Tesla software

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdunst

Supporting Member
I am wondering if it is possible to run the toyota or is it tesla software on a Mac?
I just got the check EV system take to dealership message on one of my Rav's and am hoping its a pump. I did buy a cable from Al and the Microtic router so I could have Vlad diagnose - but I am an old retired tech guy and would kind of like to learn and work with the software and process along the way. I don't have a windows laptop nearby but could grab one next week at my shop if I need to. Otherwise I have some time over the weekend I could mess with it if I can use the mac.

I am wondering if it is possible to run the toyota or is it tesla software on a Mac?
I just got the check EV system take to dealership message on one of my Rav's and am hoping its a pump. I did buy a cable from Al and the Microtic router so I could have Vlad diagnose - but I am an old retired tech guy and would kind of like to learn and work with the software and process along the way. I don't have a windows laptop nearby but could grab one next week at my shop if I need to. Otherwise I have some time over the weekend I could mess with it if I can use the mac.
Take a look links in https://www.myrav4ev.com/threads/tesla-powertrain-diagnostics-tpd-v1-1-46.2602/

Not a Mac guy here -- though I've touched one or two -- but the "free, publicly available" TPD 1.1.46 linked above ought to be installable in a VM; doesn't Mac offer a Win VM outta the box these days?

[I use $250 VMWare Workstation Pro here, over Ubuntu. It works "OK" for WinXP, W7, W10, with caveats, but good enough for casual use. Paste from host has been broken for several years, the <Alt> key gets stuck when using <Alt+Tab> to switch between the VM and host and it has to be "bounced" to reset upon VM re-focus. Performance is awful when doing heavy graphics unless the host is running proprietary NVidia driver on the host. Every time the linux kernel gets an update -- weekly, these days -- the VMs all want their update to VMTools too. Crap like that.]

The non-publicly available TPD 1.1.42, which can do and show more, is a lot less likely to run on a VM, at a guess. I haven't tried: see below.

Cheap Win laptops are . . . cheap. I wouldn't let lack of Mac support prevent you from avoiding big $$$ at a dealer/QCC/Indy: buy a cheap Win laptop, update it then cut it off from the internet, and dedicate it to being a "car only" diagnostic tool. That's what I did back when I had a MB with a very fragile MB Star Diagnostic crack, and I've maintained that practice. $150 can buy you a very nice 5-yr-old Win laptop these days; half that, if you're willing to run it off AC (used laptop batteries are "always" on their last legs).

My eyes are bad, so I buy old huge Dell laptops with the biggest screen I can reasonably get. I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 15R-5537 now, and "need no work" ones sell on eBay right now for under $200, some for under $100 (depends if you have to have W10 pre-installed, whether you buy one with an SSD already in there, or DIY one later, varying battery conditions, etc.). I buy W10 licenses for $10 from keysoff.com, so buying a laptop with W7 or W8 installed is not a big deal.

If you're retired tech, by all means hammer at running TPD in a VM; for folks that are not retired and/or don't want to ascend that learning curve, buying a dedicated cheap Win laptop is a far straighter path.

Back