Schneider Electric vs. Bosch Power Max 30a

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlestonleafer

Trying to decide between these 2 units. I know that neither will be able to charge the Rav at it's max rate, but I only have 8 AWG wire ran about 60ft connected to a 40a breaker. I don't think I'll be able to talk the wife into the expense of the change in infrastructure, or the added expense of the Leviton unit to be able to charge at 40a. All that being said, the Bosch unit is $593 on their website, and the Schneider is $699 at Home Depot. Any reason not to go for the Bosch?

Charlestonleafer said:
the Bosch unit is $593 on their website, and the Schneider is $699 at Home Depot. Any reason not to go for the Bosch?

Input/Output Power: 3.3kW
Voltage: 208-240 AC Volts
Bosch Part Number: EL-51245

If this is the unit you are refering to, it's only 16 amps.

Input Current: 30 Amps
Circuit Breaker: 40 Amps
Input/Output Power: 7.2kW
Voltage: 208-240 AC Volts
Bosch Part Number: EL-51253

This one is 30 amps.

Actually he's got it right... the $449 is the 16 Amp.
$593 - 30 Amp 18' cable
$749 - 30 Amp 25' cable

I bought the $593 version and had Bosch's contractor (SPX) install it.
Their installation was quite expensive but it comes with a 3 year warranty (1 year if you use your own electrician or do it yourself).
In the end I paid ardoun $1900 for the charger/installation/permits and Tax.

It's been working fine for me so far. Unfortunately I have no other charger to compare it to.
There is no interface... so there is no way to program a timed charge or determine how much power is going through the charger at a given time.

Feel free to ask me any further questions on it and I can try my best to answer...

If you get the Scheneider, make sure to check the serial number against the Product Safety Alert linked here. If you have the bad handle from the affected batch, do not use it to charge a vehicle until Schneider replaces the cable assembly for you. One would hope that they have identified and pulled the old inventory, but you never know.

Back