Smart key only works 60% of the time

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo69ny

Has any one else had issues with the smart key system?

I'm pretty sure this is the older generation system because it has the same black rubber pad on the handle as my 08 Prius. I remember that system had issues sometimes.
My 12 PIP had a different smart key system that worked flawlessly. The one on this Rav is really frustrating me. It only works about 60% of the time. I'm talking all door handles and even the buttons on the remote. One time I thought I was going to have to use the metal key to lock it after pushing the button on the drivers door and pushing the button on the key pad about 10 times. Finally it worked.

I thought I had it narrowed down to just the drivers door. It wouldn't open for me one day. I then tried the back door and passenger door, those didn't work either. I then went back to the drivers door and it opened the first try.

This is maddening!!!!

I don't have any other remotes in my pocket and I live in the suburbs away from any city with a lot of radio waves. The car also only has 2500 miles on it so the remote battery shouldn't be dead. I'm going to swap remotes though and see if the other one is any better. I love this car and the smart key feature is one of my favorite conveniences. I'm really annoyed with the way it right now.

Mine has been working quite well, maybe >95% of the time on the first try. My previous car, a MINI, had problems like you describe so this has been a pleasant change. Stupid question...you are pushing the button only to lock the doors only? There is a sensor behind the door handle that detects your hand to unlock.

I find that when the key is even two feet away from the door, it does not detect it. For example, when the key is in my wife's backpack style purse and she is standing facing the driver's door at arm's length, it may not be detected. By turning 90 degrees and moving closer to the car, the key is then detected. I always keep the key in my front pants pocket and I never have any problems with it. Of course, YMMV. I would also try changing the battery.

yblaser said:
Stupid question...you are pushing the button only to lock the doors only? There is a sensor behind the door handle that detects your hand to unlock.
And presumably everyone knows you can press the button on the door handle to lock the doors. In other words, you never have to take the key fob out of your pocket or purse/bag. Love that

As for troubleshooting the original poster's issue...

Others have already noted, it is super-sensitive as to how close you must stand. I do sometimes have to turn my hips one way or another to lock. I never seem to have trouble unlocking. It unlocks so quickly and naturally on reaching for the door that it's easy to take it for granted.

And check the battery...

And... never tried this to see if there is interference, but is the fob in a pocket with something else? Another car's fob? A cellphone?

Incredulocious said:
yblaser said:
Stupid question...you are pushing the button only to lock the doors only? There is a sensor behind the door handle that detects your hand to unlock.
And presumably everyone knows you can press the button on the door handle to lock the doors. In other words, you never have to take the key fob out of your pocket or purse/bag. Love that

As for troubleshooting the original poster's issue...

Others have already noted, it is super-sensitive as to how close you must stand. I do sometimes have to turn my hips one way or another to lock. I never seem to have trouble unlocking. It unlocks so quickly and naturally on reaching for the door that it's easy to take it for granted.

And check the battery...

And... never tried this to see if there is interference, but is the fob in a pocket with something else? Another car's fob? A cellphone?

As I stated in the first post, no it is not near any interference. This is my 3rd car with this feature and so far it is the least reliable.

I just swapped it out for the other key fob. Ill see if that helps at all.

jimbo69ny said:
As I stated in the first post, no it is not near any interference. This is my 3rd car with this feature and so far it is the least reliable.

I just swapped it out for the other key fob. Ill see if that helps at all.
Maybe external interference? Does it happen in any location or only at home, only in your garage, etc?

Only when you carry the fob as opposed to someone else? Ever swallow some radioactive materials? Eat a lot of bananas? ;-)

Oherwise, I'd start to wonder if there's something wrong with your vehicle in particular.

I've noticed this too, although my 2007 Prius with SKS was much more consistent than the RAV4 is. Location of the car makes no difference, it can do it at home or out and about. It works better if I face the left side of my body (I put the key in my left pocket) towards the door. I can only imagine that the antenna placement in the RAV4 is not as well-optimized as the Prius is. Or perhaps the Entune antenna connection is nearby and causes some interference.

But the ladies love the lead pants!

I swapped out the remotes and I've been rotating my hips (keeping my left pocket within a foot of the handle) and so far it has worked this past evening.
Although I feel like this guy
http://youtu.be/wCZg7WsCRiA

Hmmm, Mine has worked flawlessly, even in a pocket right alongside my Prius fob. I don't even have to be all that close. Many times I've stood behind someone else while they opened the back door or the passenger door. The only thing I've ever noticed is a very rare "pause" effect where I'll push the button, turn away, and then start to turn back because the beep hasn't come...then it comes before I can actually turn around.

Since swapping out the remote it has been much better. Which is strange because the car and both remotes are brand new.

Regardless I am thankful that, so far at least, it is better.

jimbo69ny said:
Since swapping out the remote it has been much better. Which is strange because the car and both remotes are brand new.

One remote might have a bad battery. You could try swapping the batteries between the 2 remotes.

Or just buy a new battery -

One problem I've seen with these is that if you keep it in your pocket with other items, bunch of keys, whatever, you can inadvertently push and hold one of the buttons in, draining the battery in a few hours. You may also notice it when you sit down and realize you've set the alarm off -

Back