (mobile connector) and the right J1772 plug and have Tony put the plug on for you. That would be a nice portable solution, but the Leviton might be nicer / more robust in daily use.

Here's the link for the modified portable 40 amp Tesla UMC.

I won't be accepting additional units until the current batch of ten is done sometime next week (I hope).

Back