Waiting to replace propulsion unit

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locman

Waiting to replace the propulsion unit of my Rav4ev. Dealer said they ordered from Tesla, and it's going to take couple of weeks.
Symtom I experienced: Clunking sound every time I accelerate or decelerate.
My Rav4ev is 20 months old with 40k miles.
The repair is covered by the drivetrain warranty of 5years/60kmi.
Will keep you posted.

-locman

I had my motor/inverter assembly replaced for the same reason about 4k miles ago (~15k & 18 months old). After 1-2k miles the replacement unit stated making the clunking sound again, but not as loud and only on deceleration, but given how it developed on the original I am guessing it will continue to get worse.

I've heard some talk on the Tesla forums about this issue but haven't seen a discussion here other than the motor "hum" issue.

Have them check the CV bolts. Mine was making a clunking sound at stopping and starting and it turned out to be loose bolts on the drive shaft.

I'm in the same boat. I was told by Toyota corporate that the average time for the dealer to receive the replacement from Tesla was 8-9 weeks based on them monitoring the process from order to delivery. Of course Tesla gives no official estimate.
I've been waiting 8 weeks (57 days) with no update.
I started hearing the noise at 25k took at 37k.

Bassman said:
Have them check the CV bolts. Mine was making a clunking sound at stopping and starting and it turned out to be loose bolts on the drive shaft.
In my case the sound is only when transitioning between acceleration and regen at speeds below 20-25 mph. If I come to a compete stop and the start, I do not hear it.

When I got it replaced it only took a couple of weeks to get the unit. The paperwork said something about the pinion gear in the differential being out of spec.

locman,

Which bay area dealer you are working with? I think I have the same problem and thinking going there will help.

Thanks!

when i had my propulsion unit replaced, it took Toyota of Palo Alto 5 whole days to get a new one. Now, we're across the bay from the Tesla plant (which i bet is where the stock is stored, since about 50+% of that plant is empty and is used for warehousing, why would they pay to store them somewhere else?)

5 hours to replace it, i brought it in at 7am and took it home at 4pm.

yblaser,
Wow! The problem came back with your car after 1-2kmi? That's not good!
Are you bringing it back in anytime soon?

evbuddy,
I'm working with Palo Alto Toyota.

My motor/drive assy is also being replaced. They said 3-4 weeks for a unit from Tesla and they'll notify me. Well they did earlier this week saying that it'll be coming in probably next week sometime.

I said "probably doesn't cut it, call me when it's there" :roll:

P.S. The Toyota liaison who was there and also went with tech on a test drive to listen for the noise approached me in almost (well he did) a confrontational manner asking about the trailer hitch. Accusing me of towing with the vehicle when it states (i guess somewhere in the piles of paperwork) DO NOT TOW ...

My response was.."do you see a lighting harness on that vehicle? how can I legally tow a trailer? I never have and don't intend to.. I just have a bike rack and a Harbor Freight cargo rack".. (in my pissy attitude voice)

He was like.. "uh huh.. ok sir".. just checking, :roll:

I'm at almost 1 year and 17k miles..

locman said:
yblaser,
Wow! The problem came back with your car after 1-2kmi? That's not good!
Are you bringing it back in anytime soon?
I'll probably mention it when I bring it in for the 20k service but at this point it isn't bad enough to insist they fix it. If i hadn't had the problem before it would just be on the edge of me noticing an issue at all. I'll wait and see if it continues to get worse.

They did ask me about my trailer hitch as well but were not confrontational about it. Maybe it was because the service advisor asked me.

Propulsion unit (I guess that's the motor?) came in on Tuesday; got it replaced today.
No more clunking sound.
And it seems to be more quiet than the old unit. It's not as whiny :D

Back